Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:19:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  A technology annoyance involving notifications.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A technology annoyance involving notifications.  (Read 810 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 09, 2021, 01:35:20 pm »

I have several notifications tied to my phone.  But they aren't intuitive enough, to the point that they're kind of annoying.

There are several examples:

Gmail has a chat feature that I use regularly.   I get notifications to my phone that pop up when I get new messages.  However, these notifications pop up when I'm logged into gmail on a PC and am actively chatting with someone.....so it just keeps telling me I have notifications all the time.  Annoying.

Another is with XBOX.  I have an XBOX app on my phone.  It tells me when my favorites are logging on to XBOX or when I'm invited to play a game.  However, it does this when I'm logged in and playing on my XBOX.  A phone notification that a friend is online is unhelpful when I'm already online getting that information first-hand.

...not sure where I'm headed with that thought, but I like that tech is trying to keep me informed, but it needs to be smarter about how it works.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 04:44:21 pm »

Yahoo mail does that every time an email comes in one of my 3 accounts. I wish there was a way for it to just check every few hours instead of beeping every 5 minutes. Then add all the other apps on my phone that do the same thing. It does get annoying

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 04:20:16 am »

I turn off every audible notification on my phone that is not one of the following:

1) another human trying to communicate with me in real time (phone call, text message, or something equivalent)
2) an alarm I previously set

There is nothing I find more annoying than my phone beeping or buzzing over something that does not require my immediate attention.  The last thing in the world I want is to be woken up by my phone because I received an e-mail letting me know a game on my Steam wishlist went on sale.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 09:24:28 am »

I turn off every audible notification on my phone that is not one of the following:

1) another human trying to communicate with me in real time (phone call, text message, or something equivalent)
2) an alarm I previously set

There is nothing I find more annoying than my phone beeping or buzzing over something that does not require my immediate attention.  The last thing in the world I want is to be woken up by my phone because I received an e-mail letting me know a game on my Steam wishlist went on sale.

That's the rub -- for your #1, I largely agree.  Someone reaching out to me via instant messenger is a notification I don't mind -- it's real time.  But when I'm actively using the software on another system, namely a computer or game system, the notification serves no purpose.

I definitely need to go in and reduce some settings that I haven't dealt with due to laziness.  And there are some apps I've had to essentially remove because they're more interested in annoying me than being useful.

There was an app called NextDoor that is supposed to be a sounding board for your neighborhood.  Things like "hey, I lost a dog"...."there was a break-in last night', etc.  Firstly, it has information that goes way, way, way beyond what I'd call my neighborhood -- things from cities away.  And it kept buzzing with notes like "Hey, is anyone else from North Jersey?  I just moved here."  In my opinion, the general public doesn't really understand social media and what outlets are appropriate for different kinds of messages and conversations.

Super annoying.

And Facebook is the G-D worst, which sucks, because I think it can be such a useful tool.  My "feed" consists of people who I loosely know commenting on subjects that they subscribe to and I don't.   So, let's say I'm a fan of the Dolphins.  It's fine to push me discussions within that topic.  But along with that, I get a bunch of "things you might like" posts from some chick I went to high school with commenting on a meme from "Wine Moms" or some stupid shit.  A lot of it is "only geniusiz (sic) can name a word that ends with 'ant'" and then 2000 stupid-ass responses."  It's awful.   I would just bail on it, but I need it for some clubs I'm in and I do like the idea of having some form of loose communication with pretty much everyone I've ever met, just as a way to reach people, learn about major life events, etc.

I also find that some apps have too black/white a line for notifications.  This is a hypothetical, but let's say an app like "Offer Up".   I wouldn't mind if someone posts a question or makes an offer on something I'm selling -- that's valuable information to me, so I would like to be notified in real-time.  Yet, I definitely don't want a notice that says "new Aquarium related items for you" buzzing in my pocket because I looked for a fish-tank 6 months ago.

In most of these cases, I bet there are options to get the app to work smarter for you, but I don't often take the time to delve into anything other than the default settings.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 03:30:45 pm »

I've noticed on Facebook that posts from people that are actually on my friends list has dropped dramatically and have been replaced with random bullshit and advertisements. Their algorithm that determines what's in the newsfeed sucks. They should just have all your friend's posts listed chronologically by default then let you hide or unhide the people you want.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 05:44:32 pm »

The only notifications I get are a vibration on my phone for a call,  a text, and score updates on the teams I set uo. Screw having anything else.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray