Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:25:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Adam Gase yesterday
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Adam Gase yesterday  (Read 3228 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: September 19, 2017, 02:20:39 am »

I could only follow the game online, but on finheaven, a lot of people were criticizing Gase for calling a timeout before the Chargers attempted the field goal attempt.

What was the situation?  I remember Rivers ran the ball to centralize the kick. Were the Chargers then trying to spike the ball?

Did they have any timeouts left at that point?

My issue with the coaching was on the Dolphins last drive.  When it was first down at the 39, they seemed to play for the VERY long field goal attempt.  Gase was right to have faith in Cody Parkey, given his history, (which I knew nothing about), but given the history of the defense collapsing at the wrong times, I think he should have tried to get the ball further down field and try to eat more time off the clock to try to make the kick the almost final play of the game.  The Dolphins have lost so many games on missed kicks over the years.  It's nice to see it go the other way the last two seasons.  If it continues, it bodes well for the Dolphins this season. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:09 am »

The timeout was probably right, but there was a chance that the Chargers might have screwed themselves. The field goal unit was trying to get out on the field, but Rivers was having none of it and knew exactly what to do (as opposed to whoever sent the field goal unit out). Personally,  I think there was plenty of time for Rivers to assert his will and spike the ball with a couple seconds left on the clock. Calling a timeout gave the Fins a final, desperate, chance to win the game, had the field goal actually been good.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:27 am »

The timeout was probably right, but there was a chance that the Chargers might have screwed themselves. The field goal unit was trying to get out on the field, but Rivers was having none of it and knew exactly what to do (as opposed to whoever sent the field goal unit out). Personally,  I think there was plenty of time for Rivers to assert his will and spike the ball with a couple seconds left on the clock. Calling a timeout gave the Fins a final, desperate, chance to win the game, had the field goal actually been good.

The timeout is not right under any circumstance. LA screwed up and Gase bailed them out. Gase got lucky
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:54 am »

The timeout is not right under any circumstance. LA screwed up and Gase bailed them out. Gase got lucky

I agree.  I get what Gase was thinking in that he would save a couple seconds (maybe) to try to score if the FG was good and the Fins got the ball back.  But the odds of making a desperation play as time expires to score are astronomical.  Gase is obviously a LOT more football intelligent than I am, but I disagree with his call for the timeout in that situation. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 12:33:09 pm »

I agree.  I get what Gase was thinking in that he would save a couple seconds (maybe) to try to score if the FG was good and the Fins got the ball back.  But the odds of making a desperation play as time expires to score are astronomical.
You need to weigh those (small, but non-zero) odds of a Hail Mary against the odds that a 13-year veteran QB will screw up spiking the ball in a situation where they are already at the line of scrimmage.

The odds of a Hail Mary are low.  The odds of Rivers messing up the spike are MUCH lower.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 01:14:31 pm »

Help me out on this one,anyone know where there is Gif,or video of the play before the kick? I was in the WTF WHY,We F'd Up! How could you camp on the time out.

My last meeting last night someone who watched the last 2 mins of the game said to me,If Rivers spiked it, would the Dolphins have gotten busted with 12+ men on the field? I said...I don't know...I remember people shuffling on,a bit on both sides? I was concentrating on the clock ticking down,figuring he was getting ready to spike it...

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 01:55:30 pm »

Looking at the play by play, LAC completed a pass, called their last timeout, Rivers ran the ball for 0 yards (centering the ball?), then MIA called their second timeout.  There is effectively zero chance that Rivers would have messed up a spike in that situation, and there definitely would have been 0:00 remaining if Gase hadn't taken the timeout.

Gase's decision was certainly much better than the alternative: wait until Rivers spikes it at 0:03, then waste a timeout "freezing" the kicker.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 01:56:25 pm »

Look, the decision to take the timeout was likely made before the Chargers started trying to shoot themselves in the foot. Under normal circumstances, it's the right call as per Spider's arguments.

Should they have reconsidered once Chargers' kicking unit started coming on to the field? Yeah, maybe.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »

I have a pretty ironclad rule that prevents me from second-guessing coaches of undefeated teams...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 04:44:39 pm »

Not true. What if Gase called timeout to get Miami's FG unit team on the field to have a better chance at blocking the kick? That's a perfectly reasonable explanation for a timeout in that situation.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 12:57:55 am »

Not true. What if Gase called timeout to get Miami's FG unit team on the field to have a better chance at blocking the kick? That's a perfectly reasonable explanation for a timeout in that situation.

WHAT? The Chargers were rushing there FG unit on the field. Miami could have done the same with their FG block unit
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 10:19:07 am »

You need to weigh those (small, but non-zero) odds of a Hail Mary against the odds that a 13-year veteran QB will screw up spiking the ball in a situation where they are already at the line of scrimmage.

The odds of a Hail Mary are low.  The odds of Rivers messing up the spike are MUCH lower.

Good point.  I really hadn't looked at it from that perspective.  I was thinking that with half the field goal team on the field and only 10 seconds on the clock, even if he did get it spiked, the field goal team wouldn't have gotten off the field in time and they would have been flagged which would make the kick longer.  But the Fins might not have gotten their guys off the field in time either.  But after thinking about what you and several of the other guys said, I can definitely see your point. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 12:13:29 pm »

This probably wouldn't have mattered under any circumstances.  However, when the clock is ticking and things are scrambled, I'd prefer to be the team that didn't have to get it together to score points.  I say that, although the smallest of mistakes, that it would probably have been best to let the clock run and make the Chargers do the right thing.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:12:38 pm »

WHAT? The Chargers were rushing there FG unit on the field. Miami could have done the same with their FG block unit
Doesn't mean they are going to get onto the field and lined up in time to block the kick or that everyone gets off in time to prevent a penalty and a potential 2nd chance at the FG. The timeout ensures that will happen. There was a perfectly reasonable explanation for the timeout. Now, I don't know if that's why the timeout was called, but the fact is that calling the timeout worked. Miami got it's FG unit in the game and lined up. They didn't get penalized for 12 men on the field AND LA missed the kick. Why are we even discussing it?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:24:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »

Doesn't mean they are going to get onto the field and lined up in time to block the kick or that everyone gets off in time to prevent a penalty and a potential 2nd chance at the FG. The timeout ensures that will happen. There was a perfectly reasonable explanation for the timeout. Now, I don't know if that's why the timeout was called, but the fact is that calling the timeout worked. Miami got it's FG unit in the game and lined up. They didn't get penalized for 12 men on the field AND LA missed the kick. Why are we even discussing it?

Because every analyst in America on Monday said Gase got lucky and nobody understands why he called timeout to let LA to line up....lol. But you know better Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray