Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:17:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  My money is on Tannehill starting week 1...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: My money is on Tannehill starting week 1...  (Read 19206 times)
AquaandOrange

« on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:41 pm »

I could be wrong, but, I think there are strong indications that not only does the FO and the Coaches want RT to be the opening day starter, but I really feel that they BELIEVE he will be the starter. I think Jeff Ireland and Coach Philbin are truly infatuated with Ryan and feel he is the real deal. Ireland already said he felt RT was on the same level with RG3, and Washington wasted no time in naming RG3 the starter.

Now, I do believe there will be a true competition. I also feel they will give Gerrard and Moore a fair chance. But all indications show that our leaders want RT to be the guy. Here is some further references to the indication:

@ESPN760
AM Headlines - #NFL - #Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland says Ryan Tannehill will "look like he's ready pretty quickly" doesn't rule out starting him

Follow me on Twitter @aqua_and_orange
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »

Of course they want him to be the QB, but that doesn't mean it's going to influence their decision. I don't think they really feel it necessary to start him week 1, in fact I think they would prefer that he sits for a while and they get a chance to see how the season unfolds even if it looks like he will be ready in week 1. If they start him week 1 and the team doesn't do well, then it will be ALL on Ryan Tannehill and they do NOT want that. However if Moore or Garrard start week 1 and the team doesn't do well, then they can bring him in at anytime and there won't be much expectations placed on him. Now it's true that if started week 1 and the team does well that would be fantastic, but I think that's a bit much to expect from the team considering there's a completely new coaching staff with matching new offense and defense. Most likely the team is gonna have a few growing pains the first couple weeks of the season no matter who starts.

So basically there's too much risk to starting him week 1 and probably not enough reward. This year isn't about winning the AFC East, everyone including the Dolphins staff knows that. This year is about building something or rebuilding it if you prefer and that means that RT will have to wait till the time is right and that's not week 1. Personally I think around week 8 or 9 with team around 4-5 or 3-6 and the fans antsy to see RT, he'll come off the bench for a quarter or a half to see how he does. If he does well, then maybe the next week or maybe 2 weeks later, when the Dolphins chances of making the playoffs are on life support you'll see a start from him. Best case he starts about the last 4 or 5 games and doesn't look like a rookie, then it's all RT in 2013.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:35:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:30:02 am »

Echoing the above really...there is no need to start him week one unless you feel like you're making the difference between an also ran and a playoff team.

Let Moore get the team loosened up in the first few games, get all the new players synched a bit and throw RT on in garbage time to get him used to the bright lights and pace to build some confidence.

Then manage him, if our OL is struggling there's little value throwing him to the wolves to get the confidence beaten out of him, let him sit the rest of the year and beef up the OL next year to support him better.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:29 am »

I keep hearing the pre-draft reports that Tannehill will "get eaten alive" if he starts at ANY point this year. No chance he's starting week one unless the team bus gets in some sort of accident and Moore, Garrard, and Devlin all get injured. -EK
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:01:14 am »

WAAAYYY to early to determine if he would be ready to start week #1.  Even if they think he is on an equal level with Moore and Garrard I would prefer they not start him til about week #4.  The newly constituted O-line could use a couple full speed games to get their timing down, so there is a higher potential for injuries in the first few weeks.  Not to mention Miami opens with a soft schedule, Moore or Garrard ought to be able to lead the Fins to victories in these games.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:15 am »

Regarding the Oline- just read an article on Phinsider (I think it was 10 Bold Predictions for 2012) that touted Long, Pouncey, and Martin to all make the Pro Bowl this year. If that happens, I could see a Wild Card spot for Miami. -EK
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »

I don't gamble, but my money would be against him starting week 1.  I don't think he cracks the first half of the season without an injury to either Moore or Garrard and then a midiocre showing by the healthy one.

His best shot at starting is to earn the #2 spot and if he gets play time do something good with it.  I see a lot of parallels to how the Titans handled Locker last year.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »

Wouldn't be shocked if he starts Week 1. I think more realistic though is they let Moore/Gararrd start for a month or so then come mid-October they hand the keys to Tannehill and let him take over.

To me Tannehill is the #2 QB to start the season. Moore or Gararrd won't be on the opening day roster, one will be cut at some point in camp.  The other will start for a month or so then it gets handed over to Tannehill.

I would shocked if Tannehill sits all year and doesn't get a few starts. I think he gets more than a few but he dam sure isn't going to be 3rd on the depth chart that is a waste and he will get lots of playing time if not half of the starts this year.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »

Moore or Gararrd won't be on the opening day roster, one will be cut at some point in camp. 

I've been thinking the same thing with the idea that Moore beats out Garrard.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »

I've been thinking the same thing with the idea that Moore beats out Garrard.

Moore and Garrard are equal to me. Both on their best days aren't very good. If Garrard beat out Moore or if Moore beat out Gararrd it wouldn't make much difference on this team. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:24:35 am »

Moore showed he can play last year, granted he's no Tom Brady.  It's Garrard who has to show something in camp, otherwise he's #3 or headed to some other teams' bench.
el diablo
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:50:03 pm »

The only way I see Tannehill starts anytime this season, is when the dolphins are mathematically out of the playoffs. Or of course, injury. You don't upset the balance during a playoff run.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:10:12 pm »

The only way I see Tannehill starts anytime this season, is when the dolphins are mathematically out of the playoffs. Or of course, injury. You don't upset the balance during a playoff run.

Something to remember. Tannehill holds all tiebreakers if its close. If he actually is the best QB in training camp or its close between he and Moore or he and Garrard, Tannehill will get the job! He is young, he is the future, he will be the highest paid QB on the roster, he is a Top 10 pick, so if he is the best QB on the team or its so close its a coin toss... he gets the job!

I take NOTHING away from rookie mini-camp. I mean he is playing against a bunch of guys who will be slicing meat at a deli or working for UPS in like 5 months. It's rookie mini-camp where most of the guys he lined up against are scrubs. So lets see how training camp plays out, but to make a blanket statement that...."he won't start till.." and attach a date to it is silly. If he is the BEST QB, let him play from day 1.  If he isn't fine, he won't.  But if by Week 3 or 5 or whatever, if he becomes the best QB on the roster you play him.
el diablo
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 07:58:01 pm »

That's true of any position. The better man should start. The problem is, he's not the better man. Yes, he's the highest paid. Doesn't mean anything. He's a project. Does that mean that he won't develop? No. Is it a crime to sit behind Moore? No. Could he blow away the competition in training camp? Possibly. Doubt it. He has a leg up by knowing the system. Moore has a leg up with experience. But I still have my money on the over in this.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:14:22 pm »

The better man should start. The problem is, he's not the better man.

How do you know? Let's let training camp play out first! Tannehill could blow away Garrard and Moore. It's not like he is sitting behind Montana and Young. It's David Garrard and Matt Moore. Both marginal NFL QB's at best at this stage in their carerrs!

Yes, he's the highest paid. Doesn't mean anything.

It means everything! This is also a business!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray