Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:42:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 1378 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 11:14:11 am »

There was a small line in this week's episode that I felt is really what sets this show apart.  It's almost a nothing line, but I feel like it gives us a lot of character understanding without having to get into it.

The woman that runs the place is talking about how they share community resources.
And Joel says "isn't that like communism?"
Tommy kinda stumbles over his words and says "oh, no, it's nothing like that."
And the woman jumps back in and says "It's literally communism.  We live in a commune."

I just thought it was a neat little exchange, because I feel like I learned so much about Tommy and Joel and who they were before the outbreak.  But also, the world building aspect that politics as we knew it is out the window and systems that some consider terrible on a large scale might make sense on the small scale.  Or that ideologies don't matter when you're just trying to live.  There's lots of ways to interpret it.

It's not like a game-changing line or anything, but I think it's about 5 seconds of dialogue that gives you a lot to unpack, as the viewer.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 12:12:41 pm »

I was totally expecting those monkeys to turn into fungus-monkeys...or "fonkeys."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 04:41:23 pm »

I just thought it was a neat little exchange, because I feel like I learned so much about Tommy and Joel and who they were before the outbreak.  But also, the world building aspect that politics as we knew it is out the window and systems that some consider terrible on a large scale might make sense on the small scale. 
I felt this way about it but the more I thought about it the less I felt it was communism because she said she was elected. If in fact they are having fair elections then it's only communism in a much smaller sense. Also no one has anything to begin with so no one is losing or giving up anything by chipping in. I also have to wonder what they will do with anyone who does not do their fair share. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 09:12:15 am »

I felt this way about it but the more I thought about it the less I felt it was communism because she said she was elected. If in fact they are having fair elections then it's only communism in a much smaller sense. Also no one has anything to begin with so no one is losing or giving up anything by chipping in. I also have to wonder what they will do with anyone who does not do their fair share. 

Semantics aside, communism doesn't exclude democracy. You can very well have a communist democracy. Communism is an economic system, whereas democracy is a political system.

Just like you can have a Capitalist absolute monarchy. (saudi arabia)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 09:15:48 am »

Yeah, you can have dictatorships or authoritarians or monarchies and they can be communist, fascist, capitalist, whatever.

Communism is about how things are owned.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 09:57:45 am »

I just wanted to pop back in here and say that season 1 is over.

I don't think it ever hit the high of episode 3, which was just superb, but it did end strong.  There were a few points where I thought the show might become a little more like traditional scripted TV and it had one or two stumbles, but overall, a great season of television.

The finale was one of the better episodes of the series.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray