Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  How Not To Develop A QB
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How Not To Develop A QB  (Read 1511 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: October 27, 2021, 09:13:53 am »

It seems that the Dolphins learned absolutely nothing from the Tannehill debacle.  After using a 1st round draft pick on Ryan Tannehill and then proceeding to do pretty much everything wrong in his development, Tanny predictably went to the Titans where he has been a very good QB.  Not great, but very good and certainly good enough to QB a Super Bowl contender.    Jump forward to Tua.  Another 1st round pick, and this one a Top 5 selection.  He comes in last year as a Rookie with no training camp and has to learn on the fly.  His confidence was obviously shaky last year.  And then they start making him look over his shoulder all the time worrying about being benched for Fitzy.  Waiting to get benched is no way to gain confidence for a rookie QB.   And now this year he has been dealing every day with the possibility of the Dolphins replacing him permanently with Watson.  Yet somehow he has still been pretty solid for the most part, other than some mental mistakes which hopefully go away with experience.  But the point is that the Dolphins seem to do the exact opposite of everything that should be done when developing a young QB.  It is like the Dolphins go out of their way to do the opposite of the right thing in just about every situation. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:19:04 am »

I think Tua has been treated way worse than Tanny. With Ryan, we played him from Day 1 but we never got him an O-Line and year after year he set records for being sacked. A miracle he only had one major injury with us. With Tua, the reasons you stated above go beyond not getting him a better Right Guard.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 11:43:56 am »

I think Tua has been treated way worse than Tanny. With Ryan, we played him from Day 1 but we never got him an O-Line and year after year he set records for being sacked. A miracle he only had one major injury with us. With Tua, the reasons you stated above go beyond not getting him a better Right Guard.

I disagree, I think Philbin was a lot worse on Tannehill than Flores is with Tua.  Philbin and staff completely impeeded Tannehill's development.  Philbin was all around terrible with all Miami draft picks.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:05:11 am »

One thing both QB's have in common:   The Dolphins keep switching offensive coordinators on them.   Tannehill went through five or six offensive coordinators when he was here.  Tua is already on his second one.   New offensive coordinator = new offensive system.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 08:57:12 am »

One thing both QB's have in common:   The Dolphins keep switching offensive coordinators on them.   Tannehill went through five or six offensive coordinators when he was here.  Tua is already on his second one.   New offensive coordinator = new offensive system.

I agree.  Constantly rotating systems makes Rookie quarterbacks essentially permanent Freshmen.  It is hard to reach your potential when you are constantly having to learn new systems.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 09:00:20 am »

Technically, he is on his 3rd one since we have 2 right now in some type of failed XFL experiment.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 09:14:19 am »

Our player selections have been horrible and yet the way they have treated Tua pales in comparison. This franchise is run as bad as it's ever been and that is saying something.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 11:38:42 am »

Our player selections have been horrible and yet the way they have treated Tua pales in comparison. This franchise is run as bad as it's ever been and that is saying something.

It is but I still defend our first 2 picks in the 2020 draft. Tua obviously but we needed an OT and Jackson was the best one left. I think people forget that the 2020 draft was the Offensive Tackle draft, Jackson was the 5th OT off the board at pick 18. Number 6 was Isaiah Wilson who is already out of the league for behavior issues and the next O-Linemen off the board was taken by us, Robert Hunt.

Austin had a solid first year considering he was projected to take some time, his garbage play this year I blame on coaching almost 100%. OT's don't regress in Year 2, especially not the way Austin did. It's just not a position that gets worse that quickly without age and injuries settling in.

As far as 2021 goes, I have said ad nauseum that the trade down from 3 to 6 was an utter disaster at the time and somehow looks even worse now. I would've fired him just for that. Jury is out on Phillips but it's really early and he was hurt last week, that's why he barely played. He is getting better and can be really good for us. The consistent draft trades are stupid.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray