Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:40:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What happened to NASCAR?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What happened to NASCAR?  (Read 4553 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:32:42 pm »

It was super popular just a few years ago.  Mainstream, sponsors, interesting storylines, promoted on major networks.  They made it very accessible.  But it seems that it's kinda back to being a niche.

Any ideas on what may have caused that?  Or am I reading this wrong?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:48:37 pm »

I think the core of NASCAR support never really changed.  D Patrick briefly brought others into the sport, but as she began to fade so did the temporary fans.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:07:35 am »

I'm not really someone to ask this to as I never really paid attention to the sport at all. I do know this much though, having Dale Jr retire at the end of this season is only going to hurt it more.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:44:41 am »

I watched Nascar very casually about 7 years ago.  It was just on TV on the weekends and I would put on the race and have a little nap.  But FOX pushed it really hard and they did a good job explaining things to people who weren't traditional fans.

Then I had kids and I don't really get to have random stuff on TV while I take a nap on the couch.  I think that best explains where my fandom went.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:55:14 am »

If I want to see someone driving really-really fast, I'll step down harder on the accelerator...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:03:18 am »

+1 to what Hoodie and Phish said...I'd add Nascar losing Tony Stewart 2016,and Jeff Gordon in 2015 retirements, and Dale jr missing half the year last year (retiring after this year) These were guy's you'd see in advertisements for their sponsors.(Even in the racing offseason)

I was never a fan of Nascar,but I'd watch a race every once in awhile (Daytona 500),and could name a handful of drivers.I could probably come up with a couple,but if I had a name the driver game, I'd fail miserably.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:46 pm »

I'd agree with what others have said about losing star drivers.  I'd add two other things also - Constant tinkering with the rules, even in the middle of the season.  Secondly, price; they were so hot for a while that they raised the prices so much for attending a race that they priced many fans out.  It really is a "sport" that generates new fans from people actually attending a race.  Not to mention some people actually identified with a driver/car because of the company sponsoring the team (Budweiser, Miller Lite, etc.), now the cost to sponsor a team is so high that companies are only sponsoring a portion of the season.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:20:28 pm »

Seems like NASCAR and UFC are experiencing similar turns.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:50:22 am »

^ Yeah, kinda.  I still see interest in UFC but it's just anecdotal -- what I see when I go to bars and stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:38:37 am »

^^^ And it appears to me that interest in bars is fading as well. It used to be a big thing to find out what bar had purchased the fight package and now I don't hear anyone talking about it.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:42 am »

^^^ And it appears to me that interest in bars is fading as well. It used to be a big thing to find out what bar had purchased the fight package and now I don't hear anyone talking about it.

Because every bar has the package these days

What UFC was just sold for last year tells you how big that business has grown! UFC is printing money these days
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 09:08:17 am »

Because every bar has the package these days

That is a pipe dream. You countered my saying no one is even discussing it by saying they all have it on the TV. Alternative facts are not real things.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:28 pm »

^ I have an alternate theory on that.  I remember that I used to call around and find the fights and plan that way.  But then, I found a bar that always has them, so the group goes there by default.  It's always full on fight night.  ...but I haven't been in a while.

I drink your milkshake!
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 06:37:46 pm »

That is a pipe dream. You countered my saying no one is even discussing it by saying they all have it on the TV. Alternative facts are not real things.

Because before only a few bars had the package  in each town or city so all the fans would jam into one or two bars, making it seem like this was a huge event that had to be seen creating a "bar atmosphere" of a big event. Now when EVERY bar has it people can go to any bar and watch it and they do. So instead of having one or two bars locally jammed packed to watch the event creating an atmosphere you might have 10 people at this bar, 4 at that bar, 6 at another bar. So it doesn't seem like its a huge event anymore because you can watch it everywhere.

What UFC was just sold for tells you how popular it is, they just are so over-saturated with product and being on TV literally everywhere now (unlike the old days.) It went from being an underground thing where you only a) buy at home on PPV for like $70 bucks or b) go to just 1 or 2 bars locally that had the package  to now being something you can watch literally at any bar in America. Making it main-stream and losing its edge. While it's lost it's edge it hasn't lost it's profits! Get it, got it, good!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:40:09 pm by Baba Booey » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 09:47:17 am »

Because before only a few bars had the package  in each town or city so all the fans would jam into one or two bars, making it seem like this was a huge event that had to be seen creating a "bar atmosphere" of a big event. Now when EVERY bar has it people can go to any bar and watch it and they do. So instead of having one or two bars locally jammed packed to watch the event creating an atmosphere you might have 10 people at this bar, 4 at that bar, 6 at another bar. So it doesn't seem like its a huge event anymore because you can watch it everywhere.

I'll repeat, pipe dream. What you are stating is not reality. I'm telling you (and I would wager money I spend more time in more bars than anyone on this board) that the PPV fights are not in every bar. You are giving alternative facts so I can't do anything if you believe it, but it just isn't true. If anything, the truth is the exact opposite of what you are saying. Years ago more bars were buying the package and they stopped. There were too many places and the fights were not making enough money for the bar. You see, bars have to pay more for a fight than a person sitting at home. The TV packages charge them based on bar capacity so one fight is pretty damn expensive. No bar is going to buy a fight and have 4 people show up unless they plan on taking losses as a business. Is it possible you don't know the difference between the regularly televised fight and the PPV ones? The key to our discussion is I brought up a purchased package. You can find MMA on the regular TV without paying extra but that isn't our discussion. Dave has the best possible explanation, people have figured out the one bar that shows the fight and just go there without discussing it or searching for it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:49:16 am by Phishfan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray