Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:18:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  USFL to re-launch in spring 2022
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: USFL to re-launch in spring 2022  (Read 4234 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: June 03, 2021, 09:53:00 am »

They said they will have at least 8 teams.  That along with the XFL will make next spring very interesting.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31559189/usfl-relaunching-spring-2022-least-eight-teams
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:11:53 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:18:16 am »

Not enough talent for 2 spring leagues, or viewership and attendance. The two leagues should merge immediately, they can actual do decent business if they play it smart.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:18:25 pm »

Not enough talent for 2 spring leagues, or viewership and attendance. The two leagues should merge immediately, they can actual do decent business if they play it smart.

This I very much agree with.  While I can't think of a full business plan for them to actually thrive, I can think of a few basic details.  Especially if you're going to have 16 teams.  Look at what went well and what went wrong for the AAF in 2019 and the XFL in 2020 for guidelines.  One thing above all else.... stay out of NFL cities.  Go to secondary markets that don't have NFL teams if you want to draw fans.  Places like Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, Albuquerque, San Diego, Memphis, Birmingham, Charleston, Wichita, Colorado Springs, St. Louis, and Hartford are good options.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 12:28:21 pm »

As usual, both leagues will fold by the middle of the season.  Countless alternative football leagues have formed through the years and none of them have survived.  That isn't going to change anytime soon. 
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 12:29:27 pm »

As usual, both leagues will fold by the middle of the season.  Countless alternative football leagues have formed through the years and none of them have survived.  That isn't going to change anytime soon. 

The new technology in both the AAF and XFL was starting to attract viewers and in person fans.  Do you think the AAF might still exist had it secured enough capital to operate for three years?   Do you think the XFL would still be around if not for COVID?
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:06:17 pm »

I've been meaning to mention that there is currently The Spring League playing, and I was wondering if anyone had been watching their games.  I think they play on Saturdays on NBC, I've watched parts of some games while flipping through the channels.  It's weird to watch because the stands are completely empty due to Covid, at least I think it's because of Covid. lol  They have two divisions, North and South, with four teams in each division.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 05:43:13 pm »

I've been meaning to mention that there is currently The Spring League playing, and I was wondering if anyone had been watching their games.  I think they play on Saturdays on NBC, I've watched parts of some games while flipping through the channels.  It's weird to watch because the stands are completely empty due to Covid, at least I think it's because of Covid. lol  They have two divisions, North and South, with four teams in each division.

Whoa!!!  I did some research on that league.  If you're in that league, you're way way down at the bottom rung and it's pretty much your last gasp before football is over for you.  Players actually have to pay $2000 to play in that league to cover their own room and board and they don't get health insurance either. These are guys that weren't drafted or signed as UDFAs.  No fans allowed because it's simply a showcase league and the guys in it are hoping to get that longshot chance.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:37:54 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 02:30:20 pm »

These leagues never succeed 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 03:54:36 pm »

As usual, both leagues will fold by the middle of the season.  Countless alternative football leagues have formed through the years and none of them have survived.
The Arena Football League survived for over 20 years.  There's clearly a market.

Of course, the ultimate dream for any of these leagues is to become the next 1960's AFL or 1970's ABA: become popular enough to force a merger with the big boys.  That was explicitly what Donald Trump tried to force with the USFL (the 30 For 30 on the USFL is a good watch).  The next best option would be to become affiliated (or ideally: purchased) as a development league, but I'm not sure if a football equivalent of the G League could work.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 09:30:59 pm »

I don't see the NFL merging with another league in my lifetime. How many teams can the NFL support and still have some semblance of parity? There are already teams that have been bad for decades. There just isn't enough talent.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 11:40:13 pm »

Whoa!!!  I did some research on that league.  If you're in that league, you're way way down at the bottom rung and it's pretty much your last gasp before football is over for you.  Players actually have to pay $2000 to play in that league to cover their own room and board and they don't get health insurance either. These are guys that weren't drafted or signed as UDFAs.  No fans allowed because it's simply a showcase league and the guys in it are hoping to get that longshot chance.

Really? doesn't seem legal (labor laws) to not pay them.  I watched part of the game between the Generals and the Seawolves (I think it was the Seawolves) this past Saturday.  Ryan Mallet was the QB for the Generals, the game is so much slower at this level that he looked amazing.  When I read up about this league I believe they said it was for UFA's, and NFL 2nd stringers, as well as guys that had been on NFL practice squads.  Obviously a very very low percentage of these guys can actually make it to an NFL starting roster; but some of these guys looked extremely lazy on the field, and it was only the 1st quarter.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 11:48:15 pm »

I don't think labor laws apply to me if you're the one paying me for the opportunity to play.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 12:20:40 am »

I don't think labor laws apply to me if you're the one paying me for the opportunity to play.

I know there are certain exemptions to labor laws for unionized employees, which I'm not sure is the case for Spring League players.  The payments by the players to the Teams could just be deemed reimbursement for housing/meal costs; BUT the players would still have to be paid.  Even cheerleaders have successfully sued teams for not paying minimum wage.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 12:22:58 am »

I know there are certain exemptions to labor laws for unionized employees, which I'm not sure is the case for Spring League players.  The payments by the players to the Teams could just be deemed reimbursement for housing/meal costs; BUT the players would still have to be paid.  Even cheerleaders have successfully sued teams for not paying minimum wage.

Well, maybe they all signed legal agreements that they are here voluntarily and this isn't a job.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 01:57:41 pm »

I can't believe we are discussing labor laws. This isn't a job. This isn't any different than any adult league in any sport except these guys are in a concentrated area so the competition is better and they haven't given up their professional dreams yet. I couldn't believe this garbage was on tv when I found it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray