Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 08:57:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Does Tony Dungy...suck?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does Tony Dungy...suck?  (Read 4541 times)
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« on: January 15, 2006, 05:19:05 pm »

Please DO NOT come on here and start being a jerk, I actually want to have this a thoughtfull conversation.

I think Tony Dungy sucks.  He's a great Regular Season coach.  His teams are always competitive and highly ranked.

HOWEVER, every single year, a Tony Dungy coached team doesn't come through in the clutch (Tampa and now Indy).  I thought this 2 years ago, but gave benefit of the doubt.  Last year, they played the Pats again, so I was like "well one more year he'll do it".

Then this year, he goes 13-0, and then the wheels come off.  Yes he lost his son tragically this year, but NO, it had no effect in this game.  

I'm a big believer in history repeating itself, and every year, Tony Dungy simply cannot get it done in the playoffs.  He's 5-8 in post-season play with teams like Tampa, who won the Super Bowl the year after he left (so basically the same team), and then the Colts, who have a high-powered offense, and this year, there were 1972 Dolphins comparisons.  

I would love to hear comments on this.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 06:25:26 pm »

Please DO NOT come on here and start being a jerk, I actually want to have this a thoughtfull conversation.

I think Tony Dungy sucks.  He's a great Regular Season coach.  His teams are always competitive and highly ranked.

HOWEVER, every single year, a Tony Dungy coached team doesn't come through in the clutch (Tampa and now Indy).  I thought this 2 years ago, but gave benefit of the doubt.  Last year, they played the Pats again, so I was like "well one more year he'll do it".

Then this year, he goes 13-0, and then the wheels come off.  Yes he lost his son tragically this year, but NO, it had no effect in this game.  

I'm a big believer in history repeating itself, and every year, Tony Dungy simply cannot get it done in the playoffs.  He's 5-8 in post-season play with teams like Tampa, who won the Super Bowl the year after he left (so basically the same team), and then the Colts, who have a high-powered offense, and this year, there were 1972 Dolphins comparisons.  

I would love to hear comments on this.

You do have a point there, Joe.  You'd think with the Colts finally having a defense, they would click on all cylinders and the playoffs would be a walkover for them.  Now they're gonna spend all winter and spring wondering what might've been.  
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:58:46 pm »

I think sucks is a harsh word, the guy is a flat out good coach,  and to tell you the truth, for the life of me I couldn't explain why this happens to a Dungy team every single year.  I truly feel bad for the guy seeing how this year turned out, and Indy was clearly the best team in the NFL.  If this doesn't scream "don't rest your starters at the end of the regular season"  then you'll always have this result.  
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »

and to tell you the truth, for the life of me I couldn't explain why this happens to a Dungy team every single year.

This answers my question.  He's had EIGHT YEARS of playoff football.  Not all 8 years, with Tampa and Indy, can be chalked up to random bad luck.  

Good regular season coach, unsucessful playoff coach.

CdnDolfan

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 04:41:13 am »

I think Peyton Manning overruling Dungy's decision to punt pretty much says it all.  Reminds me of what Drew Bledsoe did to Pete Carroll.  
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 05:37:04 am »

The Colts were out of sinc.  I think you can add a lot of blame for this loss to 5 weeks of meaningless football and other contributing factors such as death and stab wounds.  I think they kill Pittsburgh if they were to play again next week under the same circumstances but unfortunately it only matters on that particualr Sunday.  I would always welcome Tony Dungy to coach my team whether it was regular season or the post season. That goes for having Payton as a QB as well before someone says he can't win the big one.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:38:29 am by CF_DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:56:58 am »

I think Peyton Manning overruling Dungy's decision to punt pretty much says it all.  Reminds me of what Drew Bledsoe did to Pete Carroll.  

Good Point, I remember what you're talking about.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 07:20:44 am »

Elaborate.

I drink your milkshake!
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 09:37:30 am »

The Colts were out of sinc.  I think you can add a lot of blame for this loss to 5 weeks of meaningless football and other contributing factors such as death and stab wounds.  I think they kill Pittsburgh if they were to play again next week under the same circumstances but unfortunately it only matters on that particualr Sunday.  I would always welcome Tony Dungy to coach my team whether it was regular season or the post season. That goes for having Payton as a QB as well before someone says he can't win the big one.  Roll Eyes

Very well said.  I agree.
CdnDolfan

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 09:46:18 am »

Elaborate.

During Pete Carroll's tenure as the Pats HC, he had a reputation of being a pushover and getting no respect from the vets.  The most visible being the MNF against Miami, when Bledsoe overrode Carroll on almost all offensive coaching calls in the 4th period of that game when they were mounting a comeback.  Carroll looked like a little kid being given a time-out on the sidelines.  That's one where I believe Bledsoe injured his hand on Darryl Gardener's helmet.  

I'm not saying Dungy is a pushover or gets no respect from players, but a lot of Dungy's facial expressions in that 4th quater reminded me of Carroll.  
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 10:43:09 am »

The Bucs would have won the 2002 Superbowl if Dungy had still been there. He got screwed on that one.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 11:14:26 am »

How do we know that for sure?

gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 11:38:33 am »

The Colts were out of sinc.  I think you can add a lot of blame for this loss to 5 weeks of meaningless football

Ohh please, the eagles took the same approach last year. They rested their starters the last 2 weeks, and had the bye week and they went to the super bowl.

Next excuse please................
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:39:09 am by gocowboys31 » Logged

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray