Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:28:30 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami Declines 5th Year Options on Noah and Jackson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Miami Declines 5th Year Options on Noah and Jackson  (Read 942 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: May 02, 2023, 08:57:39 pm »

These decisions were even easier than picking up Tua's option. Noah may get released this offseason and Jackson is godawful but somehow still our RT.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 03:43:29 am »

These decisions were even easier than picking up Tua's option. Noah may get released this offseason and Jackson is godawful but somehow still our RT.

I wouldn't bank on Jackson being our starting RT.

Between his poor play and then total absence last season, if we're not planning on shuffling things around, we should be. It's already been done before.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 08:32:49 am »

I wouldn't bank on Jackson being our starting RT.

Between his poor play and then total absence last season, if we're not planning on shuffling things around, we should be. It's already been done before.

I would like to think so but we didn't address the O-Line at all in free agency or the draft. Moving Hunt to RT then leaves a hole at RG, not to mention he will be a free agent next year and he will be hard to keep at RT prices.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 09:00:34 am »

Noah Igbinoghene is unlikely to be cut since $1.6 million of his $2.1 million contract is fully guaranteed making the cap savings significantly less than a minimum wage replacement ($750k). You could argue that keeping him is a classic sunk-cost fallacy, but in this case, I think the roster spot itself is probably worth more than the savings.

I would like to see Noah under a new defensive coordinator. Maybe something can be salvaged. He did have the best "passer rating against" of any defensive back, so he wasn't bad when he actually saw the field.

It also felt like he almost never played, but he actually played just over 20% of all defensive snaps (and 9% of special teams snaps). That's almost the same number of total snaps as Nick Needham and more than Verone McKinley. Neither of those is getting a visit from the Turk, obviously, but unless we target someone in free agency, I think Noah gets a chance to stick around for one more season. At the very least he will stick around until final cuts (since his contract is guaranteed), so he will get every chance to make an impression on Vic Fangio.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 10:11:29 am »

I would like to think so but we didn't address the O-Line at all in free agency or the draft. Moving Hunt to RT then leaves a hole at RG, not to mention he will be a free agent next year and he will be hard to keep at RT prices.

So far it looks like were trying out Alama Uluave, DJ Scaife, Alex Jensen and Jarrett Horst from the UDFA list.

DJ Scaife played both RG & RT for the Hurricanes, and if by some miracle turns out to be OK could potentially wind up next to Hunt.

Uluave played at center and guard for the Aztecs, so he could be potential backup at an inside position (or possibly just a camp body).

Jensen & Horst played at LT, so again potential backup players for the edge linemen or camp bodies.

Yes this is all a bit of a reach - but if you consider that both Shell & Jones (both fresh off the scrapheap) outplayed Jackson when he managed to be on the field last season, it's realistically not looking good for him. Eichenberg should be worried too for that matter.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 10:24:32 am »

Noah Igbinoghene is unlikely to be cut since $1.6 million of his $2.1 million contract is fully guaranteed making the cap savings significantly less than a minimum wage replacement ($750k). You could argue that keeping him is a classic sunk-cost fallacy, but in this case, I think the roster spot itself is probably worth more than the savings.

I would like to see Noah under a new defensive coordinator. Maybe something can be salvaged. He did have the best "passer rating against" of any defensive back, so he wasn't bad when he actually saw the field.

It also felt like he almost never played, but he actually played just over 20% of all defensive snaps (and 9% of special teams snaps). That's almost the same number of total snaps as Nick Needham and more than Verone McKinley. Neither of those is getting a visit from the Turk, obviously, but unless we target someone in free agency, I think Noah gets a chance to stick around for one more season. At the very least he will stick around until final cuts (since his contract is guaranteed), so he will get every chance to make an impression on Vic Fangio.

Noah also just may have some trade value to a team looking for a CB and are impressed with what he's done (from what little time he's actually spent on the field). It could be enough potential and the contract is cheap enough for someone to part with a pick (albeit inevitably a low one).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 09:54:22 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 12:18:03 pm »

Although these guys certainly haven't played up to their 1st round draft pick expectations, they do provide good depth at their positions for the right price.  Just as Davante Parker stuck around at a fair salary I think it would be a good move to keep them around if they are willing to take what gets offered to them.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray