Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:27:32 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Homelessness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Homelessness  (Read 1161 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 26, 2022, 03:54:51 pm »

This is an issue that I find problematic but also interesting.

And I think that there's really no way to fix it because it's just so many broken components at the same time that would need full overhauls.  I don't even know how you curb it.

I think that there are two kinds of homeless -- people who are down on their luck and need assistance or tools to not be homeless.  And then you have people who are not mentally capable of not being homeless.  Even if they had a house, they'd still be homeless.

I guess there's things you do to help a little with all this stuff, but there is no solution that I can see being offered by anyone, me included.  I guess you just try to ease suffering along the way, while not having too much of a danger or eyesore to your city.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 09:30:47 pm »

give everyone a home, that minimizes homelessness as much as is possible
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 06:41:03 am »

give everyone a home, that minimizes homelessness as much as is possible

With what money??
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 08:29:14 am »

If you've spent any amount of time around homeless people then it's not hard to understand Dave's point. Many homeless don't have the mental capability to take cae of themselves but there is a third companent as well. I would sat there is also a portion of society that is completley content to be free and homeless.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:18:06 am »

I would sat there is also a portion of society that is completley content to be free and homeless.

These probably fall into the mentally ill.  I think it's also maybe not the norm.

I think the the biggest number of homeless come down to drugs and alcohol abuse.  So, you can get them a place to sleep, but you can't solve the overarching problem until that issue is addressed.

There are some people that are straight up mentally ill and are always going to have major issues being a part of any organized society.  Still, you can do better -- you can make counseling and medicine available, but it's a different problem.

There are some people down on their luck that don't want to be homeless, but don't have the tools, support system, etc to get back on their feet, take a shower, get employed, have an address, etc.  This is probably the group that is the most helpable.

And then you have the people CF are referring to -- houseless people who aren't necessarily homeless.  Like, Nomads.  But I think they're not a big part of what we're talking about.

I do think there's some merit in Fau's plan on giving a place to live.  There's issues with it, but it's viable and cost effective.  I still dont think it fixes the issue because then you're going to have other issues that need working out, but it would definitely curb the issue.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 03:33:35 pm »

If you've spent any amount of time around homeless people then it's not hard to understand Dave's point. Many homeless don't have the mental capability to take cae of themselves but there is a third companent as well. I would sat there is also a portion of society that is completley content to be free and homeless.

I know people who are homeless.  And others that were homeless and are not anymore.  None of them mentally ill.  All of them were living paycheck to paycheck and then either got sick or lost their job and missed a few checks and couldn't afford rent. 

I am not saying that there aren't some who are homeless because of mental illness or choice, but 100% of the ones I know it is because the lack of a social safety net.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 04:25:06 pm »

With what money??

Who cares ?

if we can make money up out of thin air to bail out wall street bankers and wage a decade long ware in the middle east, then we can make money up out thin air to house the homeless
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 04:18:01 pm »

I gravedug this thread because I saw an interesting point today that had me rethinking some things.

It was critical of how we look at homelessness by region, rather than as a nationwide problem.

For example, California has a gigantic homeless population, but many of them come from other places, because the weather is nice -- if you were going to be homeless, you'd rather sleep outside in LA than in Minnesota.  But for that same reason of a desirable location, housing there is crazy expensive.  If we battled homelessness from a nationwide level, we could better afford to build free housing in parts of the country that isn't nearly as costly, and also encourage migration to areas that need labor -- where we are now relying on migrants.

I just thought it was an interesting take.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 04:34:03 pm »

For example, California has a gigantic homeless population, but many of them come from other places, because the weather is nice -- if you were going to be homeless, you'd rather sleep outside in LA than in Minnesota.
Additionally, there are many examples of regions "solving" their homeless problem by giving homeless people a free one-way ticket to some other area with more robust programs supporting the homeless.

This is yet another example of how liberal areas subsidize their more conservative neighbors by paying for social programs to deal with a problem that conservatives are unwilling to directly address.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 08:33:06 pm »

Makes sense. I was in Hawaii a few years ago and there were A LOT of homeless. Mostly from out of state. Hawaii had started doing was offering those folks a one way ticket back home. What I got from some locals was that people would pack up what they could, buy a one way ticket to Hawaii and hope, or assume, that they could find work and housing out there. Didn’t work out well for a lot of people.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 12:34:06 pm »

The article is about a man being bussed from San Francisco to Indiana. Hardly the picture of liberals picking up anyone's slack.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 02:26:49 pm »

I gravedug this thread because I saw an interesting point today that had me rethinking some things.

It was critical of how we look at homelessness by region, rather than as a nationwide problem.

For example, California has a gigantic homeless population, but many of them come from other places, because the weather is nice -- if you were going to be homeless, you'd rather sleep outside in LA than in Minnesota.  But for that same reason of a desirable location, housing there is crazy expensive.  If we battled homelessness from a nationwide level, we could better afford to build free housing in parts of the country that isn't nearly as costly, and also encourage migration to areas that need labor -- where we are now relying on migrants.

I just thought it was an interesting take.
I disgree and this is why. If that was the case then Florida would be homeless central and New OYork City would have none. While weather is defienitely hlpful in this attractiion it has much more to do with social policies.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 04:26:20 pm »

We've got our fair share CF. Last time I drove to Daytona I felt like I needed a shower.

Side note, has anyone walked the Vegas strip in daylight? Disgusting.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 07:11:04 pm »

While weather is defienitely hlpful in this attractiion it has much more to do with social policies.

Maybe, but it's not causation, likely.

If one state feeds the homeless and the other state doesn't, the homeless will migrate there.  It doesn't MAKE more homeless, it just gathers the homeless.  I'm just using that an an example.

Also, Florida has a pretty good amount of homelessness.  We aren't at the top of the list, but there's a ton of it, especially in the big cities.  Miami downtown is just like any other major city. 

Bottom line is that there are desirable places to live in the country, homeless or not -- Florida, New York, California....that's where real estate costs are high, because there's a lot of demand.  So, it's to reason that there'd be lots of homeless there.  Nobody wants to live in Iowa, homeless or not.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 04:53:03 pm »

We've got our fair share CF. Last time I drove to Daytona I felt like I needed a shower.

Side note, has anyone walked the Vegas strip in daylight? Disgusting.
LOL ... I'm in Daytona all the time and it's no worse than most cities. Daytona used to have a huge influx of teen runaways and as such was a huge place for trafficking and drugs. The police have cleaned up a lot of that. Heck ... the City is trying hard to run many events and people out of town as they want to be a family destination again. Gone are the days of MTV Spring Break. Most of the bigger Bike Week events are held outside of the City of Daytona which was a blessing when they tried to shut it down over covid.

Maybe, but it's not causation, likely.

If one state feeds the homeless and the other state doesn't, the homeless will migrate there.  It doesn't MAKE more homeless, it just gathers the homeless.  I'm just using that an an example.

Also, Florida has a pretty good amount of homelessness.  We aren't at the top of the list, but there's a ton of it, especially in the big cities.  Miami downtown is just like any other major city. 

Bottom line is that there are desirable places to live in the country, homeless or not -- Florida, New York, California....that's where real estate costs are high, because there's a lot of demand.  So, it's to reason that there'd be lots of homeless there.  Nobody wants to live in Iowa, homeless or not.
We have plenty of homeless in Orlando as well but do not have the tent cities that pop up on the streets in places like LA and San Fran. Most of our homeless live in the woods away from the average persons eye excpet at intersections begging for money. I have no idea the numbers but I'd be willing to bet we are much less than California.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray