Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:40:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99674 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2008, 01:32:12 pm »

The length of the contract is the issue I have because you just don't give middle relievers longer than 2 years, it always blows up in your face.

I'll give ya "usually" for that, but there are some cases where setup guys get a 3+ year contract and pitch just fine. Scott Linebrink when he came to SD from Houston is one...Scot Shields in Anaheim is probably the best example.  I wouldn't give a setup guy a long-term deal either, but occasionally you hit on one that can anchor in at that pen slot and remain consistent.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 02:02:07 pm »

Yeah, the usually part should go there. It's just a bad idea because the way the Yankees spend money on draft picks, we can land a first overall pick talent wise at our draft slot due to signability issues. Get a bunch of those and within 2 years you have a Top 3 farm system. With the ages of some of our players, drafting kids at non-pitching positions is vital.

Plus, I am scared of Marte in NY. I know it's a small sample size, but he sucked over here and we JUST got rid of Farnsworth. Don't want the left handed sequel.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

The New York Post speculates that the Yankees will offer CC Sabathia a six-year, $150 million contract.
And that just may be where the bidding starts. The newspaper quotes "one Yankee executive" as saying that "we have to separate ourselves" and notes that "unless Sabathia really will reject the largest pitching package ever, the Yankees have the inside track." If the Yankees fail to land Sabathia the newspaper reports that Derek Lowe and A.J. Burnett are "their next choices."
Source: New York Post

6 years at $25 Million per. Largest contract ever for a pitcher, annual salary wise. I think Hampton got more, but that terrible contract shouldn't count. The only way Sabathia will not be a Yankee, is if he truly hates NY and wants to pitch on the west coast, because the Yankees will offer at least $5 Million more per season than anyone else. They are loaded with cash and have another $40 Million off the books next season. It's up to CC.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:03 pm »

I don't view Marte as a set up guy.  A set up guy is a guy designed for 8th inning action.  Yes he did that in spots last year, but his true value could be more of a bridge roll.  And, in that roll, I think his true value lies.

I'll believe CC goes to NY when I see it.  I don't doubt that they'll build him his very own bank - I doubt CC will take that money.  I think he'll get a huge contract to pitch in a city where he's more comfortable.  Just pure opinion.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:17 pm »

Yeah, the usually part should go there. It's just a bad idea because the way the Yankees spend money on draft picks, we can land a first overall pick talent wise at our draft slot due to signability issues. Get a bunch of those and within 2 years you have a Top 3 farm system.

I know we've danced to this tune before, but when you read that statement, doesn't the inherent inequity of it bother you at all? Don't you want to cheer for a team that wins because it plans/manages/plays better than the competition, rather than because you were able to throw more money at it?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 03:07:29 pm »

I don't think you'll ever see any "major market" team completely home grown.  Look at Boston.  They have some great parts out of the farm system.  Starting 1b, 2b, CF, SP, C, several bullpen pieces.  They had a chance to make their outfield completely home grown and patrolled by Moss, Murphy and Ellsbury and then dumped a bunch of money at JD Drew's door. 

Boston has more patience with their system than the Yankees do and Boston will still end up spending too much money this offseason.  Thankfully you will see them doing that with role players and not chasing down the likes of guys like Burnett.

NYY's system is far out valued and they know it, which is why they are doing what the Yankees do -- chase everyone and anyone.  You would think they would have learned by now. 

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:49 pm »

The Yankees have tried recently with the farm system, but it's coming up short on the starting pitching front, so they are going after the big names. Hell, just last year they decided to hang onto their prospects and kissed Santana goodbye. This year, they can get a 2 time Cy Young winner(if he wasn't traded) for just a bazillion dollars, no prospects.

I don't like them buying every single player, but I am alright with pitching. That, and smart trades like the Swisher one.

Sabathia
Wang
Joba
Pettitte
Mussina

With Hughes and Kennedy at AAA all year and only available for spot starts. That is fine by me. 3 of those guys could give you 200 IP with Mussina close by and Chamberlain hopefully at 180. That's a much safer offseason plan than last season.

They went too gung ho last year with rookies, now they are just using some farm guys (mainly in the pen) and having some stud starters. I am fine with it as long as they don't get Burnett or Tex, who I think vanishes when the shit hits the fan like A-Rod.
bsfins
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:38 am »

Bump...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081123&content_id=3689772&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

According to this Article, the Cubs are still looking at Mark Tehan....Trading Sean Marshall,and Mike Fontenot  for him...I hate the Idea of this....I feel this is a horrible move for the Cubs....No I don't think Marshall or Fontennot are Great players by any stretch...But I don't think Teahan is the answer either....I feel this a lot like Jacque Jones all over again..." Well he had a down year last year,But we feel he'll get back to his form he had a couple of years ago with us..." mentality.....

This also makes think of the Juan Pierre trade.. Angry Angry
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 01:26:12 pm »

This also makes think of the Juan Pierre trade.. Angry Angry

thanks !
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2008, 09:02:13 am »

The guy is a walking and HR machine. You can't have too many of him in the lineup, as the A's have showed this season, but he is still very valuable. Considering the cost of Tex, Dunn would make a great 1B alternative.

Damon
Jeter
Matsui
A-Rod
Posada
Dunn
Nady
Cano
Some Scrub

Sounds good to me. Tex is better, but offensively he isn't THAT much better than people think. 32.6 to 27.7 in VORP favors Tex, but that isn't worth an extra $10 Million a year for 4 additional seasons.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2008, 09:22:33 am »

Oh God - I couldn't disagree with you more about these two.  Have you looked inside Dunn's numbers?  Have you looked at his defensive numbers with runners on, versus Mark's?  Have you looked at his K/hit ratio with runners in scoring position?

Have you noticed that Dunn is a CAREER .247 hitter?  That is awful.  Simply awful.  So you get 40 jacks out of him...at what cost?  His highest BA ever was .264 and his career OBP of .381 is OKAY but it's not earth shattering.  Not to mention his 166 strikeouts this season.  23 doubles.  That's it.  His power he should have been lacing balls that one hop walls all the time.

The guy hit 40 home runs...and still only had 100 RBI on the season.  Eight errors in the OUTFIELD? Career .974 fielding average?

It would be a dream come true for the Yankees to sign Adam Dunn.  I would love it. 

Meanwhile Teixeira is a career .290 hitter that gives you a consistent 30/110 each year.  He struck out last than 100 times this past year.  Career fielding percentage of .995 (and he's not in the outfield...not outfielder should have a fielding percentage of .974 and still have a job).

Teixeira in the Yankees lineup?  I might as well stop watching.  Gold glove defense, amazing pop in the bat, young guy AND a great club house guy.  Adam Dunn?  I'm dancing a jig.  40 HRs in a season and...that's about it.  162 games in a year, I'll take my chances facing Dunn!

This guy sucks.  He really does. 

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2008, 10:19:20 am »

I'm gonna hijack here...My apologies ...

I think it might have been on Cowherd,or Dan Patrick during the baseball season....Mentioned the Down side of Tex was that He doesn't seem to make the people around him better,While he's got good numbers...He doesn't make the others around him better...

Ie Manny The hitters in front of him,and Behind their numbers are better,they get better things to hit...

I'm probably totally off base here,and the numbers will show me I'm wrong...I thought it was intresting...
End hijack....

I read that Towers still thinks the Cubs are leading for Jake Peavy.... Shocked
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:43 am »

I'm not sure I completely agree with that stance on Tex, although I understand it.  But I think it's important to look at what he had around him.  In Texas the only firepower around him was Young.  In Atlanta...well...he didn't really have any.  Same kind of goes in Anaheim - he strapped that team to his back and kind of carried them.

I'm personally drinking the Tex special juice.  A line up that looks like this is a wet dream for me:

Ellsbury - CF
Dusty - 2B
Ortiz - DH
Tex - 1B
Youkilis - 3B
Bay - LF
Drew - RF
Salty - C
Lowrie - SS

...THAT would be a balanced offense with a ton of punch...I don't even know what to do with Mikey Lowell...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:44:17 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2008, 02:46:19 pm »

As a Yankee fan, I have grown to be discomforted by any deal longer than 3 years, so I would prefer they don't sign Tex. However, as of now he is an awesome player. Whether or not he is just this great because of his walk years and whether he can maintain this after getting a massive deal remains to be seen.

I also heard he keeps to himself and isn't the greatest teammate, though that doesn't mean he is a bad guy, just kinda a loner. I would be happier with CC/Dunn/Pettitte than I would Tex/Burnett/Hughes.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2008, 02:50:40 pm »

Are you saying a ten year deal for Tex scares you a little, Edge?  Now why would THAT be??
Wink

-Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray