Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:50:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  This may be why no one traded for Watson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: This may be why no one traded for Watson  (Read 2258 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 01:10:23 pm »

I seriously doubt that.  They don't have the draft capital Philly does, nor the cap space.   I saw a tweet that the deal with Philly was done at the time I posted about it.   Now it's gone.

Browns were told Watson won't go there, the top Carolina beat writer said the Panthers are out and the Saints just had their 2nd visit with him. Falcons aren't out of it yet but it's looking like 90% to the Saints. They have some draft picks but in terms of cap space and what picks will be left, they basically have to win with Watson with the team they have the day of the trade.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2022, 01:12:19 pm »

The Saints have almost $30 million in dead money now that the league year has started and nothing can be done about that. They are also only $30 million under the cap, despite needing to sign a bunch of players. Watson alone would be $40 million.

That's not to say it can't be done. Almost any amount of cap can be pushed into the future, but if you're down $30 million in dead money, that's not exactly helping.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 01:29:41 pm »

The Saints have almost $30 million in dead money now that the league year has started and nothing can be done about that. They are also only $30 million under the cap, despite needing to sign a bunch of players. Watson alone would be $40 million.

That's not to say it can't be done. Almost any amount of cap can be pushed into the future, but if you're down $30 million in dead money, that's not exactly helping.

Options for Watson are limited because he has the no trade and not many teams can afford him or even have a need for him. That's why his market is limited and weird teams like the Saints and Falcons are in the mix. Falcons would also be crushed with dead money if they moved Ryan, and they would have to obviously. Neither teams can really afford him draft pick or salary cap wise but they will max out their credit cards for him and pray for the best.

Falcons should've traded that #4 pick and rebuilt, they were stubborn and now they're in bad shape. I'm sure Matt Ryan is not happy about this talk either.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 07:35:02 pm »

Watson traded to Browns for 3 First Rounders, a 3rd and a 5th. Immediately signs a 5 year/$230 Million deal with all of it guaranteed. In all honesty, we don't know what our offer was, but we had the 3rd pick in 2021. That was much better than a bunch of late 1st rounders since we probably threw those in too. Houston held on for too long.

The Browns are now Superbowl contenders......like 7 other AFC teams. Dear God, this conference is death for us.

Bills
Browns
Chiefs
Broncos
Chargers
Raiders
Titans
Ravens

Going to be brutal, we don't stand a chance unless we have the best coaching and draft in the league.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray