Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:30:05 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Odell Beckham Jr.'s Contract Incentives and Conditions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Odell Beckham Jr.'s Contract Incentives and Conditions  (Read 550 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 16, 2024, 01:37:47 pm »

Saw this and thought people might be interested in just what incentives are in ODB's contract outside of the 3 million base.

There is a condition that the Dolphins must finish in the top 20 in the NFL in points scored as a pre-condition on all of the incentives.

- $400,000 if Beckham records at least 566 receiving yards

- $800,000 if Beckham records at least 650 receiving yards

- $1 million if Beckham records at least 800 receiving yards

- $400,000 if Beckham records at least 36 receptions

- $800,000 if Beckham records at least 45 receptions

- $1 million if Beckham records at least 55 receptions

- $400,000 if Beckham records at least four touchdowns

- $450,000 if Beckham records at least six touchdowns

So it looks like he wants 55 receptions, 800 yards, and 6 TDs to get the full amount.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 01:40:46 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 03:39:59 pm »

I hope he gets it, but I don't think this is in the cards.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 04:14:04 pm »

I think the goal is to limit Hill and Waddle during the season. They had a ton of yards but were both running on one leg by seasons end. No one knows for sure until the season starts but there are assumptions he will use third receiver (OBJ) and TEs much more than in the past.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 05:00:22 pm »

Incentive based contract for receivers is a double edge sword, it has the benefit of paying a productivity player, but saving money on a less productive player.

Problems can occur if the player feels he is doing his part but isn’t being targeted enough, even without incentives it is not uncommon for there to be issues with receivers becoming disruptive because they feel they aren’t targeted enough.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 06:58:06 pm »

Problems can occur if the player feels he is doing his part but isn’t being targeted enough, even without incentives it is not uncommon for there to be issues with receivers becoming disruptive because they feel they aren’t targeted enough.

A younger WR or one who thinks they may wind up with a Superbowl ring may but that aside, thinking they will make up the money with a future contract or endorsements.

That said, I don't think we are going to be anything like a Superbowl contender this year. Love to be wrong though.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 08:19:14 pm »

Incentive based contract for receivers is a double edge sword, it has the benefit of paying a productivity player, but saving money on a less productive player.

+1

I think it's better to have a #1 receiver on an incentive based contract, when it's the #3 receiver not so much.  Tua was very good last year at getting rid of the ball quickly, but that came at the detriment of him being able to go through his progressions.  IMO that leaves OBJ with only plays that are designed to go to him, and if Hill and Waddles are healthy that doesn't leave much for him.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 10:23:56 am »

+1

I think it's better to have a #1 receiver on an incentive based contract, when it's the #3 receiver not so much.  Tua was very good last year at getting rid of the ball quickly, but that came at the detriment of him being able to go through his progressions.  IMO that leaves OBJ with only plays that are designed to go to him, and if Hill and Waddles are healthy that doesn't leave much for him.
I think you guys are missing that people sub in for Hill and Waddle all game. While I'm sure all 3 will make it tot he field sometimes. OBJ will be coming in for them. They also missed 4 games between them so someone had to play those. Our other WRs got almost 100 catches last year with Cedric Wilson getting the most. Cedrick alone had 38 targets. Are you thinking we are bringing in OBJ and playing these other guys ahead of him? I don't think so.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 10:36:43 am »

I think you guys are missing that people sub in for Hill and Waddle all game. While I'm sure all 3 will make it tot he field sometimes. OBJ will be coming in for them. They also missed 4 games between them so someone had to play those. Our other WRs got almost 100 catches last year with Cedric Wilson getting the most. Cedrick alone had 38 targets. Are you thinking we are bringing in OBJ and playing these other guys ahead of him? I don't think so.

What I am saying is that if OBJ is not reaching his metrics this type of contact increases the likelihood that OBJ will gripe when the QB throws to a different receiver. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray