Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:32:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86655 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2013, 03:18:34 pm »

In all seriousness, though, I think that the sweet spot for sports teams down here is Ft. Lauderdale.  We basically have 2 population centers -- Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm (with cities in between). 

Ft. Lauderdale is a good balance, where people from all of those places can reasonably get to a game.  Where is is now (Hallendale, just a little bit South of Ft. Lauderdale) is pretty good.  Miami is a strange city.  It's not like Chicago and New York in that the people that go to the games don't live downtown.  Look at the Miami Arena....nobody living there is going to those games.   It's all low income housing.

I am not sure if Miami is all that unique in that most of the fans need to travel to get to the game.

I think that is the norm.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »

I am not sure if Miami is all that unique in that most of the fans need to travel to get to the game.

I think that is the norm.   

Yes, but we don't have the same urban centers with public transit and other things going on in those areas.  You don't go anywhere near the Dolphins game unless you're specifically going to game.  There's nothing else within miles in any direction except low income housing.

But people do go to Bayside (American Airlines Arena), Sawgrass Mills Mall (Bank Atlantic Center), etc.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2013, 04:02:40 pm »

Yes, but we don't have the same urban centers with public transit and other things going on in those areas.  You don't go anywhere near the Dolphins game unless you're specifically going to game.  There's nothing else within miles in any direction except low income housing.

But people do go to Bayside (American Airlines Arena), Sawgrass Mills Mall (Bank Atlantic Center), etc.

Foxoboro is in the middle of suburbia. Granted some of the people in the town do go to the game, but nobody goes to Foxoboro other than for the game.

When the Pats were picking in the top of the draft every year.  Now that they pick in the 20's people don't mind driving to nowhere.

The location of Dolphin stadium wasn't a problem when you had a QB named Marino.  Dolphin's problem isn't the location of the stadium.   

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:01 pm »

Foxoboro is in the middle of suburbia. Granted some of the people in the town do go to the game, but nobody goes to Foxoboro other than for the game.

When the Pats were picking in the top of the draft every year.  Now that they pick in the 20's people don't mind driving to nowhere.

The location of Dolphin stadium wasn't a problem when you had a QB named Marino.  Dolphin's problem isn't the location of the stadium.   

No one is watching football at Foxboro anymore. Are you really a New England fan?  Evil
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2013, 04:27:27 pm »

No one is watching football at Foxboro anymore. Are you really a New England fan?  Evil

huh?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2013, 04:29:03 pm »

Foxboro is a parking lot. The stadium is called Gillette. The town is spelled Foxborough.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2013, 04:38:20 pm »

Foxboro is a parking lot. The stadium is called Gillette. The town is spelled Foxborough.

Town is spelled both ways.

http://calendar.boston.com/foxboro_ma/venues/show/11243-gillette-stadium

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2013, 05:35:07 pm »

Dolphin's problem isn't the location of the stadium.  

I agree.  I'm not using that as an excuse.  The Dolphins stadium is actually in a pretty good spot and relatively accessible from all areas.  I'm more referring to the bad choices by putting the Marlins stadium where it is.  It's hard to get to, no parking, no public transit, no surrounding night-life to get walk up traffic or get people to parlay the game into dinner/drinks, etc.

I'm just saying that if you have the opportunity to move the stadium, you might as well do it where you can put some other stuff as well.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2013, 05:52:12 pm »

^^ to be fair, the Marlins built 4 huge parking structures around their stadium, and there are several peripheral lots with bus transportation to and from.  The nightlife is built into the stadium (The Clevelander) by design - they want your post-game money too.

I do agree that the location sucks, though, and I think this year's attendance numbers show it.

[/hijack]
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »

One ballot for both Super Bowl votes... San Francisco, as expected, got Super Bowl 50, and Houston got Super Bowl 51.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2013, 04:23:29 pm »

Miami has officially joined the likes of San Diego. Out of the Super Bowl loop forever until they get a new stadium or upgrades. And both teams will always be linked to being moved to a new city.

The fact that Robert Kraft (the defacto leader of the owners) went public today and said the city of Miami and the taxpayers need to step up and help out with financing upgrades/new stadium is also a warning sign that if Ross or the next owner wants to move the team out of Miami, the current owners won't stop it from happening!!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #281 on: May 21, 2013, 04:31:34 pm »

I believe they would be more likely to "find a way" to upgrade the stadium before they just let the Dolphins pack up and leave.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #282 on: May 21, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »

I believe they would be more likely to "find a way" to upgrade the stadium before they just let the Dolphins pack up and leave.

Who's "they"? The league ain't gonna pay for it.

If the league is chipping in then we are in line behind San Diego!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:17 pm »

not the league, the Florida politicians.  I'm sure they can recognize the detriment it would be to to South Florida to lose the Miami Dolphins.  I imagine if it became a discussion of "improve the stadium or lose the team," maybe it sways a few extra votes. 

I think the threat of losing the team completely, not just Super Bowls, makes it more important.

At least, I'd hope so...
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #284 on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »

not the league, the Florida politicians.  I'm sure they can recognize the detriment it would be to to South Florida to lose the Miami Dolphins.  I imagine if it became a discussion of "improve the stadium or lose the team," maybe it sways a few extra votes. 

I think the threat of losing the team completely, not just Super Bowls, makes it more important.

At least, I'd hope so...

You are more optimistic then me. I think "some" politicians would wear it as a badge of honor if they said NO to the NFL and the NFL/Dolphins left town. They could run on we put schools and jobs above the NFL and that would win them votes with groups of people. It's not what they want, but if it came to that I think it wouldn't bother some of them in the least if the Dolphins moved.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray