Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:05 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Trayvon Martin case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46 Print
Poll
Question: Do you think Zimmerman is
Guilty   -5 (25%)
Not Guilty   -2 (10%)
Self Defense   -1 (5%)
You don't know enough to decide   -12 (60%)
Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Trayvon Martin case  (Read 148877 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:34 am »

I made it sound a bit simplistic but it is indeed a law. The prosecutor can waive the 10-20-life sentencing structure if desired. Life also is not automatic, 25 to life (and we also have the death penalty) is and you don't have to kill someone. Just shooting them is enough.

The crime needs to be a felony (and I expect the drawing of a gun on someone falls under a felony)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »

I can't imagine anyone who knew about the protests but didn't know what they were protesting.  In 1993, how many people do you suppose knew that there was some riot thing going on in LA, but had no idea what triggered it?
You mean other than myself?  First I think I really knew was probably after the "can't we all get along" speech. Other than that we pretty much figured it was idiots looking for a reason rather than actually having a reason ... Which in retrospect they didn't. I hadn't heard of Rodney King prior to the riots and I don't think most over here did either.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #482 on: May 21, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »

To that, I guess I would say that if one is disconnected enough from the news cycle not to have heard of the Rodney King case beforehand, I would be surprised that one would hear about the riots.  Similarly, if you don't follow the news and have no inkling about the Martin case, why would you know about the protests either?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:43 pm »

I made it sound a bit simplistic but it is indeed a law. The prosecutor can waive the 10-20-life sentencing structure if desired. Life also is not automatic, 25 to life (and we also have the death penalty) is and you don't have to kill someone. Just shooting them is enough.

Firing a gun during the commission of a crime (in this case the unnecessary firing of a gun) gets an automatic 20 years in this state. It is called 10-20-life. Pull out a gun get an automatic 10, fire it get 20, kill and get life (if convicted of a crime).

Corey had no say so in sentencing and neither did the judge.
Please do explain.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »

The original comment was a mistake on my part. She did indeed have a say, but the general practice is that if the accused turns down a plea offer they get the book thrown at them. That is what happened here.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #485 on: May 22, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »

Up to four witnesses who have changed their stories,. to include the guy who was walking his dog and said he saw Martin on top of Zimmerman. This shows why eyewitnesses are not reliable as most people believe.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #486 on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:07 pm »

Up to four witnesses who have changed their stories,. to include the guy who was walking his dog and said he saw Martin on top of Zimmerman. This shows why eyewitnesses are not reliable as most people believe.

And the fact that so many seem to have changed their stories, may be 1 or 2, but 4, and that usually memories fade over time and can be changed by perception and coercion . The witnesses all look like they were tampered with by the prosecution in my opinion.
bsfins
« Reply #487 on: May 23, 2012, 11:13:58 am »

He's already been charged,since this thread keeps lingering let's change the poll...

Previous Poll results
The special prosecutor looking into the shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman in Florida has three options. What do you believe should be the next step?
Present the case to a grand jury       10 (43.5%)
Charge Zimmerman without grand jury review       6 (26.1%)
No grand jury; no charges       2 (8.7%)
No Opinion       5 (21.7%)

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #488 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:57 am »

Good plan B. I am leaning towards the jury finding him not guilty, but I voted that I still don't know yet as I am waiting to hear if the prosecution has any more compelling evidence.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #489 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »

I said that I didn't have enough info.  However, I feel like he'll probably be found not guilty (and I'm OK with that.)  I do not feel that what he did is morally acceptable, but the law is what it is, and Zimmerman needs protection under it, during the time of the incident.  If found not guilty, the law needs to be examined so that later incidences ARE found guilty, as I do not believe that law should protect a physical aggressor in an altercation that he prompted.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #490 on: May 23, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

He's probably going to get not guilty.  There's too much shit about this case that doesn't make any sense which is why I've stayed away from commenting about it until now.

1.  You don't just shoot somebody and the cops pick you up for it, and you walk out a couple hours later and go home.  Even in a self-defense state like FL.  Regardless of who you shot, in front of that many people, the cops are gonna want to talk to you about it and you're gonna spend a couple nights in jail until your story checks out.  Something obvious has to be screaming self defense or they would have locked him up.

2.  Eyewitnesses keep changing their story.  One says one was on top then switches, then somebody says the other one was on top and then switches. 

3.  Now we find out Martin had drugs in his system.  And the only reason I bring it up is that this kid may have gone off on a guy because he was high and paranoid, when he otherwise would have walked away.

4.  If it's a true murder case or even reasonably looks like one, they wouldn't have had to skip the grand jury.  The fact that the prosecutor said I can't come up with enough shit to even bring a shooting in front of at least 4 people before a grand jury should have screamed that something was off here.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #491 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »

I do not believe that law should protect a physical aggressor in an altercation that he prompted.

So far there is no evidence of that though. There is assumption by some Martin was a physical agressor but we do not know it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2012, 01:10:41 pm »

3.  Now we find out Martin had drugs in his system.  And the only reason I bring it up is that this kid may have gone off on a guy because he was high and paranoid, when he otherwise would have walked away.

You have a misunderstanding here. I'm not sure if you are underinformed on the facts of this case or of the effects of marijuana. Yes Martin was found to have traces in his system but the reports are that it was a small amount equivalent to having used several days prior. While still in the sytem THC does not cause highness of paranoia several days after use.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »

You have a misunderstanding here. I'm not sure if you are underinformed on the facts of this case or of the effects of marijuana. Yes Martin was found to have traces in his system but the reports are that it was a small amount equivalent to having used several days prior. While still in the sytem THC does not cause highness of paranoia several days after use.

While I would generally agree with this statement, I wouldn't say that in all cases. It would depend what "trace amounts" equals and if they used any kind of cut off limit on the tests. Every time I have ever smoked pot, a couple hits got me as high as I wanted to be. That amount would probably not even hit the cut off on a regular test and be considered trace amounts while I was still somewhat high. In the past, certain friends of mine that I would see on occasions could smoke whole fat ass joints or clear multiple bowls while I would take a couple small hits and I would seem as high as they were. All of this is greatly dependent on the individual tolerance and metabolism. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #494 on: May 23, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »

^^^ I think there is another bit of misunderstanding here. From what I know, we simplify things by saying the among of THC found in the body but that isn't really what is tested. What they look for are the metabolites that use of THC creates in the body. Therefore it really does not matter how much you ingested becasue they are actually testing for the metabolites rather than the actual ingested substance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:11:43 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray