Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  SCOTUS Rules 9-0 Against NCAA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: SCOTUS Rules 9-0 Against NCAA  (Read 5478 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 04:07:29 pm »

If the universities were putting that revenue in their pockets, maybe your argument would hold more water.
They are.  A university paying millions to a coach is no different than paying millions to a professor or a dean.  If a business were paying millions to its executives, you wouldn't say that business "isn't putting revenue in its pockets."

As of 2019, the highest-paid public employee in 40 states is a football or basketball coach.

But that revenue is being used to fund other sports that generate very little revenue or none at all (and that includes scholarships for those sports).
The revenue being used to fund, say, badminton does not come "from" football any more than it comes "from" tuition.  Revenue is revenue, and the funding for other sports is not tied to football revenue any more than the funding for the medical school is tied to football revenue.  It's all just money.

No one is going to tell UNC that they're not allowed to spend money on the law school because that money came "from" the basketball program.

When you look at the overall numbers in a school's athletic budget, you can say that the athletes are more than fairly compensated across the board. Most colleges barely break even with athletic revenue.
They "barely break even"... after they pay their coaches and ADs millions of dollars, and spend even more millions on stadiums, practice facilities, state-of-the-art equipment, blah blah blah.  But the one thing that they DON'T have money for is... paying the players.  Sure.

The idea that a ~$50k communications degree (which isn't even likely to be completed for the most valuable players!) is "fair compensation" is insulting.  Tell Jim Harbaugh that instead of receiving his salary as a coach, his kid can attend Michigan for free.  See how far that gets you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:10:18 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 07:32:42 pm »

If the universities were putting that revenue in their pockets, maybe your argument would hold more water. But that revenue is being used to fund other sports that generate very little revenue or none at all (and that includes scholarships for those sports). When you look at the overall numbers in a school's athletic budget, you can say that the athletes are more than fairly compensated across the board. Most colleges barely break even with athletic revenue.  Now the football and basketball players want to take a big bite out of that revenue.

I think your point is misguided.  Football and Basketball players at smaller programs that barely break even aren't going to be compensated that much because they really aren't generating much revenue off their likenesses.  It's the players at the top programs, which earn huge sums of money, that are the ones that are going to benefit the most.  Nick Saban is going to make $9.5 million this year, if Alabama was worried about their other sports programs he wouldn't be paid that much.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2022, 09:52:45 am »

Football and Basketball players at smaller programs that barely break even aren't going to be compensated that much because they really aren't generating much revenue off their likenesses. 

I'm bumping this thread because thanks to this ruling, things have gotten out of control pretty quickly.   

Caleb Williams, who balled out at Oklahoma last year entered the transfer portal.   He said that Oklahoma was still in the running, but everyone thought he would follow Lincoln Riley to USC.  Then it comes out that former NFL QB Charlie Batch is offering him $1 million to go play at Eastern Michigan.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/caleb-williams-offered-1-million-by-former-nfl-qb-to-transfer-to-specific-school/

That, plus seeing Travis Hunter spurn Florida State to go to a division 1-AA school tells me that the smaller programs can and will come up with the cash, through certain boosters and/or businesses.   And while the NFL has protocols in place to regulate how much money can be given to a player, the NCAA does not. 

This is going to turn college football into an all out bidding war, and I see it splitting up into amateur football vs NFL minor league type football.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2022, 10:28:28 am »

Aren't these kids supposed to be in school for getting an education, so at the very least they can sound somewhat literate and articulate while giving their post game interviews?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:30:56 am by stinkfish » Logged

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2022, 10:35:05 am »

Aren't these kids supposed to be in school for getting an education?

That's what college football was created for.   But for powerhouse programs like Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, USC, Miami, Florida, Florida State, etc... you are not a student athlete.  You are an athlete student.   When you arrive on campus, you are there to play football.   If it wasn't for football, you wouldn't have a scholarship and therefore wouldn't be going to school there.   So it's up to each athlete to be able to balance the rigors of being a Division 1 college football player (which in itself is a full time job) with being a full time college student.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2022, 12:04:36 pm »

Aren't these kids supposed to be in school for getting an education, so at the very least they can sound somewhat literate and articulate while giving their post game interviews?
No one seems to think that's necessary for baseball or hockey players, as the best players go straight into the minor leagues after high school.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2022, 03:07:34 pm »

I don't know. Never really thought about it. The answer is probably in your statement to me. Baseball and hockey have minor leagues where those athletes can train and be groomed into professional players on the big league level  if they can make it that far. Football doesn't have a minor league system so in effect college football has become the NFL's minor league system. Same exists for basketball too in some regard I suppose. I was in high school with a couple of hockey and baseball players who were drafted by pro teams before graduation. They went on to play collegiately but never made it anywhere. I'm not a hockey fan, but I know some, and am told that it's common practice for an NHL team to draft some kid out of high school because the drafting team sees some potential in them. All comes down to rules maybe for each individual league. NBA stopped drafting players straight out of high school until fairly recently. Now I think a college basketball player has to at least complete two years of college before becoming draft eligible.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2022, 03:12:14 pm »

The bottom line is that regardless of what it used to be or what it's intended to be or what you wish it were, college football programs aren't about education at all.  They are a business.  They are a fundraiser.

Student athletes are essentially employees of that business.  And they've been denied compensation and worse yet, have been denied the ability to compete against what's essentially a monopoly.

All judges saw through that veil of bullshit.

Now, it opens up a shitstorm for the reality of how to work out that compensation, but that's a separate issue.  You don't continue to do things that are illegal bullshit just because the fallout of having to deal with it is inconvenient and complicated.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray