Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:45:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jerome Bettis calls it a career.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jerome Bettis calls it a career.  (Read 2749 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:16:42 pm »

Bettis announced his retirement, and I want to give him props for stepping down before it was sad.

Do you think that this Super Bowl solidified him in the Hall of Fame?

I drink your milkshake!
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:48 pm »

Possibly. He was the #5 all time runningback. He may not be an automatic in 5 years, but he will get there.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 08:39:17 pm »

Bettis announced his retirement, and I want to give him props for stepping down before it was sad.

Do you think that this Super Bowl solidified him in the Hall of Fame?

I think the fact that he didn't go to another team two years ago when he was a free agent solidified him in the hall. Had he gone somewhere else, and limped thru two seasons, it would've tarnished his accomplishments. The fact that he stayed in Pittsburgh kept his reputation intact. (see Eddie George for an example of what I mean)

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:10:53 pm »

Bettis pretty much said it in the post game show.

"The Bus's last stop is here in Detroit"

I figured that was pretty much his official announcement.

I wonder if it'd be different had Seattle won...?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:28:03 pm »

I think the fact that he went out on top will get him in on his first year of eligibility. He has the stats, he had the character and now he has the championship. It will still be fresh enough in the voters' minds to impact their vote.

If he isn't a first-year HoF, I'll be genuinely surprised.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 11:11:17 pm »

I think he hung around too long, personally.  Last season was supposed to be his last, and so was the year before that.

Jerome Bettis is a whore who would have played next year had the Steelers lost the Super Bowl. 

Reminds me of when Ray Borque whored out to the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL, and rode Joe Sakic to a Stanley Cup, when he was 59 years old and couldn't cut it with Boston.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 11:53:34 pm »

I think he hung around too long, personally.  Last season was supposed to be his last, and so was the year before that.

Jerome Bettis is a whore who would have played next year had the Steelers lost the Super Bowl. 

Reminds me of when Ray Borque whored out to the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL, and rode Joe Sakic to a Stanley Cup, when he was 59 years old and couldn't cut it with Boston.

This is nothing like the Bourque situation at all. I loved Ray Bourque, but he basically asked to be traded to a legitimate contender so that he could win a Stanley Cup, since he knew Boston wasn't close back then. Bettis had the chance to leave Pittsburgh a few years back as a free agent, but Cowher convinced him to stay in Pittsburgh. Bettis also had the chance to retire after last year, and Cowher asked him to come back for one more year. Bettis had said earlier this year that it was goign to be his last.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 01:41:13 am »

Possibly. He was the #5 all time runningback. He may not be an automatic in 5 years, but he will get there.

Exactly.

Like Philly said,  he was pretty much convinced to come back by others,  and it's not like he was put in the position to carry the team.  I'm sure if it were all on him he WOULD have retired 2 yrs. ago. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:20:51 am by Thundergod » Logged
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 08:49:54 am »

I was just sick of the NFL reach-around party that was the last 2 weeks with Jerome Bettis "coming home", which is total BS.  He's a BACK-UP, 3rd down RB!!!  If this was 4 years ago, OK, because he was still a top-notch RB.  But he's a has-been hack who, for not the Colts being stupid, wouldn't even be here because of him and his stupid fat ass and his fumble.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 11:18:11 am »

As the #5 all time RB he had already locked his position in the hall (I mean seriously they have allowed in a lot less) and his SB victory and ring was just a nice way to part from the game for him. I have always, always hated the Steelers but I have always respected and liked the Bus as well. See you in Canton Bus!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 05:35:17 pm »

I think Bettis' numbers are inflated a bit. Yes he is #5 on the yardage list. I believe he is also #3 on the number of carries list as a result of that. The guy averaged below 4.0 yard per carry for his career and in 9 of 13 seasons he was 3.8 or lower. The guy was what he was, a workhorse back you could give the ball to 30 times a game if needed. Do I think he will make the Hall, certainly. I don't think he was one of the great runners though (I usually save that tile for the elusive guys personally).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray