Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:34:58 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ronnie brown
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Ronnie brown  (Read 49054 times)
Tepop84
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:55:17 pm »

Not getting it done this year.  I know everybody was singing his praises after the NE game, but he just isn't good this year.  He has rushed from the wildcat formation 21 times for 156 yards.  In normal formations he has rushed 77 times for 250 yards, (3.25ypc).  That is just not very good.  It takes a gimmick formation for him to be able to get a decent ypc average, and that really only worked real well one week.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:57 pm »

I don't think that's a fair criticism.  He's not getting blocking from the traditional formation.  Also, the Wildcat is not a gimmick.  How many times must you run a play for it not to be a gimmick anymore.  We run it well over 20 times this year.  It's just a formation in the playbook at this point.  But it's a formation that plays to Ronnie's strength.

We aren't able to move the ball up the middle, so we're seeking the outside, and that results in a lot of no gains and negative plays.  It's the way our line is blocking.

I drink your milkshake!
Tepop84
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »

I don't think that's a fair criticism.  He's not getting blocking from the traditional formation.  Also, the Wildcat is not a gimmick.  How many times must you run a play for it not to be a gimmick anymore.  We run it well over 20 times this year.  It's just a formation in the playbook at this point.  But it's a formation that plays to Ronnie's strength.

We aren't able to move the ball up the middle, so we're seeking the outside, and that results in a lot of no gains and negative plays.  It's the way our line is blocking.

It was a gimmick the first time we used it against NE where he ran it 4 times for 84 yards.  Take that game away and his rushing from the wildcat has resulted in 17 carries for 72 yards (4.23ypc). Not exactly great numbers. 
bsfins
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:22 am »

Roll Eyes yeah and Ricky is really tearing it up,Ohh wait he's already got 4 fumbles this year... Wink Ricky's got 71 attempts 267 yards (3.8 avg) 2 Td's and 4 fumbles........

Ronnie is coming off of major knee injury...Stepped in game one of the season...
Is also playing behind a young O-line....Sometimes the blocking is there..other times it's what ever Ronnie makes on his own....

Teams are also stacking the box to stop the run..Chad's,and our Wr's haven't  been a threat with the deep ball...
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 01:02:19 am »

21 times for 156 yards.

That's more than 7 yards per carry.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:44:33 am »

He is the best offensive weapon on a rebuilding team, what exactely do you think he is supposed to accomplish when he is the number one target of the defense every week.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 11:01:01 am »

I wish I had nothing better to do than bitch about our best offensive weapon this season.
Tepop84
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:16 am »

Best offensive weapon?  You seriously think he is more valuable than Pennington this year.  You have to be fucking retarded.  I wish people would stop blowing him when he has been below average for all but 1 week when he gained 84 yards on 4 carries from a formation that the defense had never seen. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

You are confusing terminology which is easy to do. Pennington may indeed be more valuable because of his game management, but that does not equate to being a weapon. I hope you see the difference in that.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 11:39:53 am »

The guy is coming off of major knee surgery and is still playing at a pretty high level...Comparing him to Penny isn't really fair, it's comparing apples to oranges....right now he is our best RB and when the blocking comes together he will be our best asset...why the Ronnie Brown haters?

and before last game, his 7 TD was t-2nd in the league
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:50:08 am »

Best offensive weapon?  You seriously think he is more valuable than Pennington this year.  You have to be fucking retarded.  I wish people would stop blowing him when he has been below average for all but 1 week when he gained 84 yards on 4 carries from a formation that the defense had never seen. 

Ahhh Helloooooooooo.  Not Ronnies fault that he is not putting up Clinton Portis numbers. Miami still has a very young o-line.  He's no Barry Sanders

ethurst2

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 10:44:58 pm »

This is simple. Last few games, Ronnie Brown hasn't gotten enough carries. The offensive line's blocking from conventional sets hasn't been anything to write home about.

Brown is effective when he goes over 20 carries. Plus, Sparano has a problem that most coaches would love to have. You've got Ricky Williams that he has to share carries with plus the emergence of a third down back in Patrick Cobbs. How do you distribute those minutes or carries evenly?

Brown was drafted because Saban thought that the Dolphins needed a Michael Westbrook type of back. Brown reminds me of Westbrook with a lot more power.

One of the keys is that Samson Satele is getting overpowered at the point of attack. He's not the kind of center that Parcells likes so look for Miami to get a Center who can move people out of the way with power. They may just draft one. The best linemen that Miami have are Jake Long and Justin Smiley so that says a lot about the rest of those guys including Vernon Carey.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:31:19 am »

Who's retarded? No one in the league fears Pennington and his arm. Brown is offers us the most potential as an offensive weapon if utilized more. I guarantee defenses worry about him more, especially in the wildcat formation, than they do Chad.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:31:34 am »

Who's retarded? No one in the league fears Pennington and his arm.

Hate to say it, but if they didn't fear Pennington there would have been much more blitzing against our young o-line at this point.  They don't fear a strong arm, but they fear his quick and reliable decision making.  I am not calling you a retard, but perhaps you are having a "moment".

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:45:13 pm »

Brown was drafted because Saban thought that the Dolphins needed a Michael Westbrook type of back. Brown reminds me of Westbrook with a lot more power.

Think you might mean Brian Westbrook there... Michael Westbrook was a WR for the 'Skins a little while back.

I don't have any problem with Ronnie Brown at all. I watch a helluva lot of football, much to the detriment of most of my other social life, and I see Ronnie fighting through first tacklers as consistently and as aggressively as any RB in the game. Ronnie has all the skill and all the heart he needs to be a top-5 RB in the NFL, imo, but he needs more consistent play from his O-line, and he needs to have WR weapons on the outside that can scare teams out of stuffing the box on him almost every play.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray