Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 03:09:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  18 game season with two games of rest.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 18 game season with two games of rest.  (Read 12598 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:04 am »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/23/nfl-resumes-quiet-push-for-18-game-schedule/

I am fascinated by the idea of  having an 18 game season, but one in which each player is only allowed to play in 16 games.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a fascinating idea? 

This would add an exciting aspect of the game and would add a new chess game aspect to managing a team.

Do you rotate out out one or two starters each week?

Choose you two toughest games on the schedule and rest your starters for those games and play for the win on the other 16?

Play the first 16 games with all your players trying to clinch a playoff spot and then plan to rest your starters the last two weeks to get them ready for the playoffs.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:56:55 am »

awful idea. hate it
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:51 am »

Everyone would end up starting their scrubs week 1 & 2.  People would just sit their starters, effectively making the last two preseason games count.

Of course, you could rotate guys and jockey people in and out, but this makes it unnecessarily complicated.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:28:16 am »

I don't care for it.  I think that it might incentivize "giving up" on your tough games and sitting everyone.  It's already happening like that in the NBA and causing a bunch of stink.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:34:19 am »

Terrible idea.
Landshark
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:34:58 am »

Not a good plan at all.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 11:37:02 am »

The TV networks will never let it happen. Imagine next Monday night Saints vs Fins ...two teams 3-0. Will be a great game the country will want to see two unbeaten teams play. Lot of intrigue in that game now.

But its a "non-conference game" in September, if ya lose its not a huge deal still would be 3-1. So Miami benches Tannehill to rest him after he got hit a lot this past week. Saints pick this as a game to rest Brees cause...its a non-conference game so whatever.

Think ESPN wants a Matt Moore vs Luke McCown matchup on Monday Night football? Yeah, don't think so.

Which is why this idea will NEVER HAPPEN!  The Networks won't allow it. They pay far too much $$$ for the games to let this ever take place.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:44 am »

2 preseason games
 - bye week -
18 games (over 19 weeks)
Wildcard round - 16 playoff teams (1 game Thurs, 3 Sat, 3 Sun, 1 Mon)
Divisional Round - 8 teams
Conference Round - 4 teams
- bye week - w/ Pro Bowl week (skills competition, rock and jock style flag football, etc) - at Super Bowl site
Super Bowl

I drink your milkshake!
miamid45
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 01:07:25 pm »

Just bring on more games...18 would be great...I guess 2 bye weeks for each team is out of the question, though?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 01:22:58 pm »

^ I guess not.  You could do 18 games over 20 weeks.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »

I've heard this idea before.  I think its a bad one.  The season's long enough as it is.  If anything, since we have to pretend Goodell actually cares about player safety, they ought to shorten the season to 14 games, and shorten the preseason to a maximum three games. 

Also since we have 4 divisions in each conference, only the division winners should go to the playoffs.  The season will be over the first or second week of January. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
el diablo
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »

These guys are just determined to expand the regular season. Its just a matter of time until this monster eats itself. I've never heard a MLB or NBA fan say, "Man, this regular season is just too short. We need more games." Whatever, they're going to do what they want to do.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:33 pm »

I've never heard a MLB or NBA fan say, "Man, this regular season is just too short. We need more games." Whatever, they're going to do what they want to do.

MLB regular season: 162 games
NBA regular season:  81 games
NFL regular season:  16 games

You see where your argument runs into a wall, right?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:31 am »

I think 18 regular season games and 2 preseason games will happen its just a matter of WHEN and not IF. There is just too much $$$$$ for everyone (owners and players.) It will happen its just about splitting up the $$$$ to make all sides happy. TV networks don't want preseason games, fans don't to be forced to buy preseason game tickets. There is no good reason not to move to 18 regular season games.

One thing that I think could go away though is the weekly Thursday night package. It just isn't working. Fans hate it, the match-up's for the most part aren't intriguing, and coaches and players hate it. I think what you could see is a DOUBLE HEADER every Monday night. An early 7pm game for the east coast folks to keep them happy so they can stay awake and watch a whole game on a Monday and a 10pm game which would feature west coast teams for the most part so they got a nice game in primetime for them too. Two national games on a Monday would be a boom for this league I think.  I think if they go to 18 games you will see them mix up the TV time slots and maybe do away with the Thursday night games which is just failing all around for NFL Network.
Landshark
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:33 am »

I think 18 regular season games and 2 preseason games will happen its just a matter of WHEN and not IF. There is just too much $$$$$ for everyone (owners and players.) It will happen its just about splitting up the $$$$ to make all sides happy. TV networks don't want preseason games, fans don't to be forced to buy preseason game tickets. There is no good reason not to move to 18 regular season games.

One thing that I think could go away though is the weekly Thursday night package. It just isn't working. Fans hate it, the match-up's for the most part aren't intriguing, and coaches and players hate it. I think what you could see is a DOUBLE HEADER every Monday night. An early 7pm game for the east coast folks to keep them happy so they can stay awake and watch a whole game on a Monday and a 10pm game which would feature west coast teams for the most part so they got a nice game in primetime for them too. Two national games on a Monday would be a boom for this league I think.  I think if they go to 18 games you will see them mix up the TV time slots and maybe do away with the Thursday night games which is just failing all around for NFL Network.

Good point on the Thursday night games.  It failed back in the 80's for the same reason it's failing now.  It just doesn't work when teams play on Sunday then have to play again on Thursday. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray