Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:21:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  #1 area of need to address
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: #1 area of need to address  (Read 13903 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:33 pm »

It takes longer with some guys, from all reports the light bulb went off with him in mid to late November. We stayed with him this long might as well stick it out. He is still very young
Oh I'm not saying we should give up on him just yet because he is young, but I don't believe he's ever gonna pan out. He *might* be better than Colombo, but that's not saying much.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 11:11:33 pm »

Oh I'm not saying we should give up on him just yet because he is young, but I don't believe he's ever gonna pan out. He *might* be better than Colombo, but that's not saying much.

He filled in for Long at a tougher position and the Fins didn't miss a beat for 2 games. Not saying he is a pro bowl player but can he start at RT in this league and not be a weak link and be a solid contributor, probably.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:02 pm »

He filled in for Long at a tougher position and the Fins didn't miss a beat for 2 games. Not saying he is a pro bowl player but can he start at RT in this league and not be a weak link and be a solid contributor, probably.
The Jets don't have a stong pass rusher on that side and the Patriots were without Andre Carter. Ninkovich still had a sack although I'm not sure if that came against Jerry or not.  He was fortunate to go up against some weaker competition.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 11:35:00 pm »

The Jets don't have a stong pass rusher on that side and the Patriots were without Andre Carter. Ninkovich still had a sack although I'm not sure if that came against Jerry or not.  He was fortunate to go up against some weaker competition.

Shocked you were going to say that. Can't even give the guy credit for playing well in 2 games. Knew that was coming. Even the smallest pat on the back you can't even give it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 03:51:55 pm »

I have to agree with MikeO, Jerry did a good job filling in for Long.  Back to the topic, after QB obviously, the #1 area of need is ....CB.  Need a shut down corner to kill those end of the game drives, a couple interceptions would be nice also.  HM to TE, I like Fasano, but need more offensive production from the position.
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »

1)  QB - duh?

2)  #2 CB opposite Vontae Davis.  Ever see "Beer League"?  I feel like Sean Smith might be a lefty. 

3)  Right Side of the Offensive Line.  Vernon Carey sure sounds like he's as good as gone, and Colombo sucks (as we all know)

4)  Pass Rusher to compliment Wake.  Koa Misi is a good player, just not getting enough from him. 

5)  Consistency/Future from the TE position.  I have the biggest love/hate relationship with Fasano.  Not sure of his contract situation, but I think it's up?  Clay has shown signs of massive potential finishing out the season.  If there's a "stud" T.E. in free agency or we could use a draft pick on, do it.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »

QB QB QB QB QB  Huh Huh Huh

Daniel Thomas  Roll Eyes might be a bust Reggie wont be able to do it on his own for long

Sean Smith Roll Eyes I think he should be moved to Safety

Offensive line Roll Eyes  Columbo suxed

Brandon Marshall  Roll Eyes needs some stickum to his hands

Coaching  - Gm - Owner - front Office Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Nuff said

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »

I can't believe I am going to say this but I think Matt Moore is sufficient at QB and we can develop someone behind him.  So my number one need is Free Safety, second is QB (really depends on who we can actually get), third is a pass rusher opposite Wake, fourth is ILB depth, if we can sneak a legit tight end I might put that higher on the list but Clay can do for another year.

I think Murtha, Jerry, or Carey can play RT.  Jerry or Garner can play RG if Carey goes back outside.  So RT isn't necessarily a need, but Columbo has got to go.  The rest of the O-line is ok as long as the backups are ready to play THE DAY THEY ARE NEEDED (not two games later).

D-line is good, running back is good, the corners developed into a good unit once Will Allen got used to the nickel corner and Carrol decided he didn't want to get embarrassed again.  I think we could use someone a bit better than Hartline across from Marshal, but we can live with him and Bess and try to get Gates in the mix with a proper offseason.

OUR FREE SAFETIES SUCK!  Both of them are plenty athletic, but they are absolute morons!  We really need to look for a replacement for Bell soon, but I can handle Jones backing him up for now.  We need a free safety this year and strong safety next year.  Next year, strong safety will probably be number one or two on the priority list.
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »

Sean Smith Roll Eyes I think he should be moved to Safety

This is what I was referring to.  In the movie "Beer League"  there was a dude striking out all the time in slow pitch softball.  Artie Lang's character proclaims "dude, you might be a lefty." 

I think Sean Smith is a Safety playing CB.  He should be moved to FS.  Just my opinion though.  Glad to see I'm not alone in that thought.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 09:00:27 pm »

QB. It's been QB for a while now. I hope the search ends soon.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »

If I recall, Sean Smith was a FS at Utah, where he was and absolute stud.  I've always thought he should be playing FS and not CB.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »

I don't remember him in college but remember then calling him a corner from the day he was drafted. Looking at his bio, I don't believe he ever played safety.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »

If I recall, Sean Smith was a FS at Utah, where he was and absolute stud.  I've always thought he should be playing FS and not CB.

I don't remember him in college but remember then calling him a corner from the day he was drafted. Looking at his bio, I don't believe he ever played safety.

He was a corner at Utah, though  from what I can find, he started at safety in one game in his final season (vs Air Force). He actually started out as an offensive player, and his first 11 starts his freshman year were at WR.

What made people (including me) think he would be a good safety is that he had the size, he played great in the box in run support at Utah and he had "what I felt" were overrated and questionable cover skills,

Overrated because he played in the MWC against relatively weak competition, plus his style of physical play against those lesser receivers really helped cover up how stiff he played.

Questionable because he couldn't turn his hips like an NFL corner needs to turn their hips. Good cover corners have hips like dancers...it's what allows them to change direction to maintain coverage on a receiver without losing speed. Great cover corners like Sanders, Bailey, Revis...those dudes are ballerinas in cleats. When Sean did the backpedal and recover drill at the combine, I didn't think "dancer" when I saw him turn his hips, I thought "construction worker."

Next thought in my head was "safety?"

I'd rather see Miami spend a high draft pick on a top shelf corner and try to convert Smith to safety than see Miami draft a safety and leave Sean at corner, where he definitely seems like he gets outmatched by average WRs on a regular basis.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 07:41:09 pm »

Sean Smith can make a nice NFL living as a #3 CB. Hell, #3 CB's are almost starters now in this pass happy league. I would rather see Miami draft or sign a legit CB to play opposite Vontae and make Smith a #3 CB. That's not the worst situation to be in.

I don't want Smith at Safety because I don't want him on the field that much. He isn't an every down player in this league. Just not that good. Solid back-up. Not a starter at CB or Safety.
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:50 pm »

Sean Smith can make a nice NFL living as a #3 CB. Hell, #3 CB's are almost starters now in this pass happy league. I would rather see Miami draft or sign a legit CB to play opposite Vontae and make Smith a #3 CB. That's not the worst situation to be in.

I don't want Smith at Safety because I don't want him on the field that much. He isn't an every down player in this league. Just not that good. Solid back-up. Not a starter at CB or Safety.

.......so "in today's pass happy league where #3 CB's are almost starters"  you want Sean Smith to be a #3 CB because you "don't want him on the field that much."

Makes sense

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray