Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:52:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Greatest Dynasty Ever?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Greatest Dynasty Ever?  (Read 6803 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: March 28, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »

Has there ever been a team more dominant than UConn women basketball?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:40:43 pm »

If we are going to consider level of competition, then I'd say either John Wooden's UCLA men's basketball teams or Bill Russell's Celtics.

If we aren't, I'm sure there's some high school somewhere that's been more dominant.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:21:41 am »

None that I can think of.  In fact, when I saw the Subject line, UCONN women's basketball immediately popped into my mind before I even opened it and saw that was what you had said as well. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:48 am »

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever watched one of their games? I've got no interest. This makes me wonder if their dominance is good for the sport as a whole.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:12 am »

I have.  I am old school regarding basketball preferring to watch a game played under the rim.  Shooting passing, dribbling rather than dunking.  Women's basketball offers the best version of that.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:37:40 pm »

I think they are probably the most "dominant" for the length of time in question.  But a "Dynasty" (IMO) covers a longer term, so I don't think they have reached the level of greatest dynasty ever.  Plus I think you have to judge the level of competition and difficulty in accomplishing their records.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:46:31 pm »

...you guys are aware that while UConn women have won 4 titles in a row, UCLA men won 7 in a row (and 10 out of 12), right?

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 05:58:15 am »

Tough to take the UCONN women seriously as an all time great dynasty. Great accomplishment no doubt,  but there are about 30 "great" women college basketball players in the country and he gets 15 of them off the top and the others are sprinkled around to the rest of the schools.

Let me watch Geno take over a men's program and then do the same thing then I will be impressed where there are about 100-200 "great" college basketball players in the country every year. Let me see him dominate when the field is more evened out.

When ranking the Greatest Dynasty's ever UCONN isn't in the Top 10. Just because the level of competition isn't there. UCLA is up there. The Yankees runs in the 30's, 50's and late 90's are up there. Pittsburgh Steelers of the late 70's is up there. UCONN isn't close to that level at all.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 03:10:27 am »

And UCONN lost.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 07:34:58 am »

And UCONN lost.

All good things must come to an end at some point

Tough to take the UCONN women seriously as an all time great dynasty. Great accomplishment no doubt,  but there are about 30 "great" women college basketball players in the country and he gets 15 of them off the top and the others are sprinkled around to the rest of the schools.

Let me watch Geno take over a men's program and then do the same thing then I will be impressed where there are about 100-200 "great" college basketball players in the country every year. Let me see him dominate when the field is more evened out.

When ranking the Greatest Dynasty's ever UCONN isn't in the Top 10. Just because the level of competition isn't there. UCLA is up there. The Yankees runs in the 30's, 50's and late 90's are up there. Pittsburgh Steelers of the late 70's is up there. UCONN isn't close to that level at all.

Coach Auriemma is a great recruiter.  What else can be said?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:51:03 am by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 12:59:52 am »

In VFL/AFL (Australian Rules Football) the greatest recent dynasty was Hawthorn between 1983-1991, eight grand final appearances (of nine years) and five premierships. That would have been prior to the salary cap, and ending just as the South Australian (and future expansion teams) came in which significantly changed the landscape.

Since then (in what would be described as perhaps a more fully professional, genuinely national competition) the two most dominant dynasties would be Brisbane and Hawthorn, both with three successive premierships from four consecutive grand final appearances (2001-2004 and 2012-2015)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:06:23 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:20 am »

And UCONN lost.

Me throwing UCONN out there as my "dynasty team" was pretty much the kiss of death for them.  I'm like the grim reaper of sports.  My wife always asks me to stop rooting for the Dolphins during their games because she wants them to at least have a chance at winning.   Grin
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 10:44:05 am »

In VFL/AFL (Australian Rules Football)

Thanks for expanding the discussion beyond the US.

Fair to say Aussie Football is a lot closer to rugby than to American or Canadian football?

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »

The Hawks, before Gordon Bombay came around.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »

The Hawks, before Gordon Bombay came around.

On that note Harlem Globe Trotters have an impressive win loss record.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray