Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:26:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  "Fringe" sports that you enjoy!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: What "fringe" sports do you enjoy?
National Hockey League
Arena Football
Professional soccer
MMA
Boxing
X Game type sporting events
Nascar
Golf
Winter Olympics
Summer Olympics
Other

Author Topic: "Fringe" sports that you enjoy!  (Read 12296 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »

A lot of people on this board are well known for their other "loves" (sporting wise).  I'm a baseball nut, as is Stroke.  JTex loves bowling (and does pretty well at it himself).  A bunch of you are hockey fans.  So on, so forth.

What sport, outside of of football, baseball or basketball, do you enjoy?  Why? 

You may cast 10 votes, although I strongly suggest you don't unless you truly love all of the choices.  If I've missed something that you enjoy, select "other" and explain why.  Please note that professional wrestling is not an option on this, but feel free to include it if you wish!

This is a chance for you to speak about sports that others may not have considered.  Enlighten us, maybe we're all missing something!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:18:14 pm by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:12:10 pm »

I included an other in my voting as you only said MLS. I really don't watch MLS but really enjoy watching national soccer team games. The national teams are the elite of the sport. Watching the MLS (or any of the other leagues) is pretty watered down in my opinion.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »

I selected the following.

NHL
MMA
Arena Football
Summer & Winter Olympics

I enjoy Hockey, Arena Football and the UFC. I do not watch them religiously like I do with the NFL, NBA, and MLB but I follow it to an extent.

The Olympics I am glued to 24-7 when they are on.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:19:20 pm »

I included an other in my voting as you only said MLS. I really don't watch MLS but really enjoy watching national soccer team games. The national teams are the elite of the sport. Watching the MLS (or any of the other leagues) is pretty watered down in my opinion.

Good point.  Changed it to "professional soccer."

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

I'll watch pretty much anything on two or four wheels but particularly f1 love le mans and sports cars, British and world touring cars, gp2, MOTO gp, MOTO 2,125s. Sad I know.

Premier league football and champions league too!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:22:51 pm »

water polo

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »

If you can play a fantasy game for a sport, I'll watch that sport. I checked off NHL, NASCAR, both Olympics, X-Games and "Other." I'd rather watch fringe sports on TV than just about anything else that ever shows up on TV.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:43:36 pm »

I hate to derail this thread, but I don't consider NHL a "fringe" sport on par with X-games, etc.  Its as "legit" as MLB and NBA.  Not sure why it gets this bad rap all the time.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »

I hate to derail this thread, but I don't consider NHL a "fringe" sport on par with X-games, etc.  Its as "legit" as MLB and NBA.  Not sure why it gets this bad rap all the time.

I am not sure how the multi-billion dollar industry that is golf got the fringe label either? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »

hockey is not a FRINGE sport, it's part of the "major 4"
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:03 pm »

NHL, Golf and NASCAR do not belong in this, imo.  I only watch NHL out of the three.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »

I wouldn't call MMA a fringe sport when they get between 750,000-1 mill + to spend upwards of $40-50 a month on their shows.

Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:35:41 pm »

I chose MMA and Professional Soccer. 

For the longest time I refused to watch MMA because I thought it was excessively violent; but my son is a big fan and got me watching.  I realize now that it's usually much less violent than sports like boxing. 

I really enjoy international soccer, especially when the national teams play.  I'll also watch the English Premiership. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:46:51 pm by Jim Gray » Logged
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »

i put down mma and professional soccer .. i'll watch the portuguese liga, the english premiership and the spanish la liga .. i don't really like the style of the italian serie a or the french league

as far as nhl goes .. it's a legit "other" in the realm of the big 3 of football, baseball and basketball .. once upon a time NHL was in that tier.. but no longer .. not when your playoffs are shown on the VS. network and maybe .. just maybe you'll have a single game of the stanley cup finals on NBC .. maybe
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »

For the longest time I refused to watch MMA because I thought it was excessively violent; but my son is a big fan and got me watching.  I realize now that it's usually much less violent than sports like boxing. 

MMA is great. Once your hooked, your hooked!!  If you ever get the chance too, go back and get the DVD's of the Couture-Lidell series from the middle of last decade. Must watch stuff!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray