Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:10:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Just found out that Brian Hartline had an appendectomy.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Just found out that Brian Hartline had an appendectomy.  (Read 1825 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:46 am »

That's why he missed a lot of training camp. You know it would be nice if the media would deem it a story if one of the starting WR's has an unscheduled surgery. Guess it's more important to have like 15 stories on Chad Johnson and his multiple last names. You know if he would have missed training camp to go to a hearing on his drunk driving charge we would have heard about it for a month straight.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:10:24 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:27:07 am »

It was reported. Coach said he was out for personal reasons. A few days later the media found out he had his appendix removed and attempted to call Philben a liar. He reiterrated that he felt it was a personal issue and if Hartline wanted people to know he would tell them. He wasn't required to report anything as it isn't football related.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »

Would Philbin even be ALLOWED to share that with the media? (HIPPA)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:45:26 pm »

Philbin isn't a healthcare worker so I don't think HIPPA laws would pertain. Also I expect there is some exemption as health infromation of professional athletes is released all the time.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:51:51 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »

Philbin was correct.  It is not a football-related injury, therefore it is personal reasons.

Replace "appendicitis" with "gonorrhea" and this becomes crystal clear.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:07:21 pm »

You all are missing my point. My point wasn't whether or not Philbin reported it, but rather that when Hartline reported it, no one gives a damn because it's not sensationalist journalism. If he had reported that he was holding out for more money the press would have been all over it for weeks on end. Have a serious medical condition, the press couldn't give a damn, have a speeding ticket and they are lining up to write the story.

The important part of the equation is that he missed a month of camp and yet I barely heard a word about it once they found out it was due to circumstances beyond his control. If you are reporting football news then it should be just as big of a story that Hartline missed most of training camp because of a serious medical condition, perhaps even more important as his ability to recover from that condition may impact his play. Obviously reporting on the Dolphins isn't nearly as important as getting folks to visit the website. That's my beef.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:13:22 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:54 pm »

Pappy13, your point is self-explanatory; the talking heads can't jump on the telly and yammer about how selfish and spoiled Hartline is for contracting appendicitis, but they can do that if he's holding out for more money, or if he injures himself doing wheelies on a motorcycle, or if he's caught with a gun in Da Cluuub.

Sports media outlets are only interested in news stories to the extent that they can unceasingly overanalyze them.

Landshark
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »

Sports media outlets are only interested in news stories to the extent that they can unceasingly overanalyze them.

The reason is, an overanalyzed story that gets people to gossip also sells newspapers/magazines.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »

Philbin isn't a healthcare worker so I don't think HIPPA laws would pertain. Also I expect there is some exemption as health infromation of professional athletes is released all the time.

Since the team is the employer and paying for medical care, I'm fairly sure they are subject to at least some regulations (whether HIPPA or otherwise).

Cf. http://byucougars.com/athletics/hippa-101
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:25 am »

Right. Now wouldn't it be nice if it didn't have to be that way? That's all that I was saying.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:41:40 am »

Since the team is the employer and paying for medical care, I'm fairly sure they are subject to at least some regulations (whether HIPPA or otherwise).

Cf. http://byucougars.com/athletics/hippa-101

There is probably some sort of regulation (not sure college athletes would fall under the same areas though) but I would expect they have waived some things. Afterall, just about every newspapaer I have ever read has NFL approved injury reports in it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:44:41 am »

Right. Now wouldn't it be nice if it didn't have to be that way? That's all that I was saying.
It would be great.  And this goes for all media in all arenas - politics, religion, everything.
Fins4ever
Uber Member

Dan the Dolphin

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:59:03 am »

Would Philbin even be ALLOWED to share that with the media? (HIPPA)
------------------------

Only if he wanted to get sued.

To lack vision is worse than being blind - Helen Keller
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »

There is probably some sort of regulation (not sure college athletes would fall under the same areas though) but I would expect they have waived some things. Afterall, just about every newspapaer I have ever read has NFL approved injury reports in it.
I think injury reports only cover football-related injuries, though.

If a player had a non-football medical condition (e.g. mono), I find it hard to believe that the NFL would be able to broadcast that information without his consent.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray