Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:26:48 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 87595 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:01 pm »

^^ They know that, they know what's best.  Personally, I don't necessarily agree, since the canopy wasn't covering the field and Super Bowls are held at night.  We worried about some rich people MAYBE getting rained on and the most coveted sporting event in the country?  Not going to cry too much about that one.

but bringing in the sideline seats adds a couple-thousand top-dollar seats and brings in more revenue.  I could see them opting for the renovation that will pay them back later.

we will see. If they do small stuff or do nothing, then that is a sign they don't plan on being in Miami long. So, their actions in the coming months/year will tell us alot
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2013, 03:25:11 pm »

Reports are coming out now that some believe the reason the bill never got to a vote is the Speaker of the House in Florida Will Weatherford is from Tampa and lives there. And if Miami doesn't get anymore Super Bowls then who will get MORE Super Bowls (aka more $$$$$$)......TAMPA!!

A little home cookin within the state many believe which is why this bill died!
Landshark
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »

Reports are coming out now that some believe the reason the bill never got to a vote is the Speaker of the House in Florida Will Weatherford is from Tampa and lives there. And if Miami doesn't get anymore Super Bowls then who will get MORE Super Bowls (aka more $$$$$$)......TAMPA!!

And Raymond James Stadium is a little outdated itself
el diablo
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »

Seriously? Many believe= "some people say" in Fox Speak. There is nothing stopping Mr. Ross from spending less than a quarter of his self worth to pay for this himself. Nothing. If he wants others to pay for the other 30% that he's not paying for, he can hold a telethon. Therefore the only ones affected are the ones donating "to the cause".

With that being said. What was shady was Weatherford going back on his word. According to Ross, as far as the vote coming to the floor.
Landshark
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2013, 07:53:41 am »

Another thing to consider is that the Marlins, who were a big source of revenue for the Dolphins, are no longer in Sun Life Stadium
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2013, 01:11:56 pm »

As Expected. Mike Dee declares the Dolphins future in Miami in doubt

Jim DeFede ‏@DeFede 1m
On Facing South Florida this morning @MikeDeeFins declares @MiamiDolphins  will no longer invest money into Sun Life, teams future in doubt
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2013, 01:19:54 pm »

That's what I meant when I posted this:

^^ That's my problem as well.  From things I've been reading online, its believed that the one guy in the legislature who stopped it had some political or financial agenda he was promoting and stopped it for selfish reasons.  

I didn't know the details or that it was directly football related but that's just a bunch of horsecrap.
Stinger24

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2013, 04:38:55 pm »

There is more riding on this bill than just the Dolphins stadium. The Jags, Daytona international speedway and a new soccer stadium in Orlando are all tied to it. There are some other large forces pushing for something to get done. We have not seen the last of this discussion.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2013, 05:46:33 pm »

There is more riding on this bill than just the Dolphins stadium. The Jags, Daytona international speedway and a new soccer stadium in Orlando are all tied to it. There are some other large forces pushing for something to get done. We have not seen the last of this discussion.

Considering how Ross and Dee are killing the Speaker of the House (Weatherford) and the guy who is in line to be the NEXT Speaker of the House in Florida....I think its over for the Dolphins when it comes to Public Money. The next few years if not more like maybe a decade they won't have the speaker of the house on their side. Don't expect any bills to come to the floor that will HELP the Miami Dolphins!

Sounds clear as of today from interviews and reports that Ross plans on selling this team soon (next couple years) and it will be up to the new owner to beg to get the politicians of Miami/Florida to build him a stadium or just say F' it and were moving to LA.
Stinger24

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2013, 08:39:00 pm »

And the Orlando Magic were leaving Orlando a few years ago. The Kings were leaving Sacramento too. I can go on and on this is how these things go. Threaten whine cry piss moan eventually you get what you want. I find it hard to believe after giving in to the Marlins demands that they will let the Dolphins leave south Florida. I guess we will see.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »

And the Orlando Magic were leaving Orlando a few years ago. The Kings were leaving Sacramento too. I can go on and on this is how these things go. Threaten whine cry piss moan eventually you get what you want. I find it hard to believe after giving in to the Marlins demands that they will let the Dolphins leave south Florida. I guess we will see.

But those teams didn't have the #2 media market in the country looking to add a team in that sport. They didn't have blueprints for a mega stadium with huge money investors looking for a team chasing a team. This is very very different.

Remember, the state and city has no lease with the Dolphins and they don't have any claim to the stadium. Whoever owns the Fins can pack up and leave at any time with NO consequences!  The NFL may be upset but how hard would they cry if someone wanted to go to LA and solve that problem for them and bring that media market to them! The NFL wouldn't put up a fight.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:42 am »

Or maybe it is that someone who represents the taxpayers of Tampa doesn't believe that the taxpayers of Tampa should fund a stadium in Miami. 

As I said earlier in the thread....

I oppose spending tax dollars on all sports stadiums.

Two reason:

1.  I support raising tax dollars on billionares and millionares to give min wage employees healthcare.  I oppose raising taxes on min wage employees to benifit billionares and millionares.  And the people this helps is first and foremost Ross (a billionare) second, large hotel chains (multimillionares) and third luxuary box fans.  (upper class and uppermiddle class). 

2. I oppose tax dollars, tax breaks, economic developement dollars etc, being used to compete with other regions of our country because it is bad national policy.  In the US the vast majority of economic developement dollars and tax breaks are not used to keep jobs in the is country, but to attact the business from one area of the country to another.  Having a football stadium in Miami instead of LA or Los Vegas does nothing to help the national economy or unemployment rate.  Other countries use the majority of economic dollars to improve nationally.  (E.g. India/China/Japan uses its economic dev $$ to bring jobs from the USA to their countires not to fight over where in India the jobs will go.) Only the USA thinks so provincally.  We need to change that if we are going to compete internationally. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
el diablo
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:03 am »

Hoodie for President!

The writing is on the wall for something changing. Be it ownership or location. If the team moves, I won't be making the "fan" move with them. If the ownership changes, hopefully this doesn't become Seattle part II.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:09 am »

^^ you don't understand the deal, obviously.

The taxes would come from Miami Dade county only, not from the state of Florida.  The revenue would be raised by a 1% increase in hotel tax in Miami-Dade county only. Of the money raised by the tax increase, only 75% of it would go to the Dolphins for this project.

Frankly speaking, not a single resident of Miami-Dade county would have to pay a single penny in taxes, unless they stay in a Miami-Dade county hotel.

This deal had nothing to do with the USA and everything to do with helping the LOCAL economy.  Thus I get it why you wouldn't understand.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:54:28 am by Brian Fein » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2013, 11:03:32 am »

Yeah, it is strange that a county tax was decided at the state level.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray