Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:15:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Best team in the NFL now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Best team in the NFL now?  (Read 3577 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

I think you could argue that New England is the team to beat, after the way they handled the Texans.  Everyone else looks very beatable.

I drink your milkshake!
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:34 am »

Patriots.  I hate those asshats.
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:59 am »

They remind me of the Yankees and Bulls of the 90s.  Always finding that second wind late in the season
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:38:40 am »

49ers

...with the option to revisit the question after this weekend's Patriots-49ers game. Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:02 am »

Anyone who doubts the Patriots in any game is crazy. They will always be the best team so long as Brady and Bellicheck are there.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:34 am »

Patriots

...with the option to revisit the question after this weekend's Patriots-49ers game. Grin

(this weeks game is huge)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:51:34 am »

I think the Patriots are beatable.  You need to win it up-front though.  Stop the run and pressure Brady.

Don't be fooled by the margins of victory.  They might beat the Jets by 100, doesn't make them the best team. 

I never bought into Houston either, FWIW.

I think Atlanta is going to make the playoffs very interesting.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:00:13 am »

I think the Patriots are beatable.  You need to win it up-front though.  Stop the run and pressure Brady.

Don't be fooled by the margins of victory.  They might beat the Jets by 100, doesn't make them the best team. 

I never bought into Houston either, FWIW.

I think Atlanta is going to make the playoffs very interesting.

Of course NE is beatable.  Every team is.  What I like about NE is that they are playing their best football right now.  In 2007 they were blowing out opponents in Sept/Oct, but in Nov/Dec barely squeaking by mediocre teams.  This year they are improving each week.  Big test this week against the 49rs. 

Atlanta has the best record in the NFL, but have only played one team that is +2 over .500 and that was week 2 before Denver and Peyton was hitting on on cylinders.  And have struggled against not so good teams.  This weeks test against Giants is huge.

Right now, I would say the two best teams in the NFC are 49rs and Packers.  The two best in the AFC are NE & Denver.  Even though in all odds none of them will be the one seed in their Conf. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:35 am »

Brady is quietly going to win another MVP, IMO. It's unfair how good they are playing right now. I'd wager they would be a TD favorite against anyone in the AFC if the playoffs started now. With the way Atlanta got drubbed by Cam last week, I think they're one and done in the playoffs. -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 11:32:44 am »

I disagree.  I think Houston is a better team than San Fran, and they got by easily.

However, I think San Fran matches up better against NE than Houston does, because their strengths are in their defensive front-seven.  That's the formula.  It'll be interesting to see the Smith brothers attack Brady and see who wins that battle.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 11:35:22 am »

I disagree.  I think Houston is a better team than San Fran, and they got by easily.

However, I think San Fran matches up better against NE than Houston does, because their strengths are in their defensive front-seven.  That's the formula.  It'll be interesting to see the Smith brothers attack Brady and see who wins that battle.

Houston is pretty nasty up front also. I'm not sure San Fran is all that much better overall.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:37:37 am »

Outside of JJ Watt, I don't see much up front that strikes fear into their opponents.  I may be talking crazy, though.  I admittedly don't know a ton about Houston's defense.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:43:36 am »

Been on New England's bandwagon for quite some time. Picked 'em for the Super Bowl at the beginning of the year, and I aint backni' down!  Cheesy
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:32:48 pm »

There are four or five teams that could win on any given sunday, or saturday, but the Pats are picking up steam.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »

Outside of JJ Watt, I don't see much up front that strikes fear into their opponents.  I may be talking crazy, though.  I admittedly don't know a ton about Houston's defense.

I really like Whitney Mercilus, and not just because "Mercilus" is an awesome name for a linebacker. I also like Johnathan Joseph in their D-backfield. Houston definitely has a solid defense, but...

Houston is pretty nasty up front also. I'm not sure San Fran is all that much better overall.

...San Francisco's front seven is at least a notch or two better than Houston's, imo... but where SF really trumps Houston are the units that are facing those front sevens, the O-lines. San Francisco has easily the best O-line in the league (per both pro football focus and football outsiders rankings), and might have one of the best run-blocking lines "ever." If we're talking about trench warfare between Houston and San Francisco, SF wins going away.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray