Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:59:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Does Philbin know what he's doing?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Does Philbin know what he's doing?  (Read 7135 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 03:44:49 pm »

Incorrect. Emmitt Smith was indeed from one of the Vikings picks.
Actually they did not use the Vikings pick (#21) to choose Emmitt Smith. They traded it along with another pick of theirs to move up 4 places to pick Emmitt Smith (#17), but after looking at what they did get for the picks, it was more than I realized, so I'll back off my earlier claim a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Still Miami has already receieved 4 picks from trading away Marshall and Davis. It's certainly still within the realm of possibility that they get a few players that could be valuable to them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:54:10 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »

Miami has received a 2nd, two 3rds, and a conditional 6th from trading Marshall and Davis.  (One of these 3rds has already turned into Michael Egnew and B.J. Cunningham, who are both struggling to even make the team.)  This is a far, far cry from three 1sts, three 2nds, a 3rd, and a 6th (what JJ got for Herschel).

In any case, in the salary cap era, it is much more common for a team to immediately catapult from rubbish to royalty than it is to slowly build up over 3+ years.  Having experienced 2007 and 2008, we should all be intensely aware that the difference between being the worst team in the league and an 11-win division championship season is basically lucky bounces and reliable QB play.  It takes a bit more than that to be a perennial contender, but if Philbin is even remotely good at his job (and if he and Ireland have properly judged Tannehill), 9 wins should be the absolute floor for the 2013 season.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »

Just saw this on the Herald's website:

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/28/2971247/vontae-davis-trade-leaves-miami.html#storylink=cpy

Dansby's reaction to the Vontae trade:

“He’s a great player, one of the best corners in the game. I’m not sure about the direction of the team. That’s not my place. My place is to play hard and be the leader of men.”

One of the best??? Is he watching game film?Huh

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Dolarltexas

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 02:10:59 am »

Right now, the team is so horrible that there's really no way to know whether he knows what's he's doing.  At least he's trying to get some extra draft picks next year, so at least there's hope.  I can only ask that the fans give him a fair chance to turn this mess around.  If they don't, the team's reputation could easily get so bad that nobody with any talent would ever want to coach here. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray