Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:24:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL approves Raiders move to Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NFL approves Raiders move to Vegas  (Read 2670 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:56 pm »

The NFL owners approved the Raiders moving to Las Vegas, still some issues to work out, but they will be moving.  However, it will be three years before the new stadium is ready.  Next year is still at the Coliseum, and they have an option for 2018 at the Coliseum, but who knows where they will play in 2019.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »

Wonder what the odds are that they move into their new stadium by 2019?

Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 03:49:59 pm »

Evil Evil Angry Angry

UPSET,  Some may be OK with this but man this sux, so 31 other owner felt that this was best for the  franchise. I guess so. Im sort of a traditionalist. I hated when they moved to LA in the 80's now that the are going to LV  I REALLY HATE THIS.  Its not my team but man.  LV now will have 2 franchises coming.  NFL and NHL .  The funny thin is that I do see the RAIDERS returning to OAK in the future. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:06:59 pm »

Just a few years ago the NFL in Vegas seemed like it would never happen. Interestingly, Miami was the lone no vote.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:08:39 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:14:25 pm »

The powers behind this move are obviously a lot more savvy than I am.  But I am scratching my head as to the sustainability of a franchise in Vegas.  For the first couple of years I can see the novelty of a new team putting butts in the seats.  But Vegas is such a transient and tourist city....is there a permanent resident population that will keep occupancy up?  I would also think that a large percentage of the Vegas population is employed in the service industry without the amount of disposable income required to fully embrace the NFL experience.  Meh, who knows, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something. 
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:17:34 pm »

Only 1 owner voted NO to the move and that guy is getting mad props today and the most popular person in Oakland and with many fans around the league as he was the voice of the fans today.

One guess who it was.............that's right STEPHEN ROSS!!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:54 pm »

As a lifelong fan of the "real" Bay-area team, the 49ers, all I can say to the Raiders is... Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:11 pm »

The powers behind this move are obviously a lot more savvy than I am.  But I am scratching my head as to the sustainability of a franchise in Vegas.  For the first couple of years I can see the novelty of a new team putting butts in the seats.  But Vegas is such a transient and tourist city....is there a permanent resident population that will keep occupancy up?  I would also think that a large percentage of the Vegas population is employed in the service industry without the amount of disposable income required to fully embrace the NFL experience.  Meh, who knows, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something. 

I don't think they will have any trouble selling out games, they may not be "raiders" fans in the seats, but they will sell out.  Lots of teams travel well, this is the perfect destination to go see your team on the road.  Not to mention some of those people in the "service" industry make a pretty good buck due to tips.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 07:33:21 pm »

Where do you think all the dealers and cocktail waitresses abd showgirls live?

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:07:52 am »

You guys could be right about them being able to fill the stadium.  I freely admit that my concerns are just a "gut instinct" and nothing that I had any kind of factual basis for.  I just looked up the year round population of Vegas and it is higher than I thought it was too.  They should definitely sell seats easily the first year or two, but I still think it will be interesting to see how they do after the "new" wears off.  I suppose some tourists will go to see games while they are in town doing other things. 
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:36 am »

So I googled map the distance for the die-hard RAIDERS fan to go see their team.  Its an 8hr 30min  drive from OAK to LV.   Hell I'm stationed in South Carolina right now and I drove to MIAMI to watch the Dolphins play 9 hr drive.  So i guess its not that bad.  While i may not be the average fan who attends games on a regular basis , maybe many in the Oakland community will make Vegas an event to go to every now and then.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 10:53:01 am »

I am normally against this kind of thing, but I just love Vegas so much that I'll probably travel to every away game there.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:59 am »

So I googled map the distance for the die-hard RAIDERS fan to go see their team.  Its an 8hr 30min  drive from OAK to LV.   Hell I'm stationed in South Carolina right now and I drove to MIAMI to watch the Dolphins play 9 hr drive.  So i guess its not that bad.  While i may not be the average fan who attends games on a regular basis , maybe many in the Oakland community will make Vegas an event to go to every now and then.

If I was in Oakland I would buy an F the Raiders t-shirt today. I would not even attend the rest of the games in Oakland much less travel anywhere to see them. The organization has taken a dump on the city not once but twice during my lifetime. At some point enough would be enough.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:00 am »

So I googled map the distance for the die-hard RAIDERS fan to go see their team.  Its an 8hr 30min  drive from OAK to LV.   Hell I'm stationed in South Carolina right now and I drove to MIAMI to watch the Dolphins play 9 hr drive.  So i guess its not that bad.
For context: it would have been significantly faster and easier for Oakland Raiders fans to travel to LA Raiders home games in the '80s.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »

Fuck the Raiders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/28/nevada-businessman-plans-a-raiders-themed-brothel/

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray