Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:00:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Betting "the window".
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Betting "the window".  (Read 2368 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:30:59 pm »

A buddy of mine brought up an interesting idea the other day, that I'd never really thought of.  It's called "betting the window".  It's where (when you have a decent spread), you bet the favorite to win outright, and you also bet the underdog w/the points.

Take the Superbowl for example:

You'd bet 1000 on the Seahawks to cover.
You'd bet 1000 on Pitt to win.

The risk is that if Pit wins and covers, you lose a little bit of money (the juice, plus the money line).
If Seattle covers, you win a little bit of money.
But if Pitt wins "in the window", within the spread, you win both bets, and take in a heaping ton of cash.

The risk seems fairly low for the reward.  Am I missing something here?

I drink your milkshake!
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:07 pm »

I don't know...I no speako da gambling

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:20:19 pm »

My experience with bookies is that there are not straight up bets unless that is where they set the odds. If the game has a line on it I have never heard of anyone ebing able to place a straight bet. I am not big in the scene, so I could be wrong.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 09:03:29 pm »

My experience with bookies is that there are not straight up bets unless that is where they set the odds. If the game has a line on it I have never heard of anyone ebing able to place a straight bet. I am not big in the scene, so I could be wrong.

Yes, this is wrong.  You can place a straight bet even if there is a line, but it just doesn't pay even money.

For example, if Pitt is favored and you bet $100 on Pitt, you might only get $70 if they win.
But if Seattle wins, and you bet $100 on them, you might win $130. 
(those are just made up numbers)

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 03:09:16 am »

Yes, this is wrong.  You can place a straight bet even if there is a line, but it just doesn't pay even money.

For example, if Pitt is favored and you bet $100 on Pitt, you might only get $70 if they win.
Do you mean your original $100 back + $70 in winnings ($170 total), or just $70 (so, net of -$30)?

ADeadSmitty
Uber Member

What can Brown do for us?

ADeadSmitty
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 10:13:08 am »

This is basically right. You will get a straight-up bet vs. the spread, but you won't get even-money on Pittsburgh to win, as you said below. If you win the Steelers bet you will win less than what you bet.

So the three possibilities, ignoring the juice, are:

1. Seattle wins. You break even (win your even-money bet on the Seahawks, lose your uneven bet on the Steelers).

2. Pittsburgh wins and covers. You lose a little money (lose your even-money bet on the Seahawks, win your uneven bet on the Steelers.)

3. Pittsburgh wins but Seattle covers -- "the window". You win a lot (win both even-money on the Seahawks and uneven bet on the Steelers).

This bet is basically a "lottery ticket" style bet. You are almost certain to either break even or lose money. But if you hit the window, you will win a lot. But it's a pretty small chance that you would hit it.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 10:16:54 am »

A safety is +600. Worth a shot !

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray