Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:54:26 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  15 yard penalty for use of a certain word
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: 15 yard penalty for use of a certain word  (Read 16145 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:18 am »

No, my argument is that language imperceptible to 99.999% of people observing shouldn't affect the outcome of the game by way of the largest enforceable penalty in the game.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:17 am »

So if you and a friend are in the break room (or locker room) and you say it and nobody who is likely to get offended hears it, then you won't get punished.  However, if you did it in front of customers, clients ( or fans) you will be fired ( or get a 15 yards penalty)

Trying to conduct the NFL and other professional sports to "normal" business practices is pretty absurd. If I disagree with a guy in a meeting and we get heated and I throw a punch or two I am fired. Not fined or suspended....fired. So should we start firing every athlete for throwing a punch at another athlete during the heat of battle or during practice?  Roll Eyes

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »

Trying to conduct the NFL and other professional sports to "normal" business practices is pretty absurd. If I disagree with a guy in a meeting and we get heated and I throw a punch or two I am fired. Not fined or suspended....fired.
If you make $500k+ per year at your job and you throw "a punch or two," you probably are not fired, depending on who you threw the punch at.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »

Trying to conduct the NFL and other professional sports to "normal" business practices is pretty absurd. If I disagree with a guy in a meeting and we get heated and I throw a punch or two I am fired. Not fined or suspended....fired. So should we start firing every athlete for throwing a punch at another athlete during the heat of battle or during practice?  Roll Eyes

While in general where the NFL has rules that match society at large, in almost every instance the punishment is lighter.  The NFL does not allow illegal drug use or other off field illegal activity, with most employers you would be fired first offense, with the NFL you get multiple chances. 

I don't have a problem with not every NFL player being fired for getting into a fight, but most of the time there is some punishment (granted running laps is much less of a punishment than being fired).  But a 15 yard penalty is pretty minor when compared to being fired too. 

I do have a problem with the boss (GM) suggesting that employees handle their differences thru fighting regardless of the work setting. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:02 pm »

So we only hold these guys to the "standard" business practices when it supports your argument? On one hand you are stating it is black or white on the other you are allowing a grey area........

A 15 yard penalty is ridiculous.....you want to fine them or make them run laps....ok by me...... a penalty is ludicrous!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 12:49:20 pm »

Actually there really is no reason to even make this a separate rule. 

The act of calling someone a n***** is unsportsmanlike conduct by its very nature. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 01:03:10 pm »

Actually there really is no reason to even make this a separate rule. 

The act of calling someone a n***** is unsportsmanlike conduct by its very nature. 

Yes, if used aggressively.
The same as if someone says motherfucker to another person.

But both of these can be used in normal conversation in a way that a majority of these individuals wouldn't consider offensive.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 02:25:39 pm »

Yes, if used aggressively.
The same as if someone says motherfucker to another person.

But both of these can be used in normal conversation in a way that a majority of these individuals wouldn't consider offensive.

Of course....the NFL rules don't have enough rules which require a judgment call by the refs, we would be better off with a rule in which the ref doesn't just have to determine if the word was used and by whom but also must determine the intent of the speaker, that rule would be much easier to administrate and less prone to error than one in which the word is banned entirely regardless of the intent of the speaker.   Shocked

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 02:31:51 pm »

Honestly, I bet I'm not going to see this called all year (if adopted). I bet the word gets thrown around a lot in various connotations, but I'm just guessing I'll never see it called.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:34:22 pm by Phishfan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:06 pm »

Honestly, I bet I'm not going to see this called all year (if adopted). I bet the word gets thrown around a lot in various connotations, but I'm just guessing I'll never see it called.

I will agree it will rarely be called but for a different reason.  Any player that gets this called on him is going to get serious ire from the coach, it is one thing to draw a flag on PI and say you were just playing aggressively, giving up 15 yards because of this is going to be inexcusable and is likely to get you benched.   

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 02:53:48 pm »

Sorry, I think Hoodie is way off base here.  This is sports, not corporate America.

There are some places where the similarities end.  These guys train too hard and work to hard to have the game hinged on a slip of the tongue for a word that they may use on a daily bases, even when talking to teammates and friends. 

I personally believe the league is trying to create a nice face in front of the press in light of recent events, and this is a typical overreaction.

As I said, I'm fine with discipline, but it shouldn't be translated into performance-related punishment on the field during the game.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 03:00:18 pm »

If you want to make a rule emphasis on aggressive profanity (including the N-word) as part of unsportsmanlike conduct, I'm OK with that.

But to specifically make a blanket N-word penalty seems like an over-legislation.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »

If you want to make a rule emphasis on aggressive profanity (including the N-word) as part of unsportsmanlike conduct, I'm OK with that.

I would support expending it to ban MotherF***er etc. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »

^ Isn't this already covered under Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 03:06:59 pm »

Remind me. Why are we worried that roided and juiced up meat heads that play "A GAME" call each other names? I doubt that they care as much as the PC crowd does. Oh, the "N" word, so scary. Let's push the agenda a bit more.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray