Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:47:16 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  My money is on Tannehill starting week 1...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: My money is on Tannehill starting week 1...  (Read 19197 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »

Possibly. They ARE only guessing aren't they? Or do they have some kind of crystal ball that predicts the future? Those guys have not seen him play a single snap on an NFL team. If they were saying that after having watched him all training camp and pre-season, then maybe you have a good case, but MikeO is right about that. You don't know what's going to happen in training camp. Maybe Tannehill proves all those guys wrong. They are right yet, they are only guessing.
Mike Mayock last year said Cam Newton should sit a year and not play in 2011. How did that turn out..lol

Here is the combine notes from Newton last year
Not proficient at going through his progressions or making NFL reads. Doesn't anticipate receivers getting open, must see them in a window. Inconsistent accuracy due to poor footwork and falling away to avoid a big hit. Despite athleticism, needs to improve his drop mechanics and the finer points of pocket mobility. Numerous off the field issues worth investigating.

Another NFC Scout on Newton
• What about Cam?
"He's so gifted athletically and there are not many guys like him,'' the NFC scout said. "But he's going to need some time, too. You're doing a disservice to him to throw him right into the fire. He's used to playing in the spread, doing the zone-read stuff, and he's pretty much waiting for a guy to come open before he throws it. He has to see him come open before he lets it go. He doesn't see the whole field yet.

Bottom line, we hold training camp for a reason. Let's just see how everything plays out. There is no rush to start/play Tannehill but there is also no reason to bench him if he is the best QB on the team. Why people are trying to decide this on May 12th is beside me.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »

To add on, Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports that Troy Aikman had dinner with Tannehill TWICE recently and Aikman came away with high praise for Tannehill. He went on WQAM and said..

He’s a “great pick” for Miami and there’s no reason why he shouldn’t start as a rookie if he wins the job. He is “no-nonsense, a leader, a guy who will put in the time.Very athletic guy. The familiarity with Mike Sherman's [offense] is going to help him a lot.”
AquaandOrange

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

Even if Tannehill is the best QB going into week one, unless they have a realistic idea that the team is going to have a shot at making the playoffs this year (and FWIW, no one in their right mind believes this to be the case), there's no upside to starting Tannehill. If you don't believe you have a contender right now, THIS YEAR, what do you gain by allowing a guy with such limited experience to get thrown to the wolves? Let him learn a year. Take a look at what Jax and Tenn did last year. Gabbert seemed to get as much praise as Tannehill coming out of college, but he wasn't ready to start. I think everybody knew that, but for whatever reason they put him in on a horrible team in the midst of a losing season and he looked just terrible. Tennessee was in a similar situation with Locker but they didn't let him start even when there were people who believed he was a much better option than Hasselbeck. That was the smarter move. There's nothing wrong with letting a guy sit for a year. Miami's not winning more than 7-8 games this year irrespective of who's under center. What's the rush? Since Garrard and Moorw are both free agents at the end of the year, let them fight it out for who we keep. -EK

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I've watched 30 years of football and I've never, ever, heard of the best guy not getting the job.

Follow me on Twitter @aqua_and_orange
el diablo
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 07:04:59 am »

Bottom line, we hold training camp for a reason. Let's just see how everything plays out. There is no rush to start/play Tannehill but there is also no reason to bench him if he is the best QB on the team. Why people are trying to decide this on May 12th is beside me.

Why? Because the question came out on May 9. That's why. If the same question comes out on September 9th, you may or may not get a different answer. Based on what I've seen, he's got a way to go in order to be "better" than the two vets on the roster. In my opinion, he should sit this year. But, I don't call the shots for the Dolphins. The guy who says he's as good as RG3 is. Really?
Tannehill isn't Newton. Newton has a better arm and is more athletic. Cam also doesn't play in a WCO.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 08:00:26 am »

. Cam also doesn't play in a WCO.

That's a very weak point. Cam played in a spread offense in college which doesn't prepare one for the NFL at all. While Tannehill played in a WCO in college and has almost the same exact offense in the NFL with his same coach.
Landshark
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:45 am »

Newton has a better arm and is more athletic. Cam also doesn't play in a WCO.

You're only half right here.  Tannehill has a much better arm than Newton and is much more accurate with the deep ball.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 08:44:28 am »

You're only half right here.  Tannehill has a much better arm than Newton and is much more accurate with the deep ball.

Yep! Tannehill has an elite NFL arm. Can throw outside the numbers with accuracy and zip. Not many QB's can do that. Some HALL OF FAME QB's could never do that. Now, an elite arm doesn't make an elite QB. Lots of QB's with elite arms were busts and never made it, with that said it is a nice thing to have..lol
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 10:13:54 am »

In honor of this thread, I have named my fantasy football team this year, "Saving Private Ryan Tannehill" That is all. -EK
Landshark
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 01:50:37 pm »

Now, an elite arm doesn't make an elite QB. Lots of QB's with elite arms were busts and never made it.

Exhibit A-  Russell, Jamarcus.  Top overall pick in 2007 draft.

Exhibit B-  Leaf, Ryan.  Second overall pick in 1998 draft.

Exhibit C- Couch, Timothy.  Top overall pick in 1999 draft. 

Exhibit D- Carr, David.  Top overall pick in 2002 draft.

Exhibit E-  Henne, Chad.  Dolphins second round pick in 2008 draft.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I've watched 30 years of football and I've never, ever, heard of the best guy not getting the job.

Really? That's especially funny on a Dolphins board, since Marino sat the first 5 games, even though he was CLEARLY the better QB on that team. There's no way to defend your statement in light of that. But having said that, do you really believe Hasselbeck is better than Locker? How about Eli? Number one overall pick and he didn't start until late November his rookie year. And Big Ben? He was 13-0 his rookie season- pretty obviously the best QB Pittsburgh had, and yet he was listed THIRD on their depth chart to start the season. Those are just the ones off the top of my head! So, no... The best guy doesn't always start. -EK
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 07:26:34 pm »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I have.  If the best guy is a late round draft pick or aging journeyman and the team used a first round draft pick on the guy that was not quite as good. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I've watched 30+ years of football and I've seen it happen quite a few times, including in Miami.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 01:37:53 pm »

Exhibit A-  Russell, Jamarcus.  Top overall pick in 2007 draft.

Exhibit B-  Leaf, Ryan.  Second overall pick in 1998 draft.

Exhibit C- Couch, Timothy.  Top overall pick in 1999 draft. 

Exhibit D- Carr, David.  Top overall pick in 2002 draft.

Exhibit E-  Henne, Chad.  Dolphins second round pick in 2008 draft.

I had a better arm than Carr or Couch.  This stance works better with Jeff George.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
AquaandOrange

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 07:45:31 pm »

Really? That's especially funny on a Dolphins board, since Marino sat the first 5 games, even though he was CLEARLY the better QB on that team. There's no way to defend your statement in light of that. But having said that, do you really believe Hasselbeck is better than Locker? How about Eli? Number one overall pick and he didn't start until late November his rookie year. And Big Ben? He was 13-0 his rookie season- pretty obviously the best QB Pittsburgh had, and yet he was listed THIRD on their depth chart to start the season. Those are just the ones off the top of my head! So, no... The best guy doesn't always start. -EK

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Did Don tell you why Marino didnt start from Day 1? Did Marino know the playbook? Was he partying in South Beach? Did Don tell you the norm back in those days were to sit the Rookie QB for some games?

Im just wondering what kind of info you got from Mr. Shula.

BTW, I said 30 years, and you had to go all the way back to 30 years to give an example.

Follow me on Twitter @aqua_and_orange
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Did Don tell you why Marino didnt start from Day 1? Did Marino know the playbook? Was he partying in South Beach? Did Don tell you the norm back in those days were to sit the Rookie QB for some games?

Im just wondering what kind of info you got from Mr. Shula.

Not to mention the year Marino came into the league as a rookie the QB in front of him on the depth chart just led the team to the Super Bowl the year before
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray