Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:26:17 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  COVID Impact on Draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: COVID Impact on Draft  (Read 967 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: January 22, 2021, 07:22:29 am »

The draft is somewhere between an educated guess and a dart throw most years.  With all the draft capital that the Dolphins have for the 2021 draft, I'm concerned because with the 2020 college season being reduced/cancelled, a lot of top college players opting out of the 2020 season, and now the combine being cancelled (as of 3 days ago), the Dolphins (and every other team) are going into the draft with a lot less "actionable intel" on the players.  I'm expecting there to be more busts than usual in this draft across the NFL.  Of course the upside is that it will also enhance the possibility of some diamonds slipping down in the rounds because they didn't have a full final college season or the combine to showcase their talent.  My understanding is that there will still be Pro Days at colleges but those are always designed to showcase the positives and hide the negatives in the players.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:48:46 am »

I'm expecting there to be more busts than usual in this draft across the NFL. 

That's a fair prediction.  But it seems like such a crap shoot already, I think it may be even easier to pick guys, because you have less information to go on (I know that doesn't make sense on the surface).  You can just pick guys at positions that you need based on whether or not they've been good.  You don't have all these extra layers of combines, where they're measuring jumping ability and speed between cones and all this other stuff.  You don't have all these extra pro days and senior games where everyone is jockeying for some kind of recency bias.

I think there's a lot less chance of drafting a guy because he had a recent flare and you just have a feeling about him.  We're likely to err on sure bets and take fewer risks, no?

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:17:22 am »

On the flip side, there could be less because every year you have a handful of guys projected in the 2nd round to go in the Top 15 because they have great combines that overshadow their college performance. QBs are usually the main culprit with this.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:25:36 am »

Valid points by both of you.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Funny that you mention that, Edge.  Because I was going to add to my original post something to the effect of the NFL unemployment line being filled with guys who ran "amazing 40s" at the Combine or Pro Day. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:23 am »

It really does happen both ways.

You see guys that weren't great in college, but have all the measurables and you think it might be because they haven't grown up yet or been coached to their potential or haven't had the chance because of team politics or that their team was bad...whatever.  And then they just don't translate to the NFL.

But you also have really, really great NFL players like Eric Crouch or Manti Te'o (or even Tim Tebow) that don't meet the traditional measurables and they don't have nearly the same careers in the NFL.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:42 am »

It really does happen both ways.

You see guys that weren't great in college, but have all the measurables and you think it might be because they haven't grown up yet or been coached to their potential or haven't had the chance because of team politics or that their team was bad...whatever.  And then they just don't translate to the NFL.

But you also have really, really great NFL players like Eric Crouch or Manti Te'o (or even Tim Tebow) that don't meet the traditional measurables and they don't have nearly the same careers in the NFL.

My personal favorites are the "too slow" and "too small" guys who have outstanding careers because they can just flat out play football.  That is part of why Zach Thomas was always one of my favorite Dolphins. 
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:00:39 am »

They cancelled the Combine but they are still having Pro Days at colleges.  Plus all postseason college football games have been cancelled with the exception of the Senior Bowl.  

NFL scouting departments have their work cut out for them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:07:43 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 11:55:42 am »

Since I think that too many NFL personnel folks tend to overthink things on draft prospects, and put too much weight into combine results, I actually think this year's draft will end up having fewer draft busts.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:07:50 pm »

Since I think that too many NFL personnel folks tend to overthink things on draft prospects, and put too much weight into combine results, I actually think this year's draft will end up having fewer draft busts.

Interesting perspective.  I suppose that is as possible as anything else since this is pretty unchartered territory this year.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 03:00:45 am »

I brought this topic up months ago before we new what was going to happen with the college season, or when some conferences and players opted out for the season.

This is why I hope the Dolphins take some reliable players in the first two rounds, like Sewell, whether they need that position filled or not.  They could always trade away a great player the following year for multiple picks, like was done with Tunsil & Minkah.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 08:25:12 am »

Think that as with every draft more picks is better than high picks.  You have a better chance at getting one impact player with 2 second round picks than one first round pick.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 08:54:42 am »

I've always felt teams outsmart themselves in the draft. I know the Dolphins have. Have a need then take the best available option or take the best player available. Seems like too many try to find the diamond in the rough and think they can make it shine but most times it doesn't work out.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray