Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:21:14 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  USFL to re-launch in spring 2022
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: USFL to re-launch in spring 2022  (Read 4235 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 10:01:41 am »

I'm not sure why the NFL doesn't run a spring/summer league with all the teams so they can develop practice squad and undrafted/unknown players. They could run it just like the regular season but just a lower tier product. You could let all the spring league top tier players make the jump up to regular season, but not let regular season players move back down to the lower tier league.

It could also be used for a testing bed for proposed regular season rule changes. NFL/Dolphins football all year would be awesome. But then again, that shit would probably bring on liver failure, LMAO.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 05:10:16 pm »

I'm not sure why the NFL doesn't run a spring/summer league with all the teams so they can develop practice squad and undrafted/unknown players. They could run it just like the regular season but just a lower tier product. You could let all the spring league top tier players make the jump up to regular season, but not let regular season players move back down to the lower tier league.

It could also be used for a testing bed for proposed regular season rule changes. NFL/Dolphins football all year would be awesome. But then again, that shit would probably bring on liver failure, LMAO.

Not to mention you wouldn't be able to fit through the door unless you work in an industry like mine.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 10:08:31 pm »

The Arena Football League survived for over 20 years.  There's clearly a market.

Very true.  But I don't consider that football.  Kidding.  Well, half kidding. 
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 08:13:30 am »

BUMP

The first weekend of the USFL has been a complete disaster. Whoever the idiot is that thought of playing all the games in Birmingham is now seeing his failure come to fruition. With the exception of the Generals/Stallions, the games drew practically no one. And even that one game drew less than 12,000. And on top of that, they POSTPONE the Bandits/Maulers game because of inclement weather. Since when do you postpone a football game because of weather??

I honestly see this league going the way of the AAF.   It's gonna fold before the playoffs.  Meanwhile the XFL is doing it right, biding its time and setting up partnerships with the NFL.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 08:41:05 am »

BUMP

The first weekend of the USFL has been a complete disaster. Whoever the idiot is that thought of playing all the games in Birmingham is now seeing his failure come to fruition. With the exception of the Generals/Stallions, the games drew practically no one. And even that one game drew less than 12,000. And on top of that, they POSTPONE the Bandits/Maulers game because of inclement weather. Since when do you postpone a football game because of weather??

I honestly see this league going the way of the AAF.   It's gonna fold before the playoffs.  Meanwhile the XFL is doing it right, biding its time and setting up partnerships with the NFL.

There is a market but they overestimate how large it is. The NFL is very popular but a lot of that has to do with Gambling and Fantasy Football, two things the USFL or XFL won't really have. Some gamblers are complete degenerates and will bet on anything, but the casual gambler won't touch the XFL since they don't anything about it. Fantasy is obiously out the window too. For now, this leaves their core audience at the guys who will watch Missouri A&M vs. Nevada Poly Tech at 2 AM on ESPN 6.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2022, 04:29:16 pm »

For now, this leaves their core audience at the guys who will watch Missouri A&M vs. Nevada Poly Tech at 2 AM on ESPN 6.

So you're saying Stroke is their target audience. lol  I don't mind watching these games if I'm channel surfing and come across them, but I'm certainly not putting it into my schedule.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2022, 01:34:19 am »

Fantasy is obiously out the window too. For now, this leaves their core audience at the guys who will watch Missouri A&M vs. Nevada Poly Tech at 2 AM on ESPN 6.

So you're saying Stroke is their target audience. lol  I don't mind watching these games if I'm channel surfing and come across them, but I'm certainly not putting it into my schedule.

I represent that remark...   Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 01:57:06 pm »

There is a market but they overestimate how large it is. The NFL is very popular but a lot of that has to do with Gambling and Fantasy Football, two things the USFL or XFL won't really have. Some gamblers are complete degenerates and will bet on anything, but the casual gambler won't touch the XFL since they don't anything about it. Fantasy is obiously out the window too. For now, this leaves their core audience at the guys who will watch Missouri A&M vs. Nevada Poly Tech at 2 AM on ESPN 6.

I represent that remark...   Wink

Funny thing is, when I was watching the XFL's first weekend of play a couple years ago, they started off with a funny commercial involving a doctor and his assistant.   The doctor was going on about how fans suffer football withdrawal syndrome after the Super Bowl and the only cure is more football. 

That's why the key for the success of either league is twofold:

1.  Have your season during the NFL's offseason

2.  Stay out of NFL cities if you can.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2022, 02:34:17 pm »

The only way I could ever see caring about another league was if it played in the months that the NFL didn't and it included played "on loan" from the NFL that were getting experience and exposure.

...like if the Dolphins drafted some guy they were developing and he was playing WR for some bobo team until he was seasoned enough.  Almost like a spring training/minor league for the NFL but I bet the injury risk is too high.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2022, 08:09:07 pm »

The only way I could ever see caring about another league was if it played in the months that the NFL didn't and it included played "on loan" from the NFL that were getting experience and exposure.

...like if the Dolphins drafted some guy they were developing and he was playing WR for some bobo team until he was seasoned enough.  Almost like a spring training/minor league for the NFL but I bet the injury risk is too high.

What you described is what the XFL is trying to do.   But at the same time, they are taking guys who spent time in NFL training camps but didn't survive final cuts.   I even see guys who played in the NFL for a few years in niche roles.  Tarik Cohen and TJ Logan are perfect examples
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray