Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:44:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Cold Pizza
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cold Pizza  (Read 4972 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: January 25, 2006, 10:53:52 pm »

Does anyone watch this show? I know its full of BS most of the time, but  apparently today they had a story about Saban telling Gus we are bringing in another veteran QB to start next year. More or less he told Gus that he's done.

A friend of mine told me this, and I did see mention of it on another fan board.
Can anyone confirm this story?

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 11:05:53 pm »

No but I love Dana Jacobson and if I ever meet her I'd ask her to marry me right now, I love you Dana

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:21:22 pm »

I only caught about a half hour of Cold Pizza this morning before I had to drag my butt to the office, but I didn't hear anything about that. Interesting comment though...I'd be interested in the specific quote behind the "more or less he told Gus" part.  While it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Saban go after a veteran FA QB, it would surprise me to hear Nick show his hand early in this sort of matter. He's shown that he's fluent in ambiguous and hasn't shown any tendency to speak rashly with a camera on him.

No but I love Dana Jacobson and if I ever meet her I'd ask her to marry me right now, I love you Dana

Now we're talking...Dana is great! A woman that hot who can talk sports to ya after a rousing session of slap-and tickle is pure bonus.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:08:56 am »

Nevermind, the report was denied...

Frerotte defends his play

Quarterback wants chance to keep job

By Alex Marvez
Staff Writer
Posted January 26 2006

MOBILE, Ala. -- Gus Frerotte has heard enough.

Admittedly frustrated with ongoing media speculation about how the Dolphins are trying to find a new starting quarterback for next season, Frerotte spoke up Wednesday about why he should be given the chance to keep the position.

"I feel like I played well," Frerotte said in a telephone interview. "I was playing injured [with a sprained right index finger] and feel like I deserve some credit. But then again, being a quarterback can be a thankless job sometimes.

"I know I'm not going to be here in 10 years and play until I'm 45. I know teams are always looking toward the future. But I still feel I can play. I'm smart and I can make the throws."

Quoting an NFL source, ESPN's Cold Pizza show reported Wednesday that Frerotte was told by Dolphins coach Nick Saban that his starting days are likely over and the team will seek a veteran quarterback in free agency. ESPN reported that Frerotte was so disappointed by the news that he began contemplating retirement.

Frerotte, 34, denied Wednesday that such a conversation had taken place.

Through a team spokesman, Dolphins coach Nick Saban said the report was "absolutely not true."

Saban refused to field questions about specific players during a Wednesday morning news conference at the Senior Bowl, but he did offer an update about the team's quarterback evaluation at this point of the offseason. Current backup Sage Rosenfels is set to become an unrestricted free agent March 3 when the signing period begins, while third-stringer Cleo Lemon has yet to attempt a pass in a regular season game.

"One of the goals we have is to develop the players we have so somebody can be a starter in the future or to bring somebody that has the potential to be a future starter," Saban said.

"Gus did a nice job for us this year. Hopefully, he'll be able to continue to do that. But I think long term, we certainly need to get somebody that can be a potential starter for us down the road and add depth and quality at that position short term."

Depending on how the quarterback search unfolds, Frerotte could benefit from Saban's decision to keep the framework of the current offense in place even with new coordinator Mike Mularkey replacing Scott Linehan, who left the Dolphins last week to become St. Louis' head coach.

Frerotte was a Dolphins starter last year largely because he had thorough knowledge of Linehan's offense from having spent the 2003 and 2004 seasons with him in Minnesota.

"If you change your offense, it's a whole other learning curve you have to go through," said Frerotte, who has played for five other NFL teams. "The guys took so long to learn the offense last time that by keeping the same thing we're a step ahead. I don't want us to take another step backward."

Saban also doesn't want a unit that averaged 26 points during a season-ending six-game winning streak to lose momentum.

"This offense we have is really the Miami Dolphins offense and I don't think anybody should lose sight of that," Saban said. "Everybody that sits in the room on our staff has made a contribution to building that offense from the ground up in terms of the language we use. That's not something we want to change for the players.

"If we're not smart enough as coaches to learn the terminology we need to let the players have success, then we're not the kind of teachers we need to be. I'm totally confident that we will be able to do that."

Frerotte said he considers the 2005 campaign the best of his 12-year NFL career. Although he was ranked near the bottom of the league in completion percentage (52.0) and quarterback rating (71.9), Frerotte threw a career-high 18 touchdown passes and had a starting record of 9-6.

Frerotte also provided stability at the position that was sorely lacking in 2004 when Dolphins opponents returned an NFL-record eight interceptions for touchdowns. Frerotte threw 13 interceptions in 494 pass attempts with none returned for scores. In comparison, Dolphins quarterbacks had 23 interceptions on 548 attempts in 2004.

"Obviously I didn't go to the Pro Bowl or anything," Frerotte said. "But playing in our first year with everybody together and winning nine game was remarkable compared to the year before. We dealt with a lot of situations and stuck together. I thought it was a really good year for everybody being new."

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:00:18 am »

it would surprise me to hear Nick show his hand early in this sort of matter. He's shown that he's fluent in ambiguous and hasn't shown any tendency to speak rashly with a camera on him.

Thanks for the follow-up rumor shoot-down, and for providing four handy examples to confirm the statement above:

* Saban refused to field questions about specific players during a Wednesday morning news conference...

* "One of the goals we have is to develop the players we have so somebody can be a starter in the future or to bring somebody that has the potential to be a future starter," Saban said.

* "Gus did a nice job for us this year. Hopefully, he'll be able to continue to do that. But I think long term, we certainly need to get somebody that can be a potential starter for us down the road and add depth and quality at that position short term."

* "This offense we have is really the Miami Dolphins offense and I don't think anybody should lose sight of that," Saban said.

Now be honest, did Saban reeeeally tell us anything with those nuggets?<g> No sir...slick as a whistle. There's yet another reason why Nick should have been Coach of the Year...he has already mastered the media.

Take that, Lovie!  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 07:49:14 am »

i second that !

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 07:51:07 am »

That show is a joke. Do yourself a favor and NEVER quote it as a source. It's embarassing. Skip Bayless is a fraud. I compare it to saying 'well aliens must exist because I read it in the Inquirer'.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 07:54:28 am »

That show is a joke. Do yourself a favor and NEVER quote it as a source. It's embarassing. Skip Bayless is a fraud. I compare it to saying 'well aliens must exist because I read it in the Inquirer'.

I agree 100%.  There are three media sources you can never trust when you hear rumors about a team:

Pro Football Talk

Cold Pizza

Around the Horn with Max Kellerman
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 09:38:02 am »

Who gives a crap?? DANA DANA DANA!!!!  Kiss

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »