Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:04:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Do you want Barry Zito? Make an offer!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Do you want Barry Zito? Make an offer!  (Read 9559 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 03:23:08 pm »

Don't dismiss changing leagues - Hudson was in the AL for a LONG TIME before the switch to the NL.  I think he struggled because he didn't know the hitters as well, look for a nice bounce back this year.

Good point on the fastball - but is it really that bad?  Texas has great power and he shuts them down pretty well.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 04:36:20 pm »

If you just saw his fastball you would think it's average. When you see him throw his curve and then his fastball, it really magnifies how below average it is. The fact that he has carved out a very succesful career so far is a testament to how good his other stuff is.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 09:54:57 pm »

Tommy - I don't think that we do.  I would still like to work something out with Hughes.  And don't listen to Edge, New York plays Boston 19 times in 2006.  Last time I checked - you have 162 games to play the entire season. 

Bottom line with Zito - he's 28.  Career 3.50 ERA.  Career 86 wins and 53 losses.  Averages 220 innings pitched EVERY YEAR.  Extremely durable.  Knocks on 190 K's each year.

Remember - right now he's a rent-a-player in his final year.  For the right deal with do a sign and trade and he's yours for three seasons.

OK, I could throw in Hughes as the player to be named later.  In return, I'd want a player to be named later from you, preferably a utility infielder or a solid backup catcher/firstbaseman. 
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 09:38:58 am »

If you just saw his fastball you would think it's average.

It's not like I haven't seen his fastball - I'm not agreeing with you that it's flat.  Again, he might get hit hard by the Sox and Yankees - but who doesn't?  They aren't the only power hitting teams in the AL.  Anyone that has a lifetime 3.50 ERA must have something more effective than a curve ball.  I know this from personal experience. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray