Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:51:43 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86626 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:31 pm »

I'm with you B. Thats exactly how I feel about it too!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 12:59:34 pm »

I think you're spot on.  I agree with you.  They always do things "kinda good enough" in the best interest of money and financial gain, rather than to help out the football team.  Let's face it, these improvements have ZERO to do with the Dolphins, and everything to do with Super Bowls, BCS championship games and international soccer.  All things that they get money for.  It is just a way for them to increase the price they charge to let people use the stadium (and to raise ticket prices without actually raising ticket prices).  It helps the Dolphins almost none.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »

I'm kinda in the same boat, too.

Now that the Marlins are gone, I see an opportunity to make this the Miami Dolphins stadium FIRST.  Then, if they want to have concerts and soccer and all that, great -- but not at the expense of making it a great football experience.  That's my problem with the whole plan to begin with.  The "bones" of the lower deck has the seats too far from the field.  That should be fully fixed -- not just patched.  Other than that, the changes look good, for the most part.

Are they ditching the high def screens in the end-zone? 
Are they moving the screen(s) that they have and adding 2 more?  Or just putting in 4 new screens?

Are the seats in the corners temporary?  Will they be collapsible?  Will they be there for Dolphins game?  All games?  Only high profile?

I'm concerned with the "janky" transition of the sidelines to the endzones.  I have little faith that those lower corner seats are going to be worth the price of admission.  And what are those weird, brown seats in the renderings?

I drink your milkshake!
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »

Having read some of the "improvements" suggested with the supplied artist impressions, my first reaction is that of horror and disbelief. Sure I live half way around the world and have never been to the place (really hope to change that one day), but hear me out on this one... 

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and you guys may find interesting the issues we've had with the local stadiums here for Australian Rules Football. The local league built a purpose built stadium back in the mid 1970s called Football Park (later on naming rights were sold to call it AAMI Stadium) with its own money. It's been upgraded over the years with Government subsidies to increase capacity and improve some facilities, but always suffered two major criticisms -  the stadium is too far away from the city, and the seating design is a modest incline, meaning the seats are too far away from the field (sound familiar?)

The AFL eventually negotiated a deal between the Government, local football & cricket organizations to move football back to a renovated Adelaide Oval - on the surface that sounds like a good deal, a stadium located in the city with good facilities and viewing. The problems though are that the huge outlay is being funded wholly by the taxpayer, the new stadium has an end missing and looks like a giant toilet seat, doesn't really suit either AFL or cricket (or anything else for that matter), and will likely cost as much as building a brand-new (genuinely multi-purpose) stadium from scratch.

Looking over the proposed changes, I can't heap thinking it's repeating some of the huge mistakes we've made here.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 01:30:48 pm »

I'm kinda in the same boat, too.

Now that the Marlins are gone, I see an opportunity to make this the Miami Dolphins stadium FIRST.  Then, if they want to have concerts and soccer and all that, great -- but not at the expense of making it a great football experience.  That's my problem with the whole plan to begin with.  The "bones" of the lower deck has the seats too far from the field.  That should be fully fixed -- not just patched.  Other than that, the changes look good, for the most part.

Are they ditching the high def screens in the end-zone? 
Are they moving the screen(s) that they have and adding 2 more?  Or just putting in 4 new screens?

Are the seats in the corners temporary?  Will they be collapsible?  Will they be there for Dolphins game?  All games?  Only high profile?

I'm concerned with the "janky" transition of the sidelines to the endzones.  I have little faith that those lower corner seats are going to be worth the price of admission.  And what are those weird, brown seats in the renderings?

No stadium is prefect. And trying to fix up a 25 year old stadium isn't easy. But lets face the facts....the Fins aren't getting a new building anytime soon. In this economy, in that city, after the Marlins just ripped everyone off....it's not gonna happen.  So its either THIS or keep what we currently have which sucks. And for $400 mill (which is cheap) the plan they have outlined ain't all that bad. And the fact Ross is paying the bulk of it out of his own pocket, it's not a bad deal!

After reading more up on it over the past week that is now my official stance on this! lol
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »

First off, I disagree that it sucks.  It's not ideal, but it doesn't suck.  The stadium works fine.  I think it's just causing some problems with sellouts, made worse by the fact that the product blows.

I guess I have to be in favor of something that's going to make our stadium better.  But I don't know if it's the best option. 

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 06:23:58 pm »

First off, I disagree that it sucks.  It's not ideal, but it doesn't suck.  The stadium works fine.  I think it's just causing some problems with sellouts, made worse by the fact that the product blows.

I guess I have to be in favor of something that's going to make our stadium better.  But I don't know if it's the best option. 

If they don't do some upgrades (and $400 mill is cheap upgrades) don't be shocked if this this team moves. Ross owns the stadium full he can move tomorrow if he wants. He isn't tied to the city or anything. Another city (ie LA) see's that as low hanging fruit!!!  Compared to Buffalo and Jax who are locked into their city's and unable to move. Minny has a new stadium. So its pretty much take Miami or have SD or Oakland move. And you think the LA government officials want to piss off one part of the state to make another part of the state happy? No way, they want everyone happy and will push to take a team from ANOTHER city (ie Miami).

The Dolphins demands aren't great. Ross is paying the majority out of his own pocket. Look I would love to kill Ross and rip him on this...but I can't. He is being more than fair!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:33 am »

For those who didn't hear Ross's company is trying to buy AEG. For those who don't know AEG is behind the project to build the NFL Stadium in LA.

Everyone is connecting the dots that Ross could move the Dolphins to LA if he gets his hands on AEG  and that stadium project. Of course Ross is denying it but might be something to keep an eye on.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 09:06:00 am »

I'm pretty sure the other owners have to vote to approve that sort of move...and can you "really" see the NFL abandoning the South Florida market?

I understand that "the sky is falling" is a traditional fall-back position for many fans, but I just don't see the Dolphins leaving Miami any time in the near future.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 09:39:06 am »

I'm pretty sure the other owners have to vote to approve that sort of move...and can you "really" see the NFL abandoning the South Florida market?

I understand that "the sky is falling" is a traditional fall-back position for many fans, but I just don't see the Dolphins leaving Miami any time in the near future.

I could see the move being approved with a stipulation similar to the Cleveland Browns.  Although we all know how well that has worked out in Cleveland
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 09:43:00 am »

It's worked out pretty well for Baltimore although I bet they still wish they had tradition and history too.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 11:53:52 am »

I don't think threats are a good reason to build a stadium.  If Ross wants to move the team, do it and fuck off.

Give people a good product at a fair price and they will be happy to build you a nice stadium that they can enjoy.  Nickel and dime people for years with a shitty team and they won't want to build you one.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »

LA is the #2 media market in the country, so YES! LA > Miami
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2013, 01:16:07 pm »

If you go back and read my statement more closely, I never said "anything" about the NFL not wanting a team in LA...merely that the NFL wouldn't want to lose the South Florida market.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »

I'm actually surprised to see as many people as I have admit to still following the team if they moved.  I'd be scarred and not just not follow them anymore, but likely hate them.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray