Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:04:09 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  I want "hard" NFL news.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I want "hard" NFL news.  (Read 2716 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »

I like shows like Around the Horn and PTI during the week.  Those shows are fine.  However, I really would like some hard NFL news each week.  Does such a thing exist?

I can't even watch Sunday morning coverage.  It's terrible.  It's all human interest stuff and fluff, talking about gun-slingers and heart, and someone's mom who has cancer or some human-interest BS.  I want Xs and Os.  I want to know that the Steelers are going to beat the Chiefs, not because Ben Roethlisberger "loves to compete", but because when the Steelers pull the 2 guard, it creates a mismatch of a LB on a TE, and the Chiefs don't have speed at the LB position to keep up with Heath Miller, so they have to cheat a safety.

I'd also like a breakdown of what a particular game means for the standings and how the schedule looks ahead.  Basically, I want a 1/2 hour dedicated to details about every NFL team for that week.  I see a little splash of this from Jaws once in a while, but it's all on-the-surface.

Is this something you guys would watch?

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »

NBC Sports network. Sports Talk show.  With Eric Kuselias, Peter King, Rodney Harrison, and Mike Florio. During the NFL season they get in depth on stuff, they don't try to be standup comics, and they give good insight. It's not a dedicated NFL show but during football season it pretty much is!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:20:44 pm »

^ Thanks.  I have to see if I even have that channel.  I will definitely Tivo it.

I drink your milkshake!
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »

I will as well.  Thank you Mike.  You have a knack for finding good news sources that go in depth to the news without much fluff.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:59:33 pm »

I have to see if I even have that channel. 

It is the new name for Versus.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:49:02 am »

Have you considered for example Playbook on NFL network or ESPN had a show called Matchup where Jaws basically went over game tape as prep for upcoming games. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:58:10 am »

Have you considered for example Playbook on NFL network or ESPN had a show called Matchup where Jaws basically went over game tape as prep for upcoming games. 

But those shows don't do "every" game. They do the marquee games of the week
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:07:33 am »

It might not be a TV show you're after, but a good NFL podcast. TV shows are usually made for the lowest common denominator, but podcasts can cater to a smaller and more discerning audience.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:21 am »

It might not be a TV show you're after, but a good NFL podcast. TV shows are usually made for the lowest common denominator, but podcasts can cater to a smaller and more discerning audience.

totally agree!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:35:00 am »

I wish they would make a show where it was essentially Jon Gruden or anyone who used to be a coach not named Brian Billick sitting down and doing X and O matchups and stuff like that for every game.  That'd be pretty awesome.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 11:38:23 am »

I wish they would make a show where it was essentially Jon Gruden or anyone who used to be a coach not named Brian Billick sitting down and doing X and O matchups and stuff like that for every game.  That'd be pretty awesome.

You mean you don't trust Brian Billick who still thinks the Raiders beat Miami in Week 2 of this year...lol lol (and he wrote an NFL.com column on how they beat us)

Billick is a clueless clown!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »

Most of the podcasts I know of are fan podcasts.  They are fun, but aren't really super-informative.  ...more editorial stuff.  Do you have a good Dolphins podcast?

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 01:45:43 pm »

Most of the podcasts I know of are fan podcasts.  They are fun, but aren't really super-informative.  ...more editorial stuff.  Do you have a good Dolphins podcast?

Finsiders website if you just want access to coaches and players. But it is run by paid employees of the organization. So, they are never super tough on the coaches and players. Sometimes they are but sometimes they go cupcake route

ESPN podcenter is actually decent most of the time
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »

I like the Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders podcasts... Football Guys and ESPN Football Today are pretty good as well.  If you just want news on players relevant to fantasy football, then ESPN Fantasy Focus is pretty solid.

Any podcasts dedicated to a single NFL team are bound to be skewed a little bit from the fan perspective.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 04:03:57 pm »

OK, so I don't know if this is the specific show you're talking about, but I switched over to the timeslot of this "SportsTalk" on NBC Sports.  Instead, they had a show on called Pro Football Talk.

It was fantastic and exactly what I was talking about.  No BS, no jokes, no comments about "heart" and "drive".  They analyzed the NFL and this week it was all about teams that were moving around GMs and coaches.  I loved it.  Great job with the recommendation, MikeO.  THanks.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray