Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:11:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  what type of coach is Jeff fisher?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what type of coach is Jeff fisher?  (Read 1766 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: January 12, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »

If he really does sign with the dolphins, what type of coach can we expect?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:17:35 am »

^^My understanding is that he's a fundamentals type of guy. Run the ball. Play tough defense against the run, etc. However I don't think he's as conservative as say Sparano was. It's not just Fisher you're getting too. According to this he's assembling an impressive staff. Nolan and Daboll are probably out as Fisher brings in his own guys so it will depend on who those guys are.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:17 am »

he's wishy washy and can't make decisions.

I think he's also an old-school JJ/Wanny type coach that won't be successful in today's NFL. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:32:51 am »

Among other things dirty. 

He coaches his players not just to hit the oppenant but the injury him and take him out of the game/season. 

Expect to see a lot of yellow flags, don't be shocked if you trade for Suh. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:10 am »

I like Fisher's style, actually.

I like that he'll run the ball 3 times on 2nd and 1 at the goalline.

I drink your milkshake!
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:55 am »

I have been paying attention to Fisher for a while now.  This is what I get from what I have observed.

He is strict, but he does team building activities to break things up a bit.  For example, one year he broke out a giant slip in slide after a tough training camp and the players had a blast with it.

He does what good coaches do and works to the strengths of his team.  If he has players best suited for running the ball, playing good special teams, and stopping the run - he does it.  If he has a good passing attack (QB and receivers) and a good pass rush - he isn't afraid to go into shoot outs.

Notice that when he had Eddie George, he had a power run team.  When he had Chris Johnson, he had a short pass/outside run/screen pass team.  When he had McNair and (can't remember the receiver's name) he had a pass heavy team.

We all know the music city miracle play, but in truth he is known for using trick plays at just the right time.  And I have never known him to have bad special teams.

He is very good with things like timeout management, situational football.

Weaknesses - A bit stubborn like Sparano.  Not quite as intellectually innovative as a coach like Belicheat or Payton.  Has usually had to coach subpar talent, so it is difficult to know what he would be capable of with a good roster and a few true playmakers.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »

Notice that when he had Eddie George, he had a power run team.    When he had McNair and (can't remember the receiver's name) he had a pass heavy team.

He had them at the same time.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:50:18 pm »

True, but George's prime was a bit before McNair's prime.  A am really saying that they relied on George when he was there key player and they relied on McNair when he was their key player.

Of course their best showing was when both players were playing well, but it was really the end of George's career at that point.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »

What kind of coach is Jeff Fisher? A Rams' coach? -EK
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:22:53 pm »

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray