Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:51:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The Chiefs and lining up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Chiefs and lining up  (Read 709 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: December 11, 2023, 03:25:59 pm »

Three times it's hurt them big time.

The first was Dee Ford.  This was even larger than yesterday.  He was literally in the backfield.  I really hate Dee Ford.

The second was in Super Bowl LV.  It was really obvious and stupid.  

The third was yesterday.

Now if Mahomes wants to challenge that call, I'd say bring it on.  Can you show me examples of this not being called?

One thing people have to understand about the rule is that receivers can confirm with officials that they are lined ON the line of scrimmage.

For example, in the Philly Special, the Philly receiver checked with the ref and got confirmation, meaning it was okay.

I don't know if they are allowed to check if they are onsides or not.

Now here's a question about defensive players.

Can they jump across AT THE EXACT TIME the ball is snapped? Or do they have to wait for the ball to be snapped before they jump across?

Also, why is a false start not allowed to continue for the offense, but a offensive player lining up offsides IS allowed to continue?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:29:17 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 03:32:22 pm »

I think that Mahomes just made a big deal of it and is too deep.  He was complaining to Josh Allen during the QB handshake, in the presser, screaming on the sidelines.  I think Reid just has his QB's back so he's helping him take the heat.

These guys are just wrong.  This isn't a "let them play" situation with judgment involved about amount of contact.  It's a hard line.  Toney can check -- or you can just not put yourself so close and give yourself some space.  It sucks that it overturned a really cool play, but would we even be talking about this if Mahomes threw an incomplete pass?  Blaming the refs for an objectively correct, verifiable, non-judgment call seems like a weird hill to die on.  Mahomes is turning himself into an NFL villain.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:57:32 pm »

The ref said “Yes, ultimately, if they looked for alignment advice, certainly we are going to give it to them,” Cheffers said. “But ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up. And, certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far offsides where they’re actually blocking our view of the ball."

Pretty funny if you ask me. I just wish Andy hadn't joined in on the whining.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
AQNOR

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 08:19:32 pm »

I agree with Peyton Manning's take on this.   An offsides play should be blown dead, just like a false start is.  Same for illegal formation.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 10:06:47 am »

^ Why?  The defense is not awarded that courtesy.

If the defense is offside, the offense gets a chance to make a play anyway and decline if it doesn't go their way.  The defense should have the same opportunity.  The rules are so offensively weighted now, anyway.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 01:56:20 pm »

I agree with Peyton Manning's take on this.   An offsides play should be blown dead, just like a false start is.  Same for illegal formation.

I disagree. The offense could get 1 yard, and then it be 4th down and the defense would decline the penalty.  Otherwise then every play should be blown dead as soon as a penalty occurs.
AQNOR

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 03:08:25 pm »

^ Why?  The defense is not awarded that courtesy.

If the defense is offside, the offense gets a chance to make a play anyway and decline if it doesn't go their way.  The defense should have the same opportunity.  The rules are so offensively weighted now, anyway.

They should be awarded that courtesy.   Like Peyton said, an offsides play should be blown dead and five yards assessed.   He never said it was for offense or defense.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 04:01:50 pm »

If the defense gets a turnover or a much larger negative play then they can wave the offsides. It should be played out just like it was.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 01:37:15 pm »

They should be awarded that courtesy.   Like Peyton said, an offsides play should be blown dead and five yards assessed.   He never said it was for offense or defense.

It doesn't matter whether it's offense or defense offsides, this rule has been in place forever.  Depending on the situation either side could benefit from running the play and you take that away from them by stopping the play.  No reason to change the rules because Mahomes wants to cry about it.  Being onsides is the simplest infraction not to break.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 03:44:04 pm »

along that same note we had a free play that got stopped the other night and all I could think is Brady and other elite QBs would have went off on that ref.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 03:51:38 pm »

This was in the rear-view mirror for me, the minute it happened, because it's such a black & white violation.   But I keep seeing it referenced and meme'd.  There's an image floating around from Monday night of Waddle being similarly (maybe a little less) offsides and not having it called.  I just don't even understand what they're saying.  Yeah, the ref missed it.  Refs miss holds and false starts and all kinds of crap all game.  Because a ref missed one call in a separate game, they therefore shouldn't call a penalty on you that you acknowledge is a penalty you committed?   ...just weird logic.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 04:23:11 pm »

This was in the rear-view mirror for me, the minute it happened, because it's such a black & white violation.   But I keep seeing it referenced and meme'd.  There's an image floating around from Monday night of Waddle being similarly (maybe a little less) offsides and not having it called.  I just don't even understand what they're saying.  Yeah, the ref missed it.  Refs miss holds and false starts and all kinds of crap all game.  Because a ref missed one call in a separate game, they therefore shouldn't call a penalty on you that you acknowledge is a penalty you committed?   ...just weird logic.
It's akin to disciplining your child and they try and justify why doing wrong is ok because other kids are doing it. It doesn't work then and it doesn't work in the NFL. Well.... it used to not work but times they are a changing. hahaha

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray