Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:38:01 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Who should the dolphins pick in the next draft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Who should the dolphins pick in the next draft  (Read 28720 times)
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2008, 01:37:46 pm »

Any big, nasty D-tackles out there projected for late first round?  Ferguson is 33, and Paul Soliai isn't exactly kicking ass and taking names.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2008, 02:50:14 pm »

^^^

I really hope Taylor Mays is around come our pick...but we would more likely have to trade up to get him...he looks like a top 10 pick...William Moore, S, Missouri  might drop to us and if he does I say we snatch him up....at 6-2, 220 he is a beast.  This would be my pick...here's a highlight reel of him from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGLk4mKnho&NR=1
I'd hate to spend a first round pick on a NT, but Terrence Cody, Alabama is an unbelievable beast and Ferguson isn't getting any younger....6-5, 365...his down side is only 1 year's worth of experience against top opposition as he transferred to Alabama before this season.

Come round 3, Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State looks good....6-2, 195lbs...4.4 speed or Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut...he's only 5-10, 187, but so are a lot of good CBs in the league.

He's expected to go late 1st round
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:52:21 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2009, 08:24:31 pm »

BUMP

Now that our football season is over, we can look ahead to the next best thing...the 2009 NFL Draft.

As I said earlier, William Moore would be a steal for us...but now with the phins recent success, it doesn't look like he will slip that far...I looked at a few mock drafts and came up with these guys in our current position....

Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech....6 ft 194 lbs...very physical corner who isn't afraid to tackle

D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt...5 ft 10 in...184 lbs...under 4.4 speedI've mentioned him before...and if we wanted him, we might need him to slip a few spots or trade up a spot or two...also a physical corner who led his team in tackles...Harris and Moore both are talented kick returners

Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky...6 ft....175 lbs...it might be a stretch for him because he is projected late 1st early 2nd round....under 4.4 speed...durable (has yet to miss a game since starting after his redshirt year)...2nd on team with tackles, so isn't afraid to get physical...might need to bulk up a bit to be an NFL corner

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois...6 ft...204 lbs...my favorite choice out of the four CBs mentioned...has the size and speed (under 4.4)...may need him to slip a couple of spots or trade up for him...I think it would be worth it...he is also the younger brother of Vernon Davis, TE for SF 49ers...has unbelievable strength for a corner and may do better as a safety

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State  ...I'm not even going to mention stats for him...he'll be the top CB in the draft and we won't even get a chance to pick him....top ten CB

....and that's just choices for the first round...I'll post some more picks for the second and third rounds later...plus all of this could change after the combine.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »

If we use two of our picks in rds 1-2 on DBs, I honestly don't need to have the first pick go that route. There are always one or two extremely talented players that slide in round one for some reason or other and if Miami were to, say, grab a blue chip LB or DL that slides, and then target both 2nd rounders on DBs...grooviness grande.

We need DBs, we need WR help (no disrespect to Camarillo, Bess or Ginn), we need LB help and we could stand to add some more prime beef on both lines.

I love this time of year...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2009, 08:37:43 pm »

I just hope we get a stud safety in this draft somewhere...Hill is worst thing about our secondary
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:32 pm »

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1619

Nic Harris Scouting Report

Position:    SS
School & Year/Status:    Oklahoma - Senior
Height & Weight:    6'3 - 230 lbs.
Ranked #39 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
person
Nic Harris, SS, Oklahoma
Nic Harris is a big, hard-hitting safety who has given nightmares to Big 12 opponents. It started when he was a freshman and earned some starts at free safety. A year later Harris was playing corner and ended the season back at free safety, where he led the team in interceptions and started to show just how good he could be. By his junior campaign, Harris was earning all-conference accolades from just about everybody

At 6-3 and 230 pounds, Harris is a big safety. Yet, his foot speed does not suffer due to his size. Harris does a great job getting into the backfield and he is always a candidate to blitz out of the secondary. During the 2007 season he recorded 9.5 tackles-for-loss and 3.5 sacks. Harris is not known for his coverage abilities, but he is not bad at it. Besides leading the team in 2006 with four interceptions, he tallied two in 2007 and broke up seven passes.

Harris might not have the pure athleticism and talent of some of the great safeties that have played in the NFL, but he is a solid player and low risk selection. For now he is likely a mid-round selection, but Harris can move his stock up quite a bit with a good senior season and a decent showing at the combine.

12/17 Update: Harris had a solid senior campaign, but did not put up eye popping numbers. He tallied 64 tackles, including three for a loss, but did not get a sack or an interception all year long. The Sooners defense had other playmakers to rack up the sacks and interceptions and Harris did what the team needed him to do. Despite the lack of flashy numbers, Harris still earned AP third-team All-America accolades.

We should get this guy...he's big enough to play LB and might be a second or third round pick

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 02:28:10 am »

I am crossing my fingers for the 49ers to select Taylor Mays to address their problems at safety...

I think a top shelf safety is a godsend to a D...it allows you to do so many things, scheme and coverage-wise with the same players on the field, and disguising what you're doing on D is always a good thing.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Crabby440

Im Feeling Kind of Sunday...

WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2009, 01:35:42 pm »

i want Tebow and Percy Harvin

Andrew Luck Is Our Only Hope...
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2009, 03:51:38 pm »

i want Tebow and Percy Harvin

Tebow would be awesome for our team...but we don't need him and, most likely, will be picked up before we get a shot at him.

Percy Harvin = Ted Ginn 2.0
We don't need another one of those...plus he isn't all that durable.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2009, 04:02:28 pm »

If the Dolphins draft another QB, it will not be in the early rounds.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Rick
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2009, 04:04:25 pm »

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1619

Nic Harris Scouting Report

Position:    SS
School & Year/Status:    Oklahoma - Senior
Height & Weight:    6'3 - 230 lbs.
Ranked #39 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
person
Nic Harris, SS, Oklahoma
Nic Harris is a big, hard-hitting safety who has given nightmares to Big 12 opponents. It started when he was a freshman and earned some starts at free safety. A year later Harris was playing corner and ended the season back at free safety, where he led the team in interceptions and started to show just how good he could be. By his junior campaign, Harris was earning all-conference accolades from just about everybody

At 6-3 and 230 pounds, Harris is a big safety. Yet, his foot speed does not suffer due to his size. Harris does a great job getting into the backfield and he is always a candidate to blitz out of the secondary. During the 2007 season he recorded 9.5 tackles-for-loss and 3.5 sacks. Harris is not known for his coverage abilities, but he is not bad at it. Besides leading the team in 2006 with four interceptions, he tallied two in 2007 and broke up seven passes.

Harris might not have the pure athleticism and talent of some of the great safeties that have played in the NFL, but he is a solid player and low risk selection. For now he is likely a mid-round selection, but Harris can move his stock up quite a bit with a good senior season and a decent showing at the combine.

12/17 Update: Harris had a solid senior campaign, but did not put up eye popping numbers. He tallied 64 tackles, including three for a loss, but did not get a sack or an interception all year long. The Sooners defense had other playmakers to rack up the sacks and interceptions and Harris did what the team needed him to do. Despite the lack of flashy numbers, Harris still earned AP third-team All-America accolades.

We should get this guy...he's big enough to play LB and might be a second or third round pick

I would LOVE if Miami drafted S Nic Harris.... I have watched Harris play at OU for the last 4 years and he is a big-time ball hawk S.... Nic is also a very hard hitter (which I love about him)....if the Phins can grab Harris at the right # pick, I think he could help improve the secondary.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:06:09 pm by Rick » Logged

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2009, 05:46:42 am »

(reposted in the right thread)

This thread intersects with the "Pennington or Henne" thread quite a bit, from my perspective.

Pennington is a great player. Average physical skills, but in every regular season game he knew his limits and stayed within them. That made him our uncontested Most Valuable Player this year.

The PROBLEM with Pennington is that our play selection is fairly limited. Opposing defenses can shift their linebackers towards the middle because Pennington simply cannot zip a ball to an out route. The safeties can move up towards the line of scrimmage because Pennington's long passes have insane hang times.

The result is that our running game is stifled.

Henne could change that, although I doubt he would do as well as Pennington (overall) next season, so the question is, do you draft for life WITH Pennington or do you draft for life AFTER him.

If you want to be as good as possible WITH Pennington, we need a better pass-catching tight end (Fasano is good, but not great), a physical slot receiver (Bess is OK, but we need someone more physical) and some serious heft at O-line and FB to dominate on short runs, even when the opposing team has 8 in the box.

For life AFTER Pennington, I think we need to focus on pass-protection from our O-line. I'm actually fairly happy with our receiver situation in that case - sure, draft someone, but don't spend a first-day pick on it. With more options in the passing game (more routes, not better receivers), Fasano should suffice at tight end, but we need a tall receiver to provide a BIG, easy target for our young quarterback. Someone should be available in the latter rounds for that.

On defense, I can only agree with pretty much everyone. Safety is a huge position of need and a playmaker there could open up a lot of possibilities for our defense. A great cornerback on day 1 would be nice, but the d-line needs some improvement as well. In a 3-4, some of the traditional d-line duties fall on the linebackers, so an upgrade there might work as well. Opposing teams have had great success running at our left side (Langford and Crowder - "end arounds" to our left have NOT been killing us - an indication Roth has been solid). Jason Ferguson is 34, so Solai needs to be seriously evaluated.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 12:06:54 am »

So after the UF/OU game I am set that we need to draft Nic Harris...guy played his heart out tonight and played pretty damn good...not too many safeties out their that can stand up Tebow.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »

I want another lankly, skinny, fast WR with bad hands.  And his family.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »

Percy Harvin

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »