Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:17:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  RICKY WILLIAMS ...MORE TROUBLE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: RICKY WILLIAMS ...MORE TROUBLE  (Read 46613 times)
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2006, 10:44:42 am »

for me personally, the high i get off of 1 fatty J is the equivalent of the buzz i get off of downing a six-pack of beer, so i don't see how you can compare the relative quantities of 2 substances that are in COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PHYSICAL STATES.  have you ever taken chemistry and learned the differences between solids, gases, and liquids? 

pound for pound, smoke for smoke, yes, weed has similar, perhaps nominally larger amounts of tar and carcinogens than cigarettes.  BUT YOU DONT SMOKE A PACK OF JOINTS A DAY.  the difference in "serving sizes" of the two are astronomical.   also, joints have less weed in them as compared to the amount of tobacky crammer in a cig, and it only takes a few hits of a joint to get high.  its kinda like the alky content in beer vs vodka...you can't compare the 2 by volume...a gallon of beer or a gallon of vodka?  one will make you very drunk, the other would kill 95% of people.

comparing weed to cigarettes by volume is another trick by the prohibitionists to skew statistics.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2006, 10:49:26 am »

I am much enjoying this conversation, but I'm not going to post about it here anymore, since this has gotten way off topic.  If anyone wants to continue this discussion, I'll be in the Off-Topic, where it belongs.  This thread is supposed to be about weed's place in the NFL....not its comparison to alcohol.

I drink your milkshake!
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2006, 10:58:41 am »

^^^ yeah i was thiknking the same thing, i was gonna ask an admin to move it or start a new topic about it.  i tried to stop and get it back on track before it got outta hand, but shortly thereafter it exploded
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:57 am »

I think we all thought the same thing, but once it went of topic I thought about how hard it would be to just start up a new thread. We probably would have just reposted almost everything we had in this one.
BeefStewert
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2006, 12:06:14 pm »

You're right about that.  The laws are meant to protect people.  Everyone has the freedom the U.S. offers, but those laws are in place to keep you from infringing on other people's freedoms.  That's the whole concept behind democracy. 

Actually, making marijuana illegal was not a move to protect infringements of other's rights.  It was a racist move since pot was considered a hispanic or mexican drug.  The US did a similar racist move towards Asians by making opium illegal. 

I actually believe that making pot (because it is the most popular drug) legal will significantly reduce crime.  Thus making the country and reducing infringement on others.  If you make it legal, the supply increases and the price drops significantly.  If the price drops, there is not incentive for dealers to risk their lives bringing the drugs into the country and dealing on the streets.  Not to mention that our prison population and expenses will decrease.  The government would have to impose similar laws to alcohol - don't drive or work high.  Another side effect of legalizing marijuana is that cigarette consumption would go down (since pot is a substitute).  I guess there is some controversy as to whether or not that will bring down lung cancer incidences.

By the way, I've never tried any illegal drug so I'm not biased because I'm a user.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »

Actually, making marijuana illegal was not a move to protect infringements of other's rights.  It was a racist move since pot was considered a hispanic or mexican drug.  The US did a similar racist move towards Asians by making opium illegal. 

I actually believe that making pot (because it is the most popular drug) legal will significantly reduce crime.  Thus making the country and reducing infringement on others.  If you make it legal, the supply increases and the price drops significantly.  If the price drops, there is not incentive for dealers to risk their lives bringing the drugs into the country and dealing on the streets.  Not to mention that our prison population and expenses will decrease.  The government would have to impose similar laws to alcohol - don't drive or work high.  Another side effect of legalizing marijuana is that cigarette consumption would go down (since pot is a substitute).  I guess there is some controversy as to whether or not that will bring down lung cancer incidences.

By the way, I've never tried any illegal drug so I'm not biased because I'm a user.

I wasn't talking about why certain drugs were made illegal.  I was talking about the concept of democracy.
BeefStewert
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2006, 01:09:01 pm »

What does this have to do with democracy?  We didn't vote on making marijuana illegal.  And where in the constitution does it say that the job of the government is to protect us from ourselves?
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2006, 01:12:31 pm »

What does this have to do with democracy?  We didn't vote on making marijuana illegal.  And where in the constitution does it say that the job of the government is to protect us from ourselves?

Read further back.  My explanation of democracy didn't have anything to do with making drugs legal or not.  Rather, it had to do with the boundaries of freedom.  Everyone has certain rights in democracy that are not usually granted in other types of governments like dictatorships.  However, the concept of democracy is your rights end only when they infringe on someone else's rights. 
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2006, 01:17:20 pm »

Man this is crazy.  I've just noticed this thread has the same amount of posts as the TDMMC T-shirts thread, but it's only been open for FIVE DAYS!!!!

People have gone wild here!!!!
That's because potheads are extremely defensive.... and got nothing else to do. 

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2006, 01:39:36 pm »

run_to_win....  what kind of ignorant, nonsensical, biased statement is tat?
BeefStewert
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2006, 01:44:19 pm »

Read further back.  My explanation of democracy didn't have anything to do with making drugs legal or not.  Rather, it had to do with the boundaries of freedom.  Everyone has certain rights in democracy that are not usually granted in other types of governments like dictatorships.  However, the concept of democracy is your rights end only when they infringe on someone else's rights. 

Did you get that off a record label?  Because that isn't the definition of democracy that I know.  Democracy gives people the power to vote to elect their leaders and lawmakers - the concept of majority rule.  It has nothing to do with the goverment protecting you - especially from yourself.  But if you are going to take democracy to mean that, you should read my earlier post.  I explained my belief that legalizing marijuana might actually reduce the amount of "infringement" you are claiming it imposes on others.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2006, 01:54:16 pm »

If you make it legal, the supply increases and the price drops significantly.  If the price drops, there is not incentive for dealers to risk their lives bringing the drugs into the country and dealing on the streets.

Beef, I see your point, but that vacuum (pot dealers having no pot to deal) would be filled by other illegal activities (harder drugs, guns, something else...).   So long as crime is more lucrative than flippin' burgers, there's always going to be something to smuggle, something illegal to sell.  That's why I don't know if it should be legalized.  Too many variables in the equation.

I'm willing to listen to arguments both ways, but as with every argument, those that oppose marijuana legalization want you to believe neurosurgeons are going to start showing up to work "fit shaced" and those that propose its legalization point to utopian societies where the poor are not forced into lives of crime; and crime has been largely eliminated.  Bunk on both ends.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
BeefStewert
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2006, 02:02:15 pm »

Beef, I see your point, but that vacuum (pot dealers having no pot to deal) would be filled by other illegal activities (harder drugs, guns, something else...).   So long as crime is more lucrative than flippin' burgers, there's always going to be something to smuggle, something illegal to sell.  That's why I don't know if it should be legalized.  Too many variables in the equation.

I'm willing to listen to arguments both ways, but as with every argument, those that oppose marijuana legalization want you to believe neurosurgeons are going to start showing up to work "fit shaced" and those that propose its legalization point to utopian societies where the poor are not forced into lives of crime; and crime has been largely eliminated.  Bunk on both ends.

I agree that is a possibility.  I'm assuming that the hard drug and gun market already has enough suppliers and it won't be easy for the old pot dealers to enter that market.   
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2006, 03:30:56 pm »

Did you get that off a record label?  Because that isn't the definition of democracy that I know.  Democracy gives people the power to vote to elect their leaders and lawmakers - the concept of majority rule.  It has nothing to do with the goverment protecting you - especially from yourself.  But if you are going to take democracy to mean that, you should read my earlier post.  I explained my belief that legalizing marijuana might actually reduce the amount of "infringement" you are claiming it imposes on others.

I was referring to rights in general, not about marijuana.  And yes, democracy calls for people to have power to vote and elect their leaders and lawmakers.  Totalitarian governments have elections too.... with only one candidate. 
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2006, 03:31:53 pm »

I think we all thought the same thing, but once it went of topic I thought about how hard it would be to just start up a new thread. We probably would have just reposted almost everything we had in this one.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Dave, Brian, PLEASE don't lock this thread.  I'd love to see it break the record.... become the most popular on TDMMC!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray