Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:49:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Texans Release JJ Watt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Texans Release JJ Watt  (Read 2730 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 03:32:20 pm »

I think he'd be looking at winning over money but it could still be a pretty large price tag.

I hope he's thinking that way because he is walking away from $17.5M for next year, and he's not worth that much at this point in his career.  If he gets $10M/year I think he would be doing good.  With his recent history of injuries he's not a 4 down player anymore.  That said I think he would be a good supplement to Miami's existing defense.  I can see him going to the Bucs, unless the Bucs lose some players.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 03:36:20 pm »

I am not a heats fan, but I have more respect for players who build their own team to win like the heat than I do the Yankees method of overspending everyone else.

The Yankees really haven't been overspending since Old Man Steinbrenner passed away, his kids are more cost conscious.  The Yankees have always had one of the best minor league systems for developing players, but they stupidly  trade away young guys for older veterans which I hate.  And let's not forget the Red Sox are no strangers to exceeding the salary cap.  Roll Eyes
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 04:29:00 pm »

I hope he's thinking that way because he is walking away from $17.5M for next year, and he's not worth that much at this point in his career.  If he gets $10M/year I think he would be doing good.  With his recent history of injuries he's not a 4 down player anymore.  That said I think he would be a good supplement to Miami's existing defense.  I can see him going to the Bucs, unless the Bucs lose some players.

I kind of think the Texans were going to cut him anyway because they would save a ton of cap space and have no dead money. For a broke team like them, it would've been a no brainer so both parties got together and agreed and did it this way. If I am right, it's a rare classy move by the Texans.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 04:51:09 pm »

He's been getting hurt lately.  Huge gamble here if you sign him to a big contract.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 05:40:05 pm »

He's been getting hurt lately.  Huge gamble here if you sign him to a big contract.

He played in all 16 games 2 of the past 3 years. He definitely isn't what he used to be but he won't be signing long term deals either. I would be surprised if he signs for more than 2 years and over $10 Million a year.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 06:07:07 pm »

JJ Watt has been an excellent football player.  But age and injuries are catching up to him.  The Dolphins have a bad history of bringing in guys towards the ends of their careers only to see them be a shell of their former selves.  They have squeezed one more good year out of a few of them, but they've also seen a few of them play way below the standard they had previously set in their careers.  If they can get him on the cheap, and I don't know why he would go anywhere on the cheap, then fine.  Otherwise, no thanks. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 06:36:31 pm »

You also have to remember that the Texans defense was one of the worst in the league last year while ours was one of the best. Put a great defensive player on a terrible defensive team and the numbers will look a lot worse than they really are. The reverse is true as well.

I would be very happy to take a chance on a motivated Watt. He is a great teammate and would only improve our locker room. Besides, not every position can be addressed in the draft. We are the youngest team in the league, a veteran presence would be nice.

EDIT: Watt was rated as the 7th best edge rusher out of 124 qualifiers in 2020. The dude definitely has some left in the tank.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:39:50 pm by EDGECRUSHER » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 02:13:21 pm »

Steelers are $30 Million over the cap and the GM still isn't endorsing Big Ben as his 2021 QB due to his cap hit of $41 Million. Cutting him would save them $9 Million but they have no real alternative at QB.

If this doesn't get fixed, I don't think Watt is coming to the Steelers. Even if he took $4 Million a year, which is nuts, they still can't pay anyone else and now they need a starting center too. Doesn't look like the Steelers will be contending much in 2021.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 06:04:12 pm »

Steelers are $30 Million over the cap and the GM still isn't endorsing Big Ben as his 2021 QB due to his cap hit of $41 Million. Cutting him would save them $9 Million but they have no real alternative at QB.

If this doesn't get fixed, I don't think Watt is coming to the Steelers. Even if he took $4 Million a year, which is nuts, they still can't pay anyone else and now they need a starting center too. Doesn't look like the Steelers will be contending much in 2021.

According to Spotrac Ben is being paid REAL cash money of $18M this year, the other $23M is dead cap money that was paid out in prior years.  So if they release Ben then the $23M still goes against the cap, and they have to pay another QB $???.  So if they bring in a QB for $18M they aren't saving anything in REAL dollars or cap dollars.  They would really benefit from bringing in Ryan Fitzpatrick on a 2-year deal for $11M ($5.5 per year) like Miami did, that would be a $13M savings in real and cap dollars.  At this point Fitzpatrick would be an upgrade, and more reliable to make it through the season versus Ben.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 12:51:31 pm »

He has signed with the Cardinals for 2 years/$31 Million.

Way out of our price range so I'm glad we passed. Cards were an interesting choice because they are a decent team with the arrow pointing upward but I wouldn't really call them a contender right now either. I think lots of teams were interested but no one was really close on the money Arizona offered so he went there.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:17 am »

Dang, that is a crap ton of money for someone with their best years behind them and starting to some injuries.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 08:28:01 am »

Dang, that is a crap ton of money for someone with their best years behind them and starting to some injuries.

He was good last year and he will probably be good for the next 1-2 years, but injuries can take it's toll and this money is not a deal for Arizona. It honestly looks like he just took the money and was fortunate that a decent team is the one that gave it to him. That way, he didn't have to be a Giant or Lion.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray