Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86558 times)
bsfins
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »

Not being a local  errr Floridian....How they do it, if they do it,stay or move whatever really doesn't matter much to me...
I'm not wild on the Long low grade of the stands,I like the idea of a more vertical (steeper grade of seats).I think Seattle stadium looks cool, it feels like the fans are right on the field...

All the renderings make it feel like the cheap seats are farther from the field... Undecided  I don't like it at all really...

I admit, even sitting in the nose bleed seats in the the freezing rain and sleet at Arrowhead,we had a good view of the field....

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:13:30 pm »

I don't like the thought of an upgrade, wasted money, the stands are too far away from the field.  Wait a pair of years until the team is winning and build a new stadium, WITHOUT tax money.

no stadium in this day of age will get built without tax payer money. Unrealistic.
Landshark
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:14 pm »

I like the stadium design.  It looks rather cool.  However, after that stunt the Marlins pulled, the Dolphins have their work cut out for them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:00:42 pm by Landshark » Logged
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »

the stadium designs kinda remind me of a european soccer stadium with the partial covering and the way the stands are worked out
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:24 pm »

Ross is paying for a big bulk of it himself which is a good start. IF their demands aren't outrageous I think he can get it done.  It will be tough though

They want it to be a soccer stadium when football isn't being played which is why it has that look.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:36 am »

I'd say it has more that look because it's an old stadium trying to be retrofitted.

Soccer stadiums in the US seat 20,000 people ... not 77,000. The MLS wants soccer specific stadiums and will not allow a team to retrofit a football stadium ... Seattle being the unusual exception.  If they are designing the stadium for the 1 showcase game a year they have then I'm speechless.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:06 am »

i'd love miami to have a soccer team in MLS .. or at least one that isn't so dumpy in the USL

i miss the fusion when they were down here.

the pacific northwest has an abundance of soccer teams with the sounders and the portland team
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:30 am »

i'd love miami to have a soccer team in MLS .. or at least one that isn't so dumpy in the USL

i miss the fusion when they were down here.

the pacific northwest has an abundance of soccer teams with the sounders and the portland team
Orlando City is working very hard to get an MLS team. Garbor has pretty much told us that they have to have a soccer specific stadium (in the works) and a rival. This means either Tampa or Miami has to step up.

I had not thought about it before but he feels that for a Florida team to be successful they will need a rival.  Apparently he talked to Tampa because after two years of saying no they have now agreed to start playing the I-4 war.

Orlando is in apparently great shape and now it's up to the Tampa Bay Rowdies, Ft. Lauderdale Strikers or  VSI Tampa FC to get it done. I hear VSI is working on a stadium deal.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 11:25:09 am »

I am against this as history has shown the city eats a lot more cost than initially projected. Of course, I live in New York and I have my own bullshit stadium deals to deal with. 4 new ones in the last 5 years to be exact.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:07 am »

I also wonder how much this is actually correcting.  The sight lines on the lower corners are still suspect -- moreso now that you're adding in additional seats.

While definitely an improvement, it feels kinda half-assed.  Why not just re-pour the entire lower bowl instead of having these extra sections added.  I am sure it's cost/benefit, but if you're already spending 400 mil...damn.  How much do these new stadiums cost?

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »

I am sure it's cost/benefit, but if you're already spending 400 mil...damn.  How much do these new stadiums cost?

Going rate these days is $1 bill. Little less sometiems but around a billion when all is said and done.

Metlife was around $1.6 bill. Cowboys stadium was around $1.15 bill.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:39:51 pm by MikeO » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »

Wait...Half- assed,isn't that the Dolphin way anymore. Shocked Oops I said that outloud didn't I? Cheesy

Didn't they just do an "outside" remodel like 1 or 2 years ago,bigger luxury boxes or something like that.I also Question how much "fanvision"  stuff plays into this...

The more I look at the pictures the less I like it.I think No baseball team here, now's the time to make it "The Dolphins",It shouldn't look like someone else's stadium.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:18 pm »

Metlife was around $1.6 Billion because of our corrupt politicians and unions. It is a dump, one of the most aesthetically unpleasing sports arenas/stadiums in the country. Meanwhile, you have that cathedral in Dallas which is immaculate AND can house offseason events due to it's roof which was made for $500 Million cheaper. That helps offset the cost and creates larger profits down the road.

If Miami was going to spend $400 Million on renovations, just start building a new stadium in a better location with a retractable roof. As long as the corruption is held to a minimum, it would be 3 times the cost, but that money could be made back much quicker with the increase in events that aren't football related. Have the stupid Rolling Stones play there anytime of the year and not worry about the rain.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 02:03:16 pm »

It looks like they are re-pouring the lower bowl.  The 10-foot distance between club and lowers is being eaten up by raising the entire lower bowl, and extending it downward.

But you have to realize they keep talking about major events like Super Bowls an bowl games, but that also includes not MLS soccer but international soccer as well.  Last year they held 2 soccer games, including FC Barcelona, AC Milan, and Chelsea, and sold out every one of them.  That's 77,000+ people at a soccer game.  Not trivial.  So its not JUST about hosting MLS.  The soccer field is much bigger than a football field, which is why the stadium is designed as it is now.  Anything they do to extend the lowers will probably need to be retractable, similar to how the Marlins outfield was.
srt8

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:30 pm »

Metlife was around $1.6 Billion because of our corrupt politicians and unions. It is a dump, one of the most aesthetically unpleasing sports arenas/stadiums in the country. Meanwhile, you have that cathedral in Dallas which is immaculate AND can house offseason events due to it's roof which was made for $500 Million cheaper. That helps offset the cost and creates larger profits down the road.

If Miami was going to spend $400 Million on renovations, just start building a new stadium in a better location with a retractable roof. As long as the corruption is held to a minimum, it would be 3 times the cost, but that money could be made back much quicker with the increase in events that aren't football related. Have the stupid Rolling Stones play there anytime of the year and not worry about the rain.

I would say start from scratch with a new venue. Seems to be a better dollar for dollar investment.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray