Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:55:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Kudos to Gonzo!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kudos to Gonzo!!!!!  (Read 5885 times)
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« on: February 08, 2006, 05:40:24 pm »

Two weeks ago a female co-worker of mine was telling me this story about Gonzo (Luis Gonzales) of the Arizona Diamondbacks (for those of you who live under a rock) Her son is a friend/soccer teamate of the boy who is written about in this article. They both attended the fueneral and although they did not witness this they did hear from others that he was also in attendence. I was kind of upset that this story did not even make the local news. Well finally one of our local news stations (Channel 12) and the Arizona Republic got word of this story and put it to print. It is a touching story that I think many of you will enjoy reading. Great Job Gonzo, you are a stand up guy and it must be hard to be in your position and see all of these sick and dying children all of the time. As a father I know how truly hard it can be to witness a dying child, yours or not. But to still take the time and go out of your way on more than one occasion to make this childs dream come true is what makes you a real hero!!!!!

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/danareporternotebook02072005-CR.html

Gonzo's midnight hospital visit

Joe Dana
12 News
Feb. 7, 2006 12:20 PM

The relationship between the fan and the sports star is seasonal. But on one night in January, during a time the baseball season is still in hibernation, a Diamondbacks player pulled through in the clutch. It was the kind of moment that makes sports stars true heroes in the eyes of their fans. But you won't read about this in the sports pages.

13 year-old Nicholas Daniels had one last wish before death. He wanted to meet his baseball icon. This was understandable, given that Nick loved sports. At four years old, Nick endured a grueling fight with Leukemia and received chemotherapy. For nearly the next eight years, he played and watched everything sports. But his true loves were soccer and baseball. Then last summer the Cancer returned. It became apparent that he would only live a couple more weeks.

Time for last wishes.

After a written plea from his 13 year-old best friend, and with help from the Valley charity “Positive Impact”, Nick learned he would get his wish. Luis Gonzales scheduled to visit Nick where he was bedridden at the Phoenix Children’s Hospital ICU. But before the anticipated visit, Nick went unconscious. His body began shutting down. Doctors couldn’t guarantee he would wake up again.

Not wanting to wait, Luis drove to the hospital. When he arrived, Nick had been unconcscious for several hours and was not responding.

So there they waited patiently in the hospital room: mom, a nurse, and the World Series champion. Minutes, then an hour went by. No response. Gonzo left his cell number and made everyone promise they would call him if Nick woke up again.

“His mom was afraid it was too late, that he would never be able to meet Luis,” said Rhonda Christenson, a Positive Impact volunteer.

Nick very well could have slipped away without ever knowing. Without ever knowing that his celebrated idol who he watched fight off the stinging slider in 2001 to win it all, was sitting right next to him.

It was now midnight. Gonzo was on his way home when his cell phone rang. Nick was awake again.

That night, only those closest to Nick know exactly what the two talked about in that hospital room.

“Baseball, life, everything ,” said Christenson.

They probably shared stories about sports. Nick was a soccer goalie when he wasn't playing baseball. Maybe Nick asked Gonzo what it’s like to hit a 90-mile-an-hour fastball. Or what it's like to play at Yankee stadium. Whatever that middle of the night conversation was about, it made Nick feel proud- and probably a little more at peace.

When their visit ended, Christenson recalls how Nick was so happy, but also worried.

“He said (to Gonzo), ‘I can’t believe you’re here. My friends are never going to believe it.' He was really worried his friends would not believe him, that he and Gonzo were friends” she said.

So Nick’s mom took a picture of the two together, and four days later Nick died.

On January 30th, hundreds gathered to celebrate Nick’s life at a reception at Hendrix Junior High in Chandler.

During Nick’s memorial service, classmates, teammates and families gathered to remember Nick.

Then Luis Gonzales walked through the auditorium doors. Nobody expected that.

But Nick and Gonzo were friends. And now everyone knew.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 05:54:39 pm »

Very cool story...Luis has always been a class act, and this is just further proof.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:59:12 pm »

Good for him, taking time off to see him isn't anything special, but devoting yourself emotionally to this is a very tough ordeal.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:18:53 pm »

I don't follow baseball and have never heard of Luis Gonzalez - but now I'm a fan of his. 

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:25 am »

Good job Gonzo.  Now actually show up to a meaningful at-bat in your career.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 09:08:46 am »

Very cool story...Luis has always been a class act, and this is just further proof.

Except for the steroid abuse

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 09:10:47 am »

Good job Gonzo.  Now actually show up to a meaningful at-bat in your career.
He actually had that game winning hit against the Yankees in 2001 off of Mariano Rivera. It was an epic showing of what steroids can do. Had he not been juiced up that ball isn't up the middle, its a sawed off pop out to the pitcher.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:55:07 am »

He actually had that game winning hit against the Yankees in 2001 off of Mariano Rivera. It was an epic showing of what steroids can do. Had he not been juiced up that ball isn't up the middle, its a sawed off pop out to the pitcher.

Do you realize that was pretty much his only hit in the whole playoffs? (Yes, almost literally his only hit, he went like 2-30 or something)

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:10:59 am »

It just goes to show that no matter how good a person is, some malcontents will always want to dredge up the absolute worst about you.

Sad...very sad.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 12:30:01 pm »

It just goes to show that no matter how good a person is, some malcontents will always want to dredge up the absolute worst about you.

Sad...very sad.

Webster's Dictionary says .... malcontents = jtex316 & Denver_Bronco

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 12:37:49 pm »

That story made me teary-eyed.  I am a pussy.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 12:42:21 pm »

That story made me teary-eyed.  I am a pussy.

The whole walking down the aisle, friends thing got me as well! I'm almost twice your size so that makes me a bigger one than you.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 12:43:52 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray