Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86554 times)
phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:12 pm »

I have been sorta following this and as I understand Ross was lauded as an owner who was willing to pay more than any owner in the past. They had to find out if the tax would be legal so Ross agreed to cover the cost to get it on the floor for a vote,It was a big chunk of money. Weatherford agreed it would get on the floor then changes his mind at the last second. It was not to approve the tax but to put it on the ballot for the voters of Miami Dade to vote on. Ross even said if the voters did not approve it he would take the loss for getting it on the floor. Ross also agreed to pay back the money if the dolphins did not land a superbowl, more or less turning it into a loan. So I understand why Ross is pissed. I wonder if he gets his money back since it didn't make it to the floor. And is it ethical for Weatherford to agree to put it on the floor take the money then change his mind? I know ethics and politics right.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2013, 05:03:00 pm »

From 1995-1997, four NFL teams moved.  Meanwhile, at the same time, you would have had to go back to 1978 to find 4 examples of NBA teams moving.  It's just timing.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't think 4 NBA teams have ever moved at once if that is what you are saying. If you are saying you have to look back to 1978 to find a total of four NBA teams that moved, it is just incorrect. Seven teams relocated during that period of time (while still discounting the Nets).
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »

Ross agreed to cover the cost to get it on the floor for a vote 

Excuse my ignorance, but what costs are involved with getting a bill on the floor for a vote? Something about having to pay to get a bill considered seems a wee bit shady to me.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »

^^^ The money had nothing to do with the legislature bringing something to the floor. Since this was a special election to be voted on in the local counties, the Dolphins were charged with money associated with opening the polls, early voting, etc.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »

Since this was a special election to be voted on in the local counties, the Dolphins were charged with money associated with opening the polls, early voting, etc.

They "were" charged?  Or they "would have been" charged, had the bill gone to the floor?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:53 pm »

Sounded to me like they WERE charged, in which case its ridiculous that the bull never went to vote.  Its like buying a bunch of stuff online and them never sending it to you.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2013, 06:20:50 pm »

Excuse my ignorance, but what costs are involved with getting a bill on the floor for a vote? Something about having to pay to get a bill considered seems a wee bit shady to me.

They "were" charged?  Or they "would have been" charged, had the bill gone to the floor?

I think MikeO mentioned it a few pages back:

Side note: Ross paid for 100% of this May 14th vote out of his own pocket. $3.4 million. The vote that now won't take place. That was a non-refundable payment. So he just lost $3.4 million. Think Ross is happy these days with the Florida legislature?! HA!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:22:33 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2013, 06:25:33 pm »

^^^ That seems a little questionable, just from a logic standpoint.  I mean, seriously, how would that negotiation go?

Politician-dude:  "If you want your bill to go to the floor, it will cost you $3.4 million."
Ross-dude:  "So, for $3.4 million, you guys will put it to a vote?"
Politician-dude:  "No, but we'll seriously consider sending it to the floor."
Ross-dude:  "Oh, that's OK...as long as you consider doing it."

~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »

You don't think winning games will effect revenue?
It's not just selling out the games, it's the merchandising boost it would create, plus concessions etc. On top of that they would probably be able to raise ticket prices, concession prices etc. Would probably help make getting a vote a little easier as well. I think you underestimate what a 14-2 season and a SB win would do for the team.

Now it wouldn't fix everything, I'm not suggesting it would, but I think it would keep the Dolphins in Miami.

It helps....but would not bring in the type of money on a consistent basis to fix Miami's cash flow problem
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2013, 06:49:06 pm »

threats of moving the dolphins are laughable...

the nfl isn't about moving a franchise in what is around the #8 media market (dade, broward, palm beach), to a market that is slightly bigger. that is like moving pieces of the total nfl television revenue around.

They moved a franchise from the #2 media market and never replaced it. Kinda blows your theory out the water!

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2013, 06:52:31 pm »

According to the following Miami was 29th in attendance with only 76% of stadium capacity at home games (by far the lowest number in the NFL). You don't think a 25% increase (or more) in ticket sales, concessions, merchendising etc for 8 games would make a difference? I respectfully disagree. That plus whatever Miami would get if they hosted a playoff game or 2 for example? Like I said, it wouldn't fix all the issues, but it sure would help.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2012

Helping the issue isn't FIXING the issue. This issue needs to be fixed not a temporary band-aid. Being able to bring in Super Bowls and NCAA Title games on a consistent basis FIXES the cash flow problem for this team. "Helping the problem" is a band-aid and means this problem never goes away and each passing year will get worse eventually.

The Fins wanted to fix this problem with a slight upgrade that was pretty cheap. Not fixing this problem NOW means either the team leaves OR in about 10 years you build a new stadium that will cost a boat load of money more!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »

I wonder if he gets his money back since it didn't make it to the floor. And is it ethical for Weatherford to agree to put it on the floor take the money then change his mind? I know ethics and politics right.

Nope, it was a non-refundable payment. He is out all the money
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »

^^^ That seems a little questionable, just from a logic standpoint.  I mean, seriously, how would that negotiation go?

Politician-dude:  "If you want your bill to go to the floor, it will cost you $3.4 million."
Ross-dude:  "So, for $3.4 million, you guys will put it to a vote?"
Politician-dude:  "No, but we'll seriously consider sending it to the floor."
Ross-dude:  "Oh, that's OK...as long as you consider doing it."

You are misunderstanding what Ross paid for. Ross PAID for the special election to take place, and he had to pay up front because of early voting rules. So he paid the $3.4 mill for the special election because he was promised by everyone this was going to the floor. The Dolphins doing their due-diligence talked to the politicians and felt they had the votes (and they did which is why all of the politicians are upset now.)   Since everyone from the Speaker, House, Senate, and the Dolphins were on the same page of this was going to go to a vote and be brought to the floor and they had the votes needed!!  By Speaker Weatherford double-crossing EVERYONE.....Ross is out a lot of money and he (Weatherford) screwed over the people of South Florida and the politicians of South Florida that he lied too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:59:53 pm by MikeO » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2013, 07:08:55 pm »

^^^ While Weatherford is getting the majority of the press on this, several South Florida politicians were against this thing and several sat on the fence to be wooed.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2013, 07:10:16 pm »

^^^ While Weatherford is getting the majority of the press on this, several South Florida politicians were against this thing and several sat on the fence to be wooed.

It passed the senate. They had enough votes in the house. This was a non issue. Some were against it, ok. Fair. But they had the votes to pass a bill that was JUST going to let the citizens decide.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray