Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:30:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Quentin Tarantino and Inglorious Basterds rant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino and Inglorious Basterds rant  (Read 11344 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 26, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »

So last night I'm watching Inglorius Basterds, not on purpose mind you I just happen to be flipping through the channels and came across it during the first scene and started watching.  I didn't realize it was IB until the second scene.  Anyway I watch the whole thing and I get to the end and I'm like WTF was THAT and then I realize my mistake when the credits roll.  I just don't get Quentin Tarantino movies.  It's not that they are bad movies, I just don't understand them.  What is the point?  Is there a point? Are his movies just an excuse to show as much violence as possible?  If I were to list my top 5 most overated movies, IB, Pulp Fiction and Reservior Dogs would be on the list.  Not that they are "bad" movies, but they just don't deserve all the accolades they get, not when there are so many really good movies out there.

So how about the rest of you.  Do you "get" Quentin Tarantino movies?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:12 pm »

I have not seen the movie, nor do I plan to. 

Not a big fan of movies set during World War II that portray the Nazi's as the victims of war crimes and portray Jews as brutal war criminals with no regard for the rules of war. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:29 pm »

I rank Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs as two of my favorite all time movies.

Hoodie, they really don't portray Nazis as victims in the film. I guess if someone was really trying to define things as we do in our society they would of course call the Nazis as victims, but the movie isn't designed to create any empathy towards them. At least I didn't feel any.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:38:05 pm »

Like Phishmeister, I consider Pulp Fiction to be one of the great movies of my generation, and Reservoir Dogs isn't too far down that list as well.  I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds yet, though the fact that you put it in the same sentence as Pulp Fiction (even in a negative way) makes me want to watch it even more.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »

^^ Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of folks that love QT films, so obviously there must be something there that appeals to people, but personally I just don't "get" them.  Even watching IB last night there were parts of the move that I really enjoyed (the bar scene), but when I got to the end of the movie, I just have no reaction to it.  It just doesn't do anything for me.  Most movies invoke some kind of reaction from me and the stronger the reaction I get the better the movie is for me, but after IB I was like that's it?  That's the end?  What was I suppose to feel?  It doesn't engage me in any way.  And that's the same response I had to pulp fiction and for the most part Reservoir dogs.

Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »

I consider Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs two of the best movies I've ever seen. (Modern, of course.)
However, Kill Bill just does it for my necessary kick-ass woman side. Uma Thurman as The Bride was perfection.

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:41 pm »

First of all you have to look at the director.
Quentin is inspired by old 60's and 70's campy B movies. Many of his trade mark styles are actually homages to old B movies and cult movies few of the mainstream viewers have ever seen.
IB was actually his take on a campy Italian film of the same name. There are multiple aspects from Kill Bill that came from the spaghetti western Death Ridea on a Horse.
As someone who loves the spaghetti western genre and the old campy martial arts movies, I appreciate what he does in his movies. Also if you think his movies are just seeing how much violence you can stuff into 120 mins, watch some of the old spaghetti westerns or martial arts movies.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 03:22:51 am »

I hear ya Pappy, you and I are on a lonely-ass boat on this one. I don't get the fascination with his movies either.
bsfins
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 07:28:50 am »

I think we need a bigger boat..... Cheesy
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:39 am »

As I have not seen the film, I can not comment on whether the film the Nazis are designed to be sympathetic characters or fully warranting the violence imposed on them nor if the Jews are designed to be seen as justified vigilantes or ruthless bastards. 

However, the plot summary makes it clear that the the events of the movie portrays the Jews engaging in conduct clearly in violation of every international agreement regarding the conduct of war, including the killing of those who have surrendered and are unarmed and torcher.  The victims of this violation of international law are the nazis.

The title suggest the even if the Nazis are not designed to be seen as sympathetic, the fictional Jews are designed to be seen ruthless killers who engage in behavior no more acceptable by international standards than the what the real Nazis did during WWII. 

This is not a movie I plan to watch. 

Hoodie, they really don't portray Nazis as victims in the film. I guess if someone was really trying to define things as we do in our society they would of course call the Nazis as victims, but the movie isn't designed to create any empathy towards them. At least I didn't feel any.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 09:18:49 am »

However, the plot summary makes it clear that the the events of the movie portrays the Jews engaging in conduct clearly in violation of every international agreement regarding the conduct of war, including the killing of those who have surrendered and are unarmed and torcher.

Yeah, because there's no way that a Jewish person could be a ruthless killer...or do anything illegal or immoral.

(the roll-eyes smiley is a given)

Roll Eyes   Roll Eyes    Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:25:34 am »

It is a movie Hoodie. I realize you are Jewish (I think I remember that) and this subject matter can be difficult but in movies we have "heroes" that break rules quite often. I enjoy movies for what they are, entertainment. I don't look too deeply into movies like this and don't care about international law. I respect your opinion, I just think you are looking too deeply into it. For two hours I was able to see the good guys do what I wanted them to do. If that meant bashing a Nazi with a baseball bat in order to get information, more power to them. Batman was a vigilante, but since his story was originally geared toward a younger audience the violence is toned down. Do you skip Batman movies because he breaks the law?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 09:59:45 am »

First of all you have to look at the director.
Quentin is inspired by old 60's and 70's campy B movies. Many of his trade mark styles are actually homages to old B movies and cult movies few of the mainstream viewers have ever seen.
IB was actually his take on a campy Italian film of the same name. There are multiple aspects from Kill Bill that came from the spaghetti western Death Ridea on a Horse.
As someone who loves the spaghetti western genre and the old campy martial arts movies, I appreciate what he does in his movies. Also if you think his movies are just seeing how much violence you can stuff into 120 mins, watch some of the old spaghetti westerns or martial arts movies.
Ok, I "get" that.  He's poking fun at things, I "get" that.  I really enjoyed all the Wayan's brothers Scary Movies, moreso than the movies they are making fun of, but are they the best movies of their time?  Hardly.  How can you compare a movie like IG with Schindler's list or Saving Private Ryan for example?  You can't.  There's NO comparision IMHO.  I don't get that.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 10:26:06 am »

How can you compare a movie like IG with Schindler's list or Saving Private Ryan for example?  You can't.  There's NO comparision IMHO.  I don't get that.

I wouldn't make that comparison. I would however put Pulp Fiction into that class of movie.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:29:22 am »

How can you compare a movie like IG with Schindler's list or Saving Private Ryan for example?  You can't.  There's NO comparision IMHO.  I don't get that.

On my list of "meaningful movies" that affected the way I view the film industry, both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are way up there...right along with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Ok, I "get" that.  He's poking fun at things, I "get" that.  I really enjoyed all the Wayan's brothers Scary Movies, moreso than the movies they are making fun of, but are they the best movies of their time?  Hardly.

Warning: Saying something complimentary about the Wayans brothers movies after saying you don't like Tarantino Films is a sure way to make me go "what is this dude thinking?" Comparing a Wayans brothers movie to anything done by Tarantino is like comparing a Jehovah's Witness leaflet that someone hands you at the bus stop with an original print run copy of "Lord of the Flies."

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray