Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:03:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What do you think about your local library?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do you think about your local library?  (Read 1081 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 01, 2022, 03:01:25 pm »

I'm sure this means I'm old, but I've rediscovered my local library recently and I friggin' love the shit out of it.

I take my kids who get to try out new books (specifically graphic novels), which they can read through in a day.  Plus, there are a lot of books you don't want to buy or own, but are fun -- like guiness records, where's waldo, behind the scenes of movies books, etc.

For me, I have been borrowing a lot of old movies that you can't get on streaming -- they have a ton of new stuff too on Blu Ray.  I have borrowed some sheet music books and photocopied some stuff.  It's super easy and convenient.  And now so much of it is digital that you can really get a good idea of what they have without stepping foot in there + they'll reserve and hold and move stuff from other libraries.  It's great.

My kids were just there the other day and this lady was like "hey, we're about to start a painting exercise about this African American artist's style.."  And they had a little painting session with an art history lesson.  It was dope.

So, use your libraries, if you don't.  They're a great resource.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 03:10:32 pm »

I'm sure this means I'm old, but I've rediscovered my local library recently and I friggin' love the shit out of it.

I take my kids who get to try out new books (specifically graphic novels), which they can read through in a day.  Plus, there are a lot of books you don't want to buy or own, but are fun -- like guiness records, where's waldo, behind the scenes of movies books, etc.

For me, I have been borrowing a lot of old movies that you can't get on streaming -- they have a ton of new stuff too on Blu Ray.  I have borrowed some sheet music books and photocopied some stuff.  It's super easy and convenient.  And now so much of it is digital that you can really get a good idea of what they have without stepping foot in there + they'll reserve and hold and move stuff from other libraries.  It's great.

My kids were just there the other day and this lady was like "hey, we're about to start a painting exercise about this African American artist's style.."  And they had a little painting session with an art history lesson.  It was dope.

So, use your libraries, if you don't.  They're a great resource.
I went when I was a kid before the internet was around. But I guess at my age I can pretty much find anything I want on the internet and download it. What instrument do you play?

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 03:22:07 pm »

All this library talk reminds me of a joke:

My dick was in the Guiness Book of World Records....until the librarian told me to take it out.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 03:46:58 pm »

What instrument do you play?

Piano.

I download chords offline pretty regularly, but there's nothing as precise as the actual chord progressions from the publisher.  You get more accurate sus and 7s and all that.....so, like while A may sound fine.....Asus7/C# might be the better way to play it.  And it's gonna be in the right key.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 04:01:35 pm »

Piano.

I download chords offline pretty regularly, but there's nothing as precise as the actual chord progressions from the publisher.  You get more accurate sus and 7s and all that.....so, like while A may sound fine.....Asus7/C# might be the better way to play it.  And it's gonna be in the right key.
As someone who's played guitar since the 80s I definitely agree. I use tablature and never learned to read music. Getting the right notes and chords on guitar is tricky depending on how complicated the fingerings are. Especially when the same notes and chords can be played in multiple positions and/or strings

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 04:49:15 pm »

Libraries are a great place for community gatherings.   Like Dave said, they have exhibits, movies, arts and crafts, etc....   They also double as free internet cafes for people who don't have smartphones.   And they have tons of classes and/or lectures on different topics.   

At my local library, they have free seminars on investments, technology, and a whole host of other topics.   I've gone to a few.  I also make it a point to take my younger kids there at least once a month.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 01:24:02 pm »

Edit: I removed a bunch of bullshit.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 03:00:52 pm »

Used to love the library. Oddly enough, they just opened up a new one where I live, but kind of hidden inside a strip mall, really out of the way of everything. I might check it out soon and bring my nephew who I read books with since everyone in the world got dumber when they stopped reading.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 03:13:41 pm »

We had a library in our neighbrhood but we never used it after my kids got to middle school. Everything they needed was online at that point. Other than going there to vote I'm not sure what goes on in there these days.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 04:00:58 pm »

I took my nephew to the library when he was younger and we read a lot of comic books.

My dad actually discovered the library as a source of DVDs several years ago.  The 21st-century version of Blockbuster Video is free.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 04:09:25 pm »

What I find pretty weird is that a lot of times, I'm looking for some super old DVD from the 1950s or 70s or something and it's checked out.  ...and they'll have several copies.  Granted, there a lot of people in the pool of borrowers, but still...  I guess people are using that service.

I'll probably start hitting up graphic novels.  That's something that I bought in the past, but you read it and then they're done.  I'm not much of a display your stuff person.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 01:57:20 pm »

Bump --

So, I have been using the county library system.  It's close and there are several libraries that are involved.  You can put a hold on a title in Boca and they'll move it to West Palm for you.  It's pretty great.

However, I just realized that there is another library in West Palm, but it is a city library, unaffiliated with the county system.  So, that's different stuff, different funding, etc.

I got a card today and I rented a video game that I wanted to finish, but didn't want to have to go buy.  But I saw crazy stuff -- they have a technology center with studio spaces, 3D printers.  I even saw this guy learning to drive on this simulator chassis.  This library also has a movie streaming service for free.  You don't even have to go in.  In fact, you don't even have to live in the city AND you can apply online and they'll mail you a card.

And for becoming a member, they gave me a coupon for a free coffee in their cafe.  It feels like stealing.

My brother told me that his local library has a seed bank where you can grow plants.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 03:37:28 pm »

My local library is a 200 year old building that is fairly small. But the system is state-wide here, so i could go to a different city library. Mystic has a reasonably nice library. I took my son to D&D camp at the Guildford Library.

There's a large technology section at the Guilford library. All the ones here i've seen shelves of video games for borrowing. I got a free subscription to the NYTimes app through the library, which is nice. There are also recording studio type rooms where i've seen people recording podcasts and stuff.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray