Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:58:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  You're the GM- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: You're the GM- Tampa Bay Buccaneers  (Read 2410 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:14:11 am »

Down in sunny Florida, you've just been handed a job that looks pretty good compared to similar positions in your industry.  You've just been hired as GM of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

This is a team on the rise.  You won the Super Bowl in 2002, but then your pirate ship ran into some rough waters over the next two seasons.  This past season, you seemed to have turned it around, winning your division and hosting a playoff game in the first round.   

Your coach is every GM's dream.  He's got amazing stamina (he's notoriously known for getting to the office by 4 am and not leaving until after 8 pm), and a firey personality.  He is also a tough taskmaster and a shrewd strategist. 

Your defense is top notch, however some of your personnel there are starting to show signs of wear and tear with age. 

Your offense could use a little work, particularly at the QB position which is surrounded by question marks.  Your starting QB went down with an injury, and his backup stepped up and played relativly well.  The biggest concern is, can that backup develop into a quality full-time starter.  Only time will tell, but do you give him that chance?  You have a solid corps of sure-handed receivers, as well as a running back who will be a stud in this league for years to come. 

You hosted that first round playoff game, but ended up being on the losing end of an upset victory.  You want to take this team to even greater heights in the upcoming season.  What do you do???
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:52:38 am »

Get a new QB who's dad hasn't been in the league before,  Griese ain't gonna get you the next level,  and Simms is about as good as Fiedler and Frerotte no matter how many people think how good he is.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:17:54 pm »

You MUST trade Cadillac for some draft-day compensatory picks. 

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
BJL
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 03:29:26 pm »

Biggest thing is the offensive line. Buenning is a monster at LG. All he needs is a little time. Davis is not at his comfortable position at tackle, and should be moved to RG if he were to stay with the Bucs. He's a great run blocker, and would be a much better pass blocker is he didn't have to worry about guys speeding around him. He doesn't have the footspeed to be a tackle. Mahan has been knocked for his size, and could move to center. Terry would be a good backup at guard. Wade can fight with Mahan for the center spot. Walker has become less of a liability for flags, but he wants a big contract that he is not worth. So here's the thing, the Bucs need true tackles. That's why most mock drafts have the Bucs taking a tackle.

The Bucs got their man at QB by resigning Simms, even if it was a one year deal. Griese will be released, as he should be. Simms is better than you think. Given a decent line, he'll make some great plays. The problem has been the Bucs went into max protect because they couldn't pass protect.

Running back is fine. Alstott is coming back. Pittman is a great #2 back. Cook is more of a blocker. There is enough there at the moment.

The next biggest offensive problem is options for Simms to throw to. Galloway is old, and has an injury history. Even with his last year, I still worry about him. Clayton was plagued with injury, and had a horrible sophmore slump. The next best receiver is Sheppard, who dropped that TD pass in the Redskin game. Alex Smith could be a good option at tight end, if the Bucs didn't have to use him or Becht as an extra lineman. An extra receiver would be a huge help.

The defense seems alright along the defensive line. Rice and Spires take care of the outside, with White looking to get into the picture. Hovan was a great pickup, and hopefully will be resigned. If not, McFarland and Wyms will be their options. Signing Hovan seems to be a must then. McFarland has not become the next Warren Sapp that many thought he'd be. Defensive tackle may be an area of concern.

Linebacker and corner are positions looking for depth. Ernie Sims has been talked about, as he seems to be a younger Derrick Brooks type. Ruud will be the replacement for Quarles, but there is no apparent replacement for Brooks. Also, ROLB could be upgraded, as Nece isn't a quality player. With Barber, Kelley, and Bolden, a young corner would be a welcome addition. I was thinking of Ike Taylor. He's a good corner, supports the run, has decent speed. He would make a good fit.

If Dexter Jackson were to be resigned, the safety positions would seem to have enough players. Last year was just a bad year for our safties, as many were banged up. At one point I think the Bucs were going to practice squad players (at least they were guys I remember being on the practice squad.

So, what would I do? First off, get OT, LB, and/or WR in the draft. Ernie Sims seems like a great option. I'd like to get someone else on the other side as well. Speed, tackling ability, and coverage skills are a must for cover 2 linebackers. Offensive tackle is a desperate need. WR may be better for free agency. The receiver should have speed, because the Bucs need to replace Galloway at some point. Also, it would take advantage of the deep ball Simms throws. Chad Jackson seems like a good talent in the draft, but probably won't drop that far. He"s the only one I could see taking in the first round. Tackles are tricky, but I would like one with quick feet. The Bucs tried the slow physical tpye in Davis and Walker, and it didn't work out. They were getting ran around.

Trade for Brian Griese? Yay, another washed up veteran QB...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray