Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:31:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 1414 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:31:30 am »

My favorite show right now is The Last of Us on HBO.

You've probably heard people talking about it.

I think it's specifically worth mentioning the 3rd episode of the series, which I think is one of the single best episodes of TV I've ever seen.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:46:47 am »

It's been interesting so far. We haven't seen episode 3 yet but should tonight. I almost didn't open this thread for fear of spoilers.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:08:00 pm »

It's been interesting so far. We haven't seen episode 3 yet but should tonight. I almost didn't open this thread for fear of spoilers.

I would never do this.

I do think that Episode 3 does a good departure from the formula and really opens up what the show can be.

I drink your milkshake!
DenverFinFan
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 01:12:56 pm »

Worth watching if you have never played the games? I have no idea what this is about but always heard positive things
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:42:16 pm »

Worth watching if you have never played the games? I have no idea what this is about but always heard positive things

Yes.

I played the beginning of the game, but I am not coming to this as already a fan of the material that knows the story.  It's really superb.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 11:20:37 pm »

I watched episodes 2 & 3 tonight. Yeah, ok...episode 3 was nothing short of brilliant.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 10:00:14 am »

I was meh on episode 3. I guess if I was excited to see "that" on tv it might have excited me but it really reminded me of the Walking Dead episodes where they focus on one's personal story that has no real revelance to what's really going on. I was kind of bored through much of it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 10:28:30 am »

^^^ I'm curious whether "that" in parentheses means "the poignant human interest story" or the "gay romance aspect that gave you the heebie-jeebies." If the former, then I'd have to wonder what you were actually watching. If the latter, I would suggest you just ignore all the stuff that made you uncomfortable and just focus on the "really cool wall of guns."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 11:23:11 am »

^^^ LOL to your predictable response. FYI I had originally wrote “if you were excited to see a gay couple on tv” but chose not to expose any spoilers. But nice job for anyone who hasn’t seen it as the “reveal” was part of the charm of the show I presume.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 11:40:21 am »

^^^ LOL to your predictable response. FYI I had originally wrote “if you were excited to see a gay couple on tv” but chose not to expose any spoilers. But nice job for anyone who hasn’t seen it as the “reveal” was part of the charm of the show I presume.

It is pretty rare these days that you post anything I find worthy of a response,  so I have to assume that your use of predictable means "what I'd expect from anyone who isn't a far right clone like myself."

But yeah, I imagine that episode could bring out the homophobe in quite a few people...

(cue the "Well I have a lot of gay friends," "I have several gay coworkers," "I grew up with a bunch of...etc...) (<<<--- that's a REAL example of predictability)

~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 12:15:16 pm »

I'm not gonna dump on anyone who isn't comfortable seeing two bearded dudes kiss.  I squirm with it myself.

I give this episode a lot of credit for delivering the intimacy and passion, without the gratuitous "LOOK AT IT" about it.  The same is true with multiple cases of death and morbidity.  They gave you several situations where you got the emotion and the reading of the scene but spared you the private stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 01:36:35 pm »

Hate to break it to you Stroke but yes, I have gay friends too. Some are conservative but most are quite liberal. Went on a cruise with a married gay classmate from Chicago and had a blast.  Being gay isn’t really a big deal today except for Hollywood. 

If the traveler who wandered into the trap and fell in love with the prepper was a woman I’d have felt the same. I don’t like those boring stand alone stories that have nothing to do with the actually story I’m watching. Don’t like it on the Walking Dead and don’t like it here. I get bored.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 02:35:18 pm »

I don't think the story would work if the person in the hole was a woman.  I think that this idea of Bill not coming to terms with who he was until after society had fallen was a core component to his arc.

So much of the symbolism in the show, like painting a house, tending a garden because you believe in a future, making art....essentially beauty for the sake of beauty.  These were concepts that were not possible until Frank.  And Bill wasn't capable of accepting a life with Frank until everything else was wiped away.

....a really good story.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 03:16:47 pm »

I don't think the story would work if the person in the hole was a woman.  I think that this idea of Bill not coming to terms with who he was until after society had fallen was a core component to his arc.

So much of the symbolism in the show, like painting a house, tending a garden because you believe in a future, making art....essentially beauty for the sake of beauty.  These were concepts that were not possible until Frank.  And Bill wasn't capable of accepting a life with Frank until everything else was wiped away.

....a really good story.
If that is true then I missed him coming to the realization he was gay. I thought his piano song was speaking about a previous love and he said it wasn't about a woman?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 03:38:56 pm »

There were several hints to start.  I think the very first thing was the conflict in Bill when he finds him in the hole.  At first, he wants to be Mr. Tough Guy but you can see he's struggling with isolationism.  That's not a gay thing, but more of a companionship thing.

The next was how he served the food.  He rotated the plate, in a proper way, so that the meat was facing his guest.  ....not specifically gay, either, but showed that he was more refined that we might have thought.

Then he poured the wine like a sommelier, twisting the bottle.  He knew to pair the wine with Rabbit.

"I know I don't look like the type."   "Oh, no...you do."

I think that Frank knows that Bill is gay at that point.

Then, Frank selects a song that Bill would like and it's Linda Ronstadt.  And only then, does he lay it on with the line about the woman after Bill sings it tenderly.

There's a lot of hinting at it amidst the tension in the room.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray