Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:14:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  My money is on Tannehill starting week 1...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: My money is on Tannehill starting week 1...  (Read 19208 times)
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:21 pm »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Did Don tell you why Marino didnt start from Day 1? Did Marino know the playbook? Was he partying in South Beach? Did Don tell you the norm back in those days were to sit the Rookie QB for some games?

Im just wondering what kind of info you got from Mr. Shula.

BTW, I said 30 years, and you had to go all the way back to 30 years to give an example.

Way to ignore the THREE other examples I gave you and the TWO other people who told you that you were wrong. Consistency? Negative. -EK
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »

I am not worried about Tannehill's knowledge of the playbook, mobility or ability to throw the ball.  I am worried about turnovers, the speed of the game and fan/media ignorance.

Corners and safeties in this league will bait you into bad throws.  They cover ground faster and the windows are much smaller.  If Tannehill doesn't start well, our fans are going to associate him with every other unsuccessful QB this team has had since Marino.  Only a small percent will understand the growing pains.  It is a risky scenerio for his long term success with little to gain.

I would rather Tannehill be prepared for the differences he will face than to throw him in there with the overated "learn on the job" philosophy.  Moore and Garrard both know what they would be facing, let them hold down the fort for a year.  Let Tannehill get some experience on the practice field and preseason games.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »

^^^I get what you are saying, but you can only learn so much from the sidelines and in practice.  I don't think he should start the season, but he better be in there by week 9.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »

The speed is the biggest thing he'll have to adjust to.  I don't see why you can't throw him in on day one if he's prepared.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 05:42:43 pm »

The speed is the biggest thing he'll have to adjust to.  I don't see why you can't throw him in on day one if he's prepared.

They very well might. If he has the grasp of the offense down and is comfortable with the first team, and its just only a matter of getting used to NFL speed, then he will see the field if not day 1 then real soon! Training camp will tell us everything we need to know. It will play out and these coaches will do the right thing.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 05:32:49 am »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829297d2/article/garrard-ryan-tannehill-knows-offense-better-than-vets?module=HP11_MYNFL

David Garrard admits that Tannehill knows the offense better than he and Moore. First time he has seen a rookie in a meeting know more than the Vets! lol
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:53 am »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829297d2/article/garrard-ryan-tannehill-knows-offense-better-than-vets?module=HP11_MYNFL

David Garrard admits that Tannehill knows the offense better than he and Moore. First time he has seen a rookie in a meeting know more than the Vets! lol

He has said this in at least two interviews I have heard, but he always follows it with Tannehill not knowing defenses or the speed of the game in the NFL.

In short, he may know the offense but he doesn't know NFL defenses.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:52 am »

He has said this in at least two interviews I have heard, but he always follows it with Tannehill not knowing defenses or the speed of the game in the NFL.

In short, he may know the offense but he doesn't know NFL defenses.

And isn't this what it really comes down to?? All the predraft stuff was exactly this. No one said he didn't know the offense- EVERYONE said he would get eaten alive by the defenses. -EK
el diablo
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »

Wow! You mean there's more to being an NFL QB, than having an "elite" arm & knowing the playbook? I'm shocked!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »

^^^^ You also have to know how to say HUT! really good and use words like RED and EIGHTY Evil

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »

Matt Moore named team MVP for 2011. He's also reportedly "very comfortable" with the offense and picking it up quicker than he thought he would, loving not feeling the pressure to hit "that one guy" and instead having so many options with the WCO. Seriously, guys, there's no chance Tannehill starts in week one. He may not see the field this year if the team plays over .500. -EK
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7956287/miami-dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-expects-matt-moore-start-qb

From ESPN.com:

Owner expects Matt Moore to start:

"Despite drafting a quarterback with Miami's first-round pick in April, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says he expects incumbent Matt Moore to start the 2012 season under center.

Ross told NFL.com on Monday that rookie Ryan Tannehill, drafted out of Texas A&M with No. 8 overall pick, will not become the starter until he is ready.

"I don't think they're going to rush (Tannehill) into anything," Ross told the website. "He's going to have to win the starting job. I think Matt Moore will probably be the starter, and I wish him the best."

Moore exceeded expectations starting the final 12 games last year, when Miami went 6-10. Moore is also expected to compete with veteran newcomer David Garrard for the starting job, which will give new coach Joe Philbin time to groom Tannehill for the job.

On Monday, Ross refused to rule out Moore as the long-term starter despite the Tannehill selection.

"Whenever (Tannehill) is ready," Ross told NFL.com when asked when he expected Tannehill to start. "And if Matt Moore develops, so be it. We want a franchise quarterback."

Tannehill, the first QB selected in the opening round by the Dolphins since Dan Marino in 1983, might have been a reach at No. 8. He started just 19 games in college after switching from receiver to quarterback, and last year he threw 15 interceptions while going only 1-4 against Top 25 teams.

But the 6-foot-4, 222-pound Tannehill received favorable reviews from his college coach, Mike Sherman, the Dolphins' new offensive coordinator. General manager Jeff Ireland said that while Tannehill lacks experience, his size, arm strength, toughness, intelligence and overall athletic ability make him a top prospect.

"I didn't take him with the eighth pick in the draft for him to be a backup quarterback," Ireland said after drafting Tannehill in April. "I picked him to be a starting quarterback in this league at some point to have an impact on the team and help us win games and championships. That's the expectation."

Can we stop with the "Tannehill will start in week one" stuff now? It's not happening. -EK
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:21 pm »

Can we stop with the "Tannehill will start in week one" stuff now? It's not happening. -EK

While I agree that Tannehill will not be the opening day starter, this story didn't do anything to stop people from thinking he can. Ross says he doesn't expect it, he never said he won't. There is a big difference and even if they said he won't, who believes anything out of an NFL owner or GM or coach?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »

While I agree that Tannehill will not be the opening day starter, this story didn't do anything to stop people from thinking he can. Ross says he doesn't expect it, he never said he won't. There is a big difference and even if they said he won't, who believes anything out of an NFL owner or GM or coach?

Ross also expected Harbaugh and Fisher to be his coach. And proclaimed Chad  Henne the next Dan Marino last year. Ross's track record on these proclamations have been 100% wrong.

With Ross saying this I expect Garrard to start Week 1, Tannehill as the #2 and Moore to be cut! lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray