Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:19:37 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Shotgun anyone?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shotgun anyone?  (Read 1674 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:51 am »

Was doing a little analysis of the 2 preseason games on Ryan Tannehill and noticed something I thought was interesting. From the Shotgun Tannehill is 21 of 32 for 231 yards and a TD. From under center Tannehill is 4 of 11 for 36 yards. That's a pretty significant difference. Might just be circumstantial, but it's something to watch for. I've heard that rookies tend to do better from the shotgun because it's easier to read the defense that way rather than when you are dropping back.

Shotgun:
Tannehill 21 of 32 for 231 yards and TD
Moore 8 of 15 for 89 yards
Devlin 20 of 33 for 181 yards and TD

Under Center:
Tannehill 4 of 11 for 36 yards
Moore 4 of 11 for 47 yards
Devlin 1 of 2 for 4 yards

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:22:28 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:19 am »

And some more to ponder:

No huddle:
Tannehill 13 of 20 for 140 yards and TD
Moore 3 of 9 for 34 yards and INT
Devlin 20 of 32 for 132 yards

Huddle:
Tannehill 12 of 23 for 127 yards
Moore 9 of 18 for 102 yards
Devlin 9 of 16 for 53 yards TD and INT

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:32 am »

Too bad we have a center who can't snap into shotgun without putting it over the QB's head periodically.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:28 pm »

Too bad we have a center who can't snap into shotgun without putting it over the QB's head periodically.
I think they have been working on this in practice quite a bit and it's not like we haven't had any bad exchanges when under center. I don't think there's been any turnovers on bad snaps in preseason though which is a good sign.

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »

Shotgun is good for pre-snap reads but not good for post-snap reads.  Considering I doubt Tannehill's post-snap reads are developed yet, I would say the shotgun would be good.

However, shotgun is not great for play action and timing routes.  These are staples of the "West Coast Offense", so it really comes down to how much the coaches are willing to change to suit a young QB.

My vote would be to stay under center and try to develop the run game/play action as much as possible.  Leave the shotgun for later in the games when there is already minimal threat of running the ball.

I get the logic though and wouldn't be VERY opposed to running a ton of shotgun.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:11:55 pm »

The offense wants to play really fast this year. But if they play fast and don't move the chains they will wear out the defense by halftime. The speed at which Miami plays will be dictated by how effective they are moving the ball. If Miami struggles and has a lot of 3 and outs the plan of "fast break football and 80+ snaps a game" might be put on the shelf this year.

Having the rookie in the shotgun will help some early on.
el diablo
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:40:27 pm »

Doesn't matter until they are fundamentally sound.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »

did anyone account for play selection?  The reason I ask is, if everytime any quarterback is in the shotgun, he is throwing a quick slant or a hitch or a screen, his completion percentage is going to go up.  Likewise if the same quarterback is under center but throwing deep every play, most likely his percentage will drop.

Just curious...

Edited to add:  I'm much more impressed with the fact that Tannehill doesn't throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and 10.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:46:57 pm by BigDaddyFin » Logged

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »

did anyone account for play selection?  The reason I ask is, if everytime any quarterback is in the shotgun, he is throwing a quick slant or a hitch or a screen, his completion percentage is going to go up.  Likewise if the same quarterback is under center but throwing deep every play, most likely his percentage will drop.

Just curious...

Edited to add:  I'm much more impressed with the fact that Tannehill doesn't throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and 10.
No, I didn't account for play selection but if you just look at yards per completion, Tannehill and Devlin both had higher YPC's from the shotgun then from under center too. Moore's is pretty close, but I don't think play selection really accounts for the difference in completion percentage at least for both Tannehill and Devlin. Seems they are just more successfull running from that formation. I realize too that this is a pretty small sample size especially from under center, so I'm not stating anything as a fact, more just something to watch for as the season goes on.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

If Miami comes out tonight with a 3:1 or 4:1 pass ratio again it will be tough to take this game seriously at all on any level. It just means they want 1 more week to evaluate the WR's.

If they don't know who the top 4 or 5 WR's are at this point then we got bigger issues going on.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:54 am »

No, I didn't account for play selection but if you just look at yards per completion, Tannehill and Devlin both had higher YPC's from the shotgun then from under center too. Moore's is pretty close, but I don't think play selection really accounts for the difference in completion percentage at least for both Tannehill and Devlin. Seems they are just more successfull running from that formation. I realize too that this is a pretty small sample size especially from under center, so I'm not stating anything as a fact, more just something to watch for as the season goes on.

Just wondered.  They're probably calling plays to evaluate guys more than anything else at this point anyhow.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 10:33:31 am »

Just wondered.  They're probably calling plays to evaluate guys more than anything else at this point anyhow.

Up until last night that is what they did on both sides of the ball. Passing the ball at a clip of 5:1 ratio and such.  Which is why Martin looked exposed last week but looked fine last night for the most part.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray